News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald

Started by Recusant, November 11, 2015, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on January 09, 2021, 02:10:36 AM
Such a Commander in Chief would have to pay any attention to the briefing in the first place. Soon-to-be-ex-president Trump was infamous for not reading briefing papers. If his name wasn't mentioned in the text he lost interest immediately. There are darkly humorous tales of the ways his staff would try to spoon-feed him the minimal, most essential issues that required his attention.

As for knowing about secret weapons systems, I think a determined president who was willing to ask the right questions and insist on answers could learn a fair amount, if not precise details.

Maybe his name was all he could read :snicker:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Quote from: Old Seer on January 08, 2021, 09:38:29 PM
I don't particularly care to comment here, but just for the record. In a few short months I predict you'll know what marxist fascism is all about.  ;)

:tellmemore: Your analysis of current events and social dynamics is on par with your analysis in other fields, dear Smurf.  :cracked:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Randy on January 09, 2021, 01:46:11 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 09, 2021, 01:29:20 AM
Quote from: Randy on January 09, 2021, 12:41:21 AM
Here's something that will make Trump wonder what to do with his tiny hands now.

Twitter bans President Trump permanently

He's had his fingers slapped in the past (twitter calling out that a twit (sic) was disputed), but twitter kind of catered to the allegedly "most powerful man in the free world". I'm reminded of when an FA-117 got shot down over Kosovo during Clinton's presidency. When Clinton asked why he'd never heard of that aircraft, he was told, "You had no 'need to know'". I worked in defense for over 32 years. Need to know is a big deal, and if the president doesn't need to know, he doesn't...know. I just can't imagine what those intelligence briefings were like.  :shrug:
That's fascinating to know. I would have expected the Commander In Chief to have his eyes on everything that goes on.

I'd personally like to think that however the information was gathered, the president would have a trusted, knowledgeable staff in place to brief him. For example, even though I knew about stress analysis and strength of materials, I still relied on the stress analyst when I did the electrical design of an antenna. I would never expect the chump  ::) to have any kind of understanding of electromagnetic propagation and scattering. He just needs to deal with the information said system would provide, and he didn't even do that.

Old Seer

Quote from: Icarus on January 08, 2021, 11:56:39 PM
Would that Old Seer explain sufficiently so that I could understand my forthcoming fascist influenced fate.
I may be wrong as Trump still has options at his disposal which he may not use. Be aware that I'm apolitical. As I've stated at a previous time, civilizations don't work.  From my studies I've found it's a continuous exercise in futility and an example of craziness, doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. I am simply aware of what is what. Seers are observers not advisors particularly. I care not to forward any other comments. 
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Old Seer on January 09, 2021, 02:57:32 AM
Quote from: Icarus on January 08, 2021, 11:56:39 PM
Would that Old Seer explain sufficiently so that I could understand my forthcoming fascist influenced fate.
I may be wrong as Trump still has options at his disposal which he may not use. Be aware that I'm apolitical. As I've stated at a previous time, civilizations don't work.  From my studies I've found it's a continuous exercise in futility and an example of craziness, doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. I am simply aware of what is what. Seers are observers not advisors particularly. I care not to forward any other comments.

OK

Recusant

:smokincowboy: Only he alone can fix it, don'cha know.   :eagletear:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Old Seer on January 08, 2021, 09:38:29 PM
I don't particularly care to comment here, but just for the record. In a few short months I predict you'll know what marxist fascism is all about.  ;)

That's manipulative fear-monger's speech. The kind right-wing conservatives like to feed the population so that they feel afraid and vote for psychopathic crap in order avert a Marxist regime. Look around and you'll see it happening in the US. You'll see it happening in other parts of the world. As if political reality is so black-and-white and Biden is a communist boogeyman who is going to start a Marxist revolution in the US. Come on. ::)

Also, isn't "marxist fascism" like, an oxymoron? 

xSilverPhinx

I don't mean to sidetrack the main topic of this thread, but I'd like to add a small observation on this whole anti-communist rhetoric that is so common in right-wing politics. It's stupid, but effective. On countless occasions I've seen less advantaged people talk about "the communist boogeymen" wanting to take away their measly savings, their beat-up old car or their tumbledown houses and give it to other disadvantaged people. They vote for candidates who are explicitly pro-big companies and against prosocial measures that would benefit the poor. How the hell does that happen?!

Once, while on a bus commute I overheard two young men talking about how the more prosocial Labour Party in here in Brazil made them sick. They were viscerally disgusted and talked on and on about how "all the communists must be put to death" and the far right crap politician Bolsonaro would be the one to do it. I was amazed. Here were two black young men defending an openly racist scum. Two poor young men who were defending a piece of crap who didn't give a damn about their demographic (the majority of Brazilians). Two ignorant young men who could greatly benefit from improved public education. And many other prosocial measures.

It doesn't make sense on a rational level.     

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 08, 2021, 08:28:35 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on January 08, 2021, 08:14:28 PM
Just a stupid question. Can Trump still launch nukes?

Pelosi was concerned about this very thing, and conferred with the Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He confirmed that they have safeguards in place to prevent this unless it is justified (such as if Russia launches them against us).

That's good to hear. I should think that Russia, China, Iran and North Korea are also relieved!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Here's something that will make Trump wonder what to do with his tiny hands now.

He's had his fingers slapped in the past (twitter calling out that a twit (sic) was disputed), but twitter kind of catered to the allegedly "most powerful man in the free world". I'm reminded of when an FA-117 got shot down over Kosovo during Clinton's presidency. When Clinton asked why he'd never heard of that aircraft, he was told, "You had no 'need to know'". I worked in defense for over 32 years. Need to know is a big deal, and if the president doesn't need to know, he doesn't...know. I just can't imagine what those intelligence briefings were like.  :shrug:

That particular story has got to be bullshit. The whole world found out about the F-117 in the first gulf war (1990) and the F-117 was shot down in 1999.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_F-117A_shootdown
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on January 09, 2021, 10:38:17 AM

That particular story has got to be bullshit. The whole world found out about the F-117 in the first gulf war (1990) and the F-117 was shot down in 1999.

Well, I'll be dogged! I fell for that story!  :-[

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 09, 2021, 04:38:15 PM
Quote from: Tank on January 09, 2021, 10:38:17 AM

Well, I'll be dogged! I fell for that story!  :-[

Well when Truman took over at the end of WWII they had to tell him about the atomic bomb. He didn't have a clue it existed!

EDIT: This is interesting as it explains how the F-117 was shot down

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: billy rubin on January 09, 2021, 05:22:04 PM
im ready for 2022 now.

Given our recent history, what makes you think it will be better?  But here's hoping.