Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Doesn't fit under any other thread image dump

Started by Tank, February 03, 2014, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 01, 2019, 11:24:27 PM
It's Fox - what do you expect?
Yeah, I would like to send them a letter, but they only speak American.  :sad sigh:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Essie Mae

Larking around I called my daughter a twat (interchangeable with 'twit' I thought), and she said that means the 'c' word. Why didn't I know this?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

jumbojak

I think it depends on how you pronounce it. If there's a long 'a' then it's interchangeable with female reproductive slang.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Essie Mae

I pronounced it Twot to rhyme with cot. I've never heard the pronunciation twat to rhyme with wait. Too sheltered me.

jumbojak

One rhymes with cot, one rhymes with cat. Either way it's not a nice word.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Essie it is easy to make an unintended  gaffe.  Forgive yourself .

Years ago I had hired a rather sophisticated young woman to work in my sales department. She was an Australian who had been in the U.S. for only a year or two.  At some point I had observed a cute little puppy that one of my other employees had brought to work.   I said: "Awww..... that is a cute little bugger."  The proper young lady was taken aback and I had no idea why.  The word bugger in American slang is not a naughty word.  It only describes something that has approval or some such meaning.  It is not a pejorative or otherwise forbidden word......................But to the Aussie and also to the Brits , that word is not a nice one at all. 

Essie Mae

Don't worry Icarus and JJ, I'm not getting my knickers in a twist over it; it just will not be part of my vocabulary ever again.   As for bugger, although I presume people know what it means, it does seem to have become casually used here, but I don't use it because of its actual meaning.

hermes2015

A colleague's wife once told me that when she was young she thought "fornicate" meant to tell lies. She said her priest was a bit surprised when she confessed to fornication when she was about nine years old.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 12, 2019, 05:09:05 AM
A colleague's wife once told me that when she was young she thought "fornicate" meant to tell lies. She said her priest was a bit surprised when she confessed to fornication when she was about nine years old.

:rofl: She was lucky he wasn't a kiddy fiddler!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.