News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Pet Causes and Positive Interests

Started by LARA, February 20, 2008, 06:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARA

So what are your pet causes?  Just stuff your interested in, you don't have to actually have accomplished something in it but if you have, kudos.

mine would be:
Intelligent environmentalism, electric cars, renewable power, promoting science in America, human rights.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

SteveS

Mine is abolishing blue laws and remnants of blue laws.  I think its ridiculous that I can't buy a 12-pack of beer on Sunday before noon.  If that's the case, then why isn't it illegal to go to church on Saturday night?  :wink:  

I also think that lawyers should be able to talk about "jury nullification" in courtroom trials.

And, I have made woefully little progress in either of these causes.
(Yeah, just to clarify, "woefully little" should be read "none").

I do much better in "positive interests" than "pet causes".  I've got all sorts of positive interests, and these I actually pursue.  I'm not much of a "cause" type person I'm afraid.

BleedingOrchid

Donating to projects that help those with HIV/AIDS, Rape Incest Victims (RAINN), and animal charities.
Here we are
Upon your stage
The love we share
The dreams we'll save
They're bleeding the orchid...~Smashing Pumpkins

weirdframer

I'm very active with the red cross diaster action team. Working on the local level with floods, house fires, etc. And also on the national level on major diasters.
The trouble with born-again Christians is that they are an even bigger pain the second time around.”

SteveS

Cheers, weirdframer, I do have second hand knowledge of the Red Cross and they appear wonderful.  A relation of mine was in an area in Wisconsin that got hit by an F3 tornado --- the Red Cross was onsite very quickly with safe drinking water and food, and helped people put the damage back together.  They seem like a very honest and effective organization to me!

MommaSquid

For a couple of years, I volunteered with a local organization that counsels teens in crisis.  Most of the kids had drug and behavioral problems and some were already convicted offenders.  Lately I've just been sending them money when I can.

My late son's charity is the Humane Society, and my extended family makes donations in his name whenever possible.  I also have two rescued cats.

Kudos to everyone who is out there doing something for the good of others!  Great topic, LARA.

Will

My main pet cause is ending the GWOT, but I also champion a switch to a different healthcare system here in the US. What can I say? I'm an atheist with a savior complex!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

jrosebud

One of my pet causes is childhood literacy/education.  I help out at my kiddo's school whenever possible and we donate books frequently.  It's not much, but by doing a little bit (and encouraging my daughter in her love of reading), I'm making a positive dent in my little corner of the world.

Equal rights issues are also high on my list.
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

McQ

Pet causes:

Changing cancer from a terminal illness into a chronic disease, like diabetes, or eradicating it wherever possible.

Science literacy. Science education starting in grade school. Especially with girls, who still, unbelievably, are told to become nurses, or mommies, or just take care of men. Agh!

Animal rights. I'm no PETA member, but we need to treat all animals as if they have a right to live freely, because they do.

I hve more, but that'll do for now.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

AlainWinthrope

Mainly Animal Rights and veganism

Will

Quote from: "AlainWinthrope"Mainly Animal Rights and veganism
I stopped eating red meat.... I'm almost there!!!
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

susangail

Mine would be help and awareness of mental disorders. Many people don't realize that a mental disease can by just a bad if not worse than a physical one. I know from personal experience.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.