News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

discrimination against atheists

Started by Happysmiley, June 25, 2008, 04:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susangail

Quote from: "Chimera"I've been meeting on and off with a counselor for several months. My problem is I have no health insurance, so the only person I'm able to see right now is usually booked out at least a month in advance. I've also been on medication for almost a year, and it's helping somewhat. My dad thinks the counselor and drugs can help with some things, but only a pastor or other spiritual advisor could really help. :D  My dad thought the same thing. That would be a trip if he did!
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

mason

Quote from: "karadan"Unfortunately i do not have any stories of being discriminated against because i live in England. I guess it is quite cozy over here in that respect.

Sorry.

I agree though I am challenged in discussions and sometimes these get a little heated, I've never been attacked or anything like that.

There is one thing my sons girlfriend, who is in a catholic secondary school, gets some abuse and discrimination as she is a goth and atheist. This abuse is still not physical just verbal disgust from the other kids as a result of her lack of belief

Atheist Mother

I haven't really had much discrimination.  I had one man come to my drivers window in a parking lot after seeing the Evolve fish on my back bumper and tell me that "truth always prevails".  Pretty silly.  But it doesn't seem like discrimination, I am still in the closet so to speak.  No one acquaintance wise knows I am atheist, only close friends, and they don't really care.  Reminds me of the 2004 elections, when I had Bush is a fascist and other loudmouthed liberal type stickers on my car (I bought a large book of stickers in San Fran) and I would get screamed at and flipped off.  Hahaha, funnily, I would have never flipped off a person with Bush is My Personal Saviour on their car, or Liberals Suck Eggs... but that just shows the mentality of ignorance (half the time I am SURE they had no idea what "fascist" means).  I would never even dream of walking up to a car with a Jesus Saved Me, or Body Piercing Saved Me (sooo stupid) and say, "truth always prevails" or "read the book instead of what you wish was in it" to some poor schumck.
“Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions”  - Jerry Falwell
“I want three words [on my tombstone]: 'Woman, Atheist, Anarchist'. That's me ”- Madalyn Murray O'Hair

Tanker

QuoteI can't thank you enough Salladin. I've got one more week until I get my driver's license and then I'm gone!... at least during the day... But seriously thank you. Sometimes I feel so alone in all this, it's really nice to have this kind of support.

HappySmiley by the most conservative estimates 8% of Americans are atheists. With a population of over 300 million that means there are over 24 million atheists around you. Stay strong we're out there and you have our support.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

susangail

Quote from: "Atheist Mother"I haven't really had much discrimination.  I had one man come to my drivers window in a parking lot after seeing the Evolve fish on my back bumper and tell me that "truth always prevails".  Pretty silly.  But it doesn't seem like discrimination, I am still in the closet so to speak.  No one acquaintance wise knows I am atheist, only close friends, and they don't really care.  Reminds me of the 2004 elections, when I had Bush is a fascist and other loudmouthed liberal type stickers on my car (I bought a large book of stickers in San Fran) and I would get screamed at and flipped off.  Hahaha, funnily, I would have never flipped off a person with Bush is My Personal Saviour on their car, or Liberals Suck Eggs... but that just shows the mentality of ignorance (half the time I am SURE they had no idea what "fascist" means).  I would never even dream of walking up to a car with a Jesus Saved Me, or Body Piercing Saved Me (sooo stupid) and say, "truth always prevails" or "read the book instead of what you wish was in it" to some poor schumck.
Ha wow. Reminds me of a couple years ago: me and my mom were driving somewhere and we saw this beat-up car with about a dozen or so bumper stickers. They were things like, "Bush fucked America" and stuff. It was funny though because my little town is the conservative bite of a relatively liberal state. (Me and my friends call it the desert of a giant oasis.) My mom's comment was, "They're brave to drive that car in this city." But yes, like you said there are TONS of conservative/religious car "decorations" here. ("Bush is My Personal Savior"...never seen that one...isn't that idolatry or something?) My favorite is the license plate frame that says: "I'm not religious, I just love Jesus." Goes right along with "It's not a religion, it's a relationship." I'm always sure to call it a religion when I talk about it  :)
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

susangail

Quote from: "Tanker"
QuoteI can't thank you enough Salladin. I've got one more week until I get my driver's license and then I'm gone!... at least during the day... But seriously thank you. Sometimes I feel so alone in all this, it's really nice to have this kind of support.

HappySmiley by the most conservative estimates 8% of Americans are atheists. With a population of over 300 million that means there are over 24 million atheists around you. Stay strong we're out there and you have our support.
It's funny, the more I "come out" to people, the more I see how many atheists there really are around me. Numbers are very encouraging, thank you.