News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

discrimination against atheists

Started by Happysmiley, June 25, 2008, 04:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happysmiley

I'm planning on making a video about the discrimination towards atheist and then uploading it to youtube. Since I haven't been an atheist for long, I don't have many personal experiences with other people (other than the hateful morons on the Internet). Would anyone here be willing to share some stories of how people have treated you differently because of your beliefs that you would like to be in my video? I'm just sick of it being socially acceptable to pick on atheists, and I don't that many theists realize that.
A few examples:
-At a birthday party for one of my brother's friends, one of the kids was taken home early because his parents found out they would be watching a 'devil movie'. Meaning it was made by an atheist.
-Polls show how people have extremely low opinions on atheists.
-the video 'The Price of Atheism'
-And the Internet flaming spread by loving faithful Christians.

Asmodean

I don't really have any such stories, at least no stories that have not been told before by hundreds and thousands of others who experienced it.

Still, if you feel like it, do include us who were more or less atheists from birth. We neither forsook nor "back-stabbed" any deity, yet still we do get "How DARE you turn your back on God" thrown at us by every self-respecting fundie.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

weedoch

Quote from: "Asmodean"Still, if you feel like it, do include us who were more or less atheists from birth. We neither forsook nor "back-stabbed" any deity, yet still we do get "How DARE you turn your back on God" thrown at us by every self-respecting fundie.

That's me too. Don't forget the old 'I don't care what you have faith in, as long as you have faith in something' line, the assumption being you're less of a person without faith.
I think your film will probably be best concentrated on the USA as in Europe atheists just don't get abused or discriminated against - if anything that's more likely if you have a noticably strong faith.

karadan

Unfortunately i do not have any stories of being discriminated against because i live in England. I guess it is quite cozy over here in that respect.

Sorry.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

LARA

Luckily I haven't experienced any outright discrimination because of my views, but I have a feeling what does go on is more of a subconcious or undercurrent sort of thing.  Say a person is in a job situation and they express their beliefs, or lack thereof, which happen to differ from the rest of the crew.  Noone fires them outright , they just find their work situation gets more and more intolerable until they quit.  Nothing can really be proven because the believers aren't really doing anything obvious, they are just pushing someone out subtley.  Or a company simply doesn't hire outside of it's church, uses Christian job networks or places ads requesting Christian candidates (I have seen these locally, so this is more open discrimination).  It's more like violating one of those silly unwritten social rules than being discriminated against openly.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Smallville

Discrimination? No. Syrupy, sloppy "pity", yes.

When I finally came around to explaining my belief, or lack thereof, I had the following reactions from family:
my daughter thought it was all right and understood from all the talking we had about faith;
my ex-wife was the worst, exclaiming that I would go to hell forever and that she was sorry she ever met me, (go figure, it was just another shot back at me in anger);
my ex-in-laws would pray for my soul (We've had about half a dozen words since then so that was fine by me. They were cordial.);
my brothers - one was okay with it (he's agnostic himself), the other, a hard-core uber-Conservative Republican, looks at it that this is just something else we won't talk about like politics;
my parents, that was the kicker - Dad was cool about it, said I always marched to the beat of that different drummer and let it go; Mom, fretted and worried until I convinced her that it was okay and that, by her beliefs, once she got to heaven she would be in the presence of God and have no knowledge of me. What she didn't know wouldn't sadden her. (The strange things that faith consoles.)

I lost a couple of friends, close friends, parting words there compared me to communists, sexual deviants, and other "low-lifes". They haven't spoken to me since. Their loss.

At work, a few don't speak to me anymore - just as well since their conversations are punctuated with "Praise God", "Praise Jesus", and the like. One lady, choir director at her church, asked me one time in hushed conversation that she heard I was an atheist. I told her yes. She said that while she could not agree with me it didn't seem to make me less of the good person she's always known. Guess that says something.

Other than that, the good woman I'm with now accepts me for who I am, not what I am. The friends and neighbors I have never fail to include me in gatherings or treat me any different. None try to "witness" to me.

It may not be a perfect world but it's one I can live with.
Two wrongs don't make a right but three left turns will.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." â€" Nietzsche
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." - Clarence Darrow

susangail

My family members are conservative Christians. I was a hardcore, evangelical Christian until about 4 or 5 months ago. I told my dad (the most hardcore of my family) I was an atheist sometime in April. Sparks flew. A few of his comments were:

- "you're mind has somehow been poisoned."
- "Where do you get your morals from?" shortly followed by, "Hitler and Stalin made their own morals."
- "What's your reason for living?" interrupted before I could answer
- "I do not support it and I will not respect it."
- "This will not affect Henry," (he used third person), "Henry will continue to believe the Truth." *holds up Bible*
- lots more Bible waving
- etc. etc.

