News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Doesn't fit under any other thread image dump

Started by Tank, February 03, 2014, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 12, 2019, 05:09:05 AM
A colleague's wife once told me that when she was young she thought "fornicate" meant to tell lies. She said her priest was a bit surprised when she confessed to fornication when she was about nine years old.

:yes!:

Ahh yes.  I was madly in love with the girl next door when I was about fifteen years old.  Her father was a deacon in the nearby Baptist church.  I was almost obligated to go to church or Sunday school because of my infatuation....and hers.  I was a student of language and often wrote down words that I did not know.  The teacher at the Sunday school used the word; fornication.  Not on my list of recognized words. I wrote the word on my note pad and my girlfriend observed the notation.  At home I consulted the dictionary to find the meaning of the word. Oh shit, I think that I have stepped in it!  I was enormously embarrassed by that episode.  Baptists are big on the concept of prohibiting fornication or as the current vernacular describes it: fucking.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on June 13, 2019, 01:47:15 AM
A colleague's wife once told me that when she was young she thought "fornicate" meant to tell lies. She said her priest was a bit surprised when she confessed to fornication when she was about nine years old.

:yes!:

Ahh yes.  I was madly in love with the girl next door when I was about fifteen years old.  Her father was a deacon in the nearby Baptist church.  I was almost obligated to go to church or Sunday school because of my infatuation....and hers.  I was a student of language and often wrote down words that I did not know.  The teacher at the Sunday school used the word; fornication.  Not on my list of recognized words. I wrote the word on my note pad and my girlfriend observed the notation.  At home I consulted the dictionary to find the meaning of the word. Oh shit, I think that I have stepped in it!  I was enormously embarrassed by that episode.  Baptists are big on the concept of prohibiting fornication or as the current vernacular describes it: fucking.

Did you and the girl next door osculate?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Yes we did osculate but only when we were in a location that gave us some privacy.  The parents were hard shell Baptists and they would have messed their britches if they had known that their daughter dared explore her sexual identity.  Kissing by unmarried people was , for them, dangerously close to fornication.  Dancing was forbidden because, according to them: "Dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire".   

I had a convrsation with her at our 40th class reunion.  It pleased me to learn that she had married a Jewish man, had not only abandoned the Baptist faith, but practiced no religious observances at all. 

Icarus

joeactor

Quote from: Icarus on June 14, 2019, 12:25:37 AM
Alright already let us continue to have fun playing with words.  Check this one out.....https://getpocket.com/explore/item/38-wonderful-words-with-no-english-equivalent?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Those are great!

Most are too hard to pronounce, but I can definitely use "Tartle".

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on June 14, 2019, 12:25:37 AM
Alright already let us continue to have fun playing with words.  Check this one out.....https://getpocket.com/explore/item/38-wonderful-words-with-no-english-equivalent?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Thanks, Icarus, you're a real mensch. That link almost caused me to platz, but I don't want to come across as a meshuggeneh.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Essie Mae

As if there's not enough to worry about, us oldies could just be banished to the moon. It would solve the problem of just too many burdensome old-timers. I just hope no-one from the government was listening to Radio 4 this morning.  Someone called Oliver Morton has written a book called, The Moon:A History for the Future Apparently living on the moon is bad for the young and fit as the heart and muscles don't have to work as hard because of the relatively low gravity resulting in a weakening of the heart and muscles. For the old however, and those with weak or failing hearts, well the moon would be the ideal habitat as those poor old hearts wouldn't have to work as hard. They ought to reinstate the free TV licences for the over 75s because there's not a lot else to do up there I'd have thought.

Off at a tangent. It was also stated that power would come only from solar or nuclear but isn't there a load of helium 3 up there? I thought that was the panacea of all energy needs.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Essie Mae

That's odd. I have an aunt, a Londoner,  who also used it as a synonym for lying. I remember her being quite shocked and disbelieving when my father put her right.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Icarus

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

So this is where BPII and No-One got their material from!

Stolen :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

^ that dude has used a poorly chosen pick up line.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on July 23, 2019, 12:26:38 AM
^ that dude has used a poorly chosen pick up line.

Yeah but look at that awkwardly forced smile, he isn't even trying! :lol:

Bonus clip:

xSilverPhinx

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.