News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Talk About Star Wars With All the Spoilers You Want

Started by Pasta Chick, December 19, 2015, 03:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

They've always had black people in the movies ever since James Earl Jones.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Apathy on December 10, 2016, 11:45:54 PM

Not really. Vader the character is inarguably portrayed as a white man. By David Prowse in the OT - Jones was hired because they didn't like Prowse's voice - and solidified in the prequels by casting Jake Lloyd and then Hayden Christiansen as young Anakin Skywalker.

The only notable Black character in the OT is Lando Calrissian, who is used as a pawn by the Empire.

There are more Black characters in the prequels but they are all "good guys".

Obviously there is Finn in Force Awakens but I wouldn't argue that the Empire particularly values Storm Troopers as anything but a necessary but disposable commodity.

So while they aren't blatantly White Supremacist they aren't exactly overflowing with diversity either.

Arturo

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 11, 2016, 12:26:32 AM
Quote from: Apathy on December 10, 2016, 11:45:54 PM

Not really. Vader the character is inarguably portrayed as a white man. By David Prowse in the OT - Jones was hired because they didn't like Prowse's voice - and solidified in the prequels by casting Jake Lloyd and then Hayden Christiansen as young Anakin Skywalker.

This is just two sides of the same coin. Darth Vader was physically a white guy underneath the armor, but you didn't know that until Return of the Jedi. You mostly knew him as James Earl Jones voice. And even the guy who wore the suit is not allowed at conventions I hear because of the fuss he gave for not being the voice of Vader. And further, even though it's always been somebody else wearing Vader's suit, the voice that we hear from it has always been that of James Earl Jones. It's all apart of the mystery of "Who is Darth Vader?"
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Pasta Chick

That assumes the audience knows who JEJ is - while voices can have patterns overall you can't actually sound your race. And flies in the face of the many, many studies we have that show an otherwise unspecified character will generally be assumed white.

joeactor

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 13, 2016, 07:13:44 PM
That assumes the audience knows who JEJ is - while voices can have patterns overall you can't actually sound your race. And flies in the face of the many, many studies we have that show an otherwise unspecified character will generally be assumed white.

It was pretty widely publicized at the time that JEJ was the voice.

I get requests all the time to sound like a particular race, region, accent or dialect. It's more about what people expect a particular race to sound like, rather than saying that everyone of that race sounds that way.

That being said, there's sure a lot of white folks in movies!

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Guardian85 on December 05, 2016, 10:31:59 PM
Ticket has been purchased and work schedule altered to facilitate the viewing of Rogue One on the 14th.

On the 14th?! Lucky you!  ;D

I'll only be able to watch it this weekend, or the next. :sad sigh:

Arturo

Quote from: joeactor on December 13, 2016, 09:20:21 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 13, 2016, 07:13:44 PM

It was pretty widely publicized at the time that JEJ was the voice.

I get requests all the time to sound like a particular race, region, accent or dialect. It's more about what people expect a particular race to sound like, rather than saying that everyone of that race sounds that way.

That being said, there's sure a lot of white folks in movies!

I agree. Like I said, it's just two sides of the same coin. While James Earl Jones is most famous for Vader, there are a lot of white people in movies.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Guardian85 on December 15, 2016, 12:02:15 AM
Seen it. Loved it!  8)

'nuff said.

*blink* *blink*

Anyone have an antidote for green skin? It's not like I'm turning into Yoda or anything, but it has gotten a distinctly envious hue just now...

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

Guardian85

And just because I'm such a total asshole I went and saw it again today!  :nanana:

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Pasta Chick

I saw it!

Aside from no Bothans, I only have one gripe.

And I'm sad because no Peter Cushing but there's not much that can be done about that.

xSilverPhinx