Me and him hardly talk anymore, and when we do, it's sort of pathetic small talk. He constantly makes "Christian comments" like "We'll just have to trust God" or "Praise God!" or "It's in His hands" esp around me. He didn't really talk like that before I told him. He doesn't think of me the same anymore. I can see it in his eyes sometimes. He looked near tears at my birthday last month (I still wonder what exactly triggered that). It really hurts me. It seems like I'm lesser of a person to him now.

It's hard around my house now. I disagree with everyone on just about every issue, which makes real conversations a bit difficult (I like deep discussions, which used to happen all the time in my house, always religion drenched.) I have to hold my tongue a lot which is really hard at times (like when my mom makes comments about things like gay marriage and such). My journal feels the heat later...

No real discrimination, but it's no picnic. I'm only 16.

Please post when the video is done. I'd love to see it!
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Asmodean

Quote from: "susangail"It really hurts me. It seems like I'm lesser of a person to him now.

You know, if it gets too bad, you can always try hiding behind a veil of cold arrogance. If you feel like you are a lesser person, try staring down your nose at people who you feel that towards. It's not the most valiant tactic out there and it certainly won't make other people respect you for what you are, but it might eventually help you not think yourself their inferior.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

susangail

Quote from: "Asmodean"You lnow, if it gets too bad, you can always try hiding behind a veil of cold arrogance. If you feel like you are a lesser person, try staring down your nose at people who you feel that towards. It's not the most valiant tactic out there and it certainly won't make other people respect you for what you are, but it might eventually help you not think yourself their inferior.
Good advice, thank you. I'm not sure if I'm capable of it though...
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

weedoch

susangail you are one strong 16 year old. Hang on in there!

susangail

Quote from: "weedoch"susangail you are one strong 16 year old. Hang on in there!
Thank you! You all have helped me so much with your support alone.

Happysmiley

thanks everyone!  It seems that ruined relationships would definitly be a good topic to cover.  I also found an interesting article about a hatecrime towards atheists hanging up posters advertising a lecture.

I had been planning on videotaping myself talking, but I'm worried people I know will recognize me, so I'll do a narration accompanied by images

Gtg

Salladin

susangail I know exactly where your at, my mom is the same way.  And the worst part is feeling like you don't have an opinion, or that it's not valid, and that you're not a worthy child.  My mom asked me one time why I  just couldn't be normal like my brother.  Just hang in there, stick to your friends and don't let yourself get down.  I try to get out and go, so that way I don't feel belittled at home.  Stay strong.

susangail

Quote from: "Salladin"susangail I know exactly where your at, my mom is the same way.  And the worst part is feeling like you don't have an opinion, or that it's not valid, and that you're not a worthy child.  My mom asked me one time why I  just couldn't be normal like my brother.  Just hang in there, stick to your friends and don't let yourself get down.  I try to get out and go, so that way I don't feel belittled at home.  Stay strong.
I can't thank you enough Salladin. I've got one more week until I get my driver's license and then I'm gone!... at least during the day... But seriously thank you. Sometimes I feel so alone in all this, it's really nice to have this kind of support.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Happysmiley"I'm planning on making a video about the discrimination towards atheist and then uploading it to youtube. Since I haven't been an atheist for long, I don't have many personal experiences with other people (other than the hateful morons on the Internet). Would anyone here be willing to share some stories of how people have treated you differently because of your beliefs that you would like to be in my video? I'm just sick of it being socially acceptable to pick on atheists, and I don't that many theists realize that.
A few examples:
-At a birthday party for one of my brother's friends, one of the kids was taken home early because his parents found out they would be watching a 'devil movie'. Meaning it was made by an atheist.
-Polls show how people have extremely low opinions on atheists.
-the video 'The Price of Atheism'
-And the Internet flaming spread by loving faithful Christians.

Whew this might be a bit long.We moved into our home about two years ago.Well my hubsand's parents lived here before and we love the house.The neighbors are well alittle less then sane.The second time I met our now neighbor I was pregnant with my first son.He offered to buy my baby.WTF!!!During the night around 7 or 8 times he just kept offering.Now this man towers over me,has a booming voice and puts forth  :brick: