News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

I lost my friend Thursday...

Started by Maria_1, February 10, 2008, 07:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maria_1

I had to have my dog, Milo, put to sleep Thursday.  He had gotten very sick and I couldn't bear to watch him suffer anymore.  He was diagnosed with diabetes in July and I was having to give him insulin shots twice a day.  Last weekend, he got really sick; was vomiting and not eating.  He stayed at the vet's over the weekend and seemed to be better when I picked him up Monday.  Thursday morning, his right rear leg was not working and he was not able to walk.  His stomach was also severely bloated.  I pretty much knew it was time.  I took him to the vet and he seemed to think there was a blood clot in Milo's leg.  He said he could do x-rays and try to treat him, but I know even if he could be treated, his quality of life would never be normal.  He was in bad shape.  It was then that I made the most difficult decision I've ever had to make.  I had to let him go.  I said goodbye to my friend Thursday, February 7 at noon.  He was nine and I had had him since he was 12 weeks old.  I can't believe he's gone, but I still have my memories and pictures of him.

Milo - 12 weeks

July 2007 - just prior to diabetes diagnosis

catwixen

Aw..sad. I think you mentioned this at ATT when he was ill. So sorry you lost your friend. Hope you can feel comforted by knowing that you kept his suffering to a minimum. Our animals can be such good friends....it is the risk we take in loving them. Worth it IMO.
I'll bet he had a good life with you.  :wink:

tacoma_kyle

Sad...
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Whitney

I'm sorry and that's always a hard decision to make when you consider a pet as part of the family.  At least you can know that you did all you could to help him and keep him as comfortable as possible....pets in your house are probably treated better than some people treat their kids.  You are a very caring person.

Maria_1

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I'm sorry and that's always a hard decision to make when you consider a pet as part of the family.  At least you can know that you did all you could to help him and keep him as comfortable as possible....pets in your house are probably treated better than some people treat their kids.  You are a very caring person.
Thanks, Laet!  Yep, my dogs (and cat now) are like my kids.  Sometimes they're so much better than people.  They love you unconditionally and never complain.  I just hate that they can't live longer.

Ezequiel Medvietzky

I'm sorry for your loss, I'm sure nothing we can say will make you feel better but time is a hell of a drug.

MommaSquid

Maria_1, I am so sorry for your loss.  Poor baby.

Sophie

Maria_1, I am so sorry for your loss!!!  That was very compassionate of you to have him put to sleep and stop suffering.  I lost my dear dog in June of this past year.  :(  I got him from Animal Control (i.e. "the pound") after my first miscarriage because I needed to take care of something to get my mind off myself.  He was my baby, and I know you feel the same way about your dog.  I'm sure Milo had a very happy life with you.  *cyberhug to you*
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.  -- Robert A Heinlein, Job: A Comedy of Justice

McQ

Maria I'm sorry about your buddy, Milo. You made the toughest, but best decision though. I've had to do the same, and it is agonizing, I know. But you did the right thing.

Thank you for posting pictures of the little fella. What a cutie! You have nice memories of a good companion.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Chris Johnston

Maria,
It isn't fair how those who give such unconditional love live with us for such a short time. It's hard to give up a pet who has become such a part of the family. When our Luke (Pembroke Welsh Corgi) died 3 years ago I thought I'd never have another dog. Now we have a pair of Corgis who are the light of our lives. And nothing but trouble.

It doesn't change the way I miss Luke (still do!) but they are their own individuals and I wouldn't change a thing.

filip3rd

you will be united in heaven !!!
“Anarchism, really stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion; the liberation of the human body from the dominion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government.”

MommaSquid

^What?!   :bs:    :roll:

Moving on...

My friend had to put one of her dogs to sleep last week, and I cried when I found out my buddy Sliver was gone...and she wasn't even mine!  I am a sucker for a cute fuzzy face.

(Men, please don't post pictures of youself with a beard as this does not count.)

Maria_1

Quote from: "filip3rd"you will be united in heaven !!!
Yeah, I've already heard this more than once since he's been gone.  My mom says he's 'up there' with my grandmother.  And friends say I'll see him again.  I'm too upset and just don't have the heart to tell them I don't believe in that stuff.

Kona

It's always tough losing a 'non-human companion'.  My condolences on your loss.  I am very fortunate that my dog, Klondike (Husky), is immortalized in a photo-portrait.   Pleasant memories without all the shedding and poop-scooping!

I here that there are actually a few companies doing pet cloning (cats mostly) so perhaps in the near future 're-petting' may be a viable option for those interested in starting over again.
Fight Global Warming......Save a Pirate!

Msblue

I'm sorry for your loss :( Pets can be like family members, it's devastating.