News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

a couple quotes about atheism

Started by susangail, June 23, 2008, 12:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susangail

So, I'm a quote whore and I browse hundreds of them when I'm bored. Today I came across two about atheism that caught my eye:

"Maybe the atheist cannot find God for the same reason a thief cannot find a policeman."  ~Author Unknown

"By night, an atheist half believes in God."  ~Edward Young, Night Thoughts

I thought the first was kind of funny, but I don't get the second.... it's probably obvious but I have to ask, what does it mean?
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

crocofish

Quote from: "susangail""By night, an atheist half believes in God."  ~Edward Young, Night Thoughts
.... it's probably obvious but I have to ask, what does it mean?

I Googled around and found an explanation at positiveatheism.org
Quotein a colorful expression of one of the more popular slanders against atheists, portraying us as secretly believeing, "deep down inside," that the god-claim of the Christians is true, that their horrific ogre-god is really real (and really an ogre!), thus aggravating the stigma against us by portraying all atheists as essentially dishonest -- "deep down inside"

I think the same thing about a lot of religious people.  I think that there are many who fake a belief in God because of social pressures.  Going to church and all the social aspects are so integrated into many people's lives that I think they fear losing all the social benefits if they express disbelief.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

afreethinker30

I found a video on Youtube you might like.
[youtube:3r9mjvj1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3LHxNaAU-g[/youtube:3r9mjvj1]

susangail

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Smallville

Quote from: "susangail"So, I'm a quote whore and I browse hundreds of them when I'm bored. Today I came across two about atheism that caught my eye:

"Maybe the atheist cannot find God for the same reason a thief cannot find a policeman."  ~Author Unknown

"By night, an atheist half believes in God."  ~Edward Young, Night Thoughts

I thought the first was kind of funny, but I don't get the second.... it's probably obvious but I have to ask, what does it mean?

Darkness, the dark of night, has always held a fear for primitive man.

In the Darkness there was the unknown. What were the stars in the night? And what those flaming arrows that streak across the colorless sky? Why did the moon nightly change her glory? What, oh what, was Darkness itself?

Early Man knew of the sun; enjoyed its warming light and found comfort. Enjoyed and worshiped its first gods there.

But, in the cool night and colder Darkness, mystery lurked and legends arose. Each culture created ghosts and ghouls and all those many other things which go bump in the night.

The fear of the dark, and things in the dark (including that final darkness of death), help create all the myriad god(s), believed or half-believed by Man since he began to think about it.

This apologist's view of fear-induced faith is no different than those who wrongly proclaim there are "No atheists in foxholes".
Two wrongs don't make a right but three left turns will.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." â€" Nietzsche
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." - Clarence Darrow

Loffler

"Atheism means never getting to say I told you so."

susangail

Quote from: "Smallville"Darkness, the dark of night, has always held a fear for primitive man.

In the Darkness there was the unknown. What were the stars in the night? And what those flaming arrows that streak across the colorless sky? Why did the moon nightly change her glory? What, oh what, was Darkness itself?

Early Man knew of the sun; enjoyed its warming light and found comfort. Enjoyed and worshiped its first gods there.

But, in the cool night and colder Darkness, mystery lurked and legends arose. Each culture created ghosts and ghouls and all those many other things which go bump in the night.

The fear of the dark, and things in the dark (including that final darkness of death), help create all the myriad god(s), believed or half-believed by Man since he began to think about it.

This apologist's view of fear-induced faith is no different than those who wrongly proclaim there are "No atheists in foxholes".

I thought it was something along those lines but I wanted to make sure. Sayings like that are just assumptions, like all atheists fear the mysterious. Thanks for the explanation.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Loffler""Atheism means never getting to say I told you so."

Great quote.

Asmodean

Quote from: "afreethinker30"
Quote from: "Loffler""Atheism means never getting to say I told you so."

Great quote.

What are you talking about?! That quote, however true, is the only thing about atheism that sucks!  :rant:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

susangail

Quote from: "afreethinker30"I found a video on Youtube you might like.
[youtube:34a6vd4y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3LHxNaAU-g[/youtube:34a6vd4y]

I finally got around to viewing this and I must say it's a great compilation of really good quotes. Thank you! It makes me sad though, George Carlin passed away  :(  RIP.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "susangail"
Quote from: "afreethinker30"I found a video on Youtube you might like.
[youtube:2sxma4pi]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3LHxNaAU-g[/youtube:2sxma4pi]

I finally got around to viewing this and I must say it's a great compilation of really good quotes. Thank you! It makes me sad though,
George Carlin passed away  :(  RIP.

Not good first Bill Hicks now George.I'm not sure of Hicks religious or no religious beliefs but he was damn funny.And no one was off the radar when it came to him.

afreethinker30

“You believe the world's 12 thousand years old? "That's right." Okay I got one word to ask you, a one word question, ready? "Uh huh." Dinosaurs. You know the world's 12 thousand years old and dinosaurs existed, they existed in that time, you'd think it would have been mentioned in the f&^%ing Bible at some point. "And lo Jesus and the disciples walked to Nazareth. But the trail was blocked by a giant brontosaurus...with a splinter in his paw. And O the disciples did run a shriekin': 'What a big f*&^ing lizard, Lord!' But Jesus was unafraid and he took the splinter from the brontosaurus's paw and the big lizard became his friend.”  Bill Hicks

Not about Atheism but rather funny I think.

susangail

Quote from: "afreethinker30"“You believe the world's 12 thousand years old? "That's right." Okay I got one word to ask you, a one word question, ready? "Uh huh." Dinosaurs. You know the world's 12 thousand years old and dinosaurs existed, they existed in that time, you'd think it would have been mentioned in the f&^%ing Bible at some point. "And lo Jesus and the disciples walked to Nazareth. But the trail was blocked by a giant brontosaurus...with a splinter in his paw. And O the disciples did run a shriekin': 'What a big f*&^ing lizard, Lord!' But Jesus was unafraid and he took the splinter from the brontosaurus's paw and the big lizard became his friend.”  Bill Hicks

Ha ha sweet!

What's so sad is some Christians deny that dinosaurs ever existed (but an invisible deity, oh yeah!)

afreethinker30

Quote from: "susangail"
Quote from: "afreethinker30"“You believe the world's 12 thousand years old? "That's right." Okay I got one word to ask you, a one word question, ready? "Uh huh." Dinosaurs. You know the world's 12 thousand years old and dinosaurs existed, they existed in that time, you'd think it would have been mentioned in the f&^%ing Bible at some point. "And lo Jesus and the disciples walked to Nazareth. But the trail was blocked by a giant brontosaurus...with a splinter in his paw. And O the disciples did run a shriekin': 'What a big f*&^ing lizard, Lord!' But Jesus was unafraid and he took the splinter from the brontosaurus's paw and the big lizard became his friend.”  Bill Hicks

Ha ha sweet!

What's so sad is some Christians deny that dinosaurs ever existed (but an invisible deity, oh yeah!)

I know but the way I think about it,if those people weren't around then we wouldn't have hours of entertainment. :banna:

susangail

Quote from: "afreethinker30"I know but the way I think about it,if those people weren't around then we wouldn't have hours of entertainment. :pop: