News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Forum etiquette

Started by McQ, January 11, 2008, 05:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

I'd like to make a general request of members of the forum. Please remember a few things when posting, especially when engaging in one on one debate with others here.

First, I'll refer to rule number one of the forum rules. Respect. Please show it when dealing with others. Things like overused sarcasm, and ad hominem attacks don't go over well, add nothing to real debate, and serve only to demean others and reduce the user of these to little more than acting like a child. Also, unless you're a psychiatrist or licensed psychologist, please refrain from referring to others in terms such as paranoid or delusional. Stick to the argument at hand, and not what you consider the mental state of the other person.

There has been an increasing amount of this starting, and I'm asking if people can please rein it in. If you have a personal beef with someone, keep it personal and out of the public forum areas. PM the person, or just take the high road.

I'm not asking for people to censor themselves from stating their opinions or beliefs, just to act with some degree of decorum that befits adult conversation and debate.

Second: Please use the "quote" feature if you are referring to another poster's comments. It helps others follow the threads better. If you don't want to use the quote feature, then please try to remember to put the person's name in your post, so we know who you're talking to. I generally put all names in any posts I make in bold type, so that those people are alerted that I'm referring to them.
Not something you have to do, but it's cool seeing your name in bold type.  :D

Last, please just remember that this entire forum can be viewed by anyone who stumbles across it, and I think we would all like to help reduce the perception of atheists and agnostics as evil, miserable bastards. If the first look someone gets of this forum is of people bickering and saying, "F*** You!" to one another, I think we've defeated that purpose.

Again, just a request for adults to act like adults. The kids can do whatever the hell they want.  :wink:

Thanks!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

tacoma_kyle

Ok so no more threads titled 'damn fucking gum' lol. Sorry about that.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Big Mac

So I can't have homophobic rants about minorities and women? You're no fun! :P
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

SteveS

Quote from: "McQ"I generally put all names in any posts I make in bold type, so that those people are alerted that I'm referring to them.
Not something you have to do, but it's cool seeing your name in bold type.
I always thought that was a good idea in your posts - I didn't follow suit because I didn't want to nick your style.  But, since your endorsing it, I will happily adopt the technique!

McQ

Quote from: "Big Mac"So I can't have homophobic rants about minorities and women? You're no fun! :P

Oh, hell yes! Minorities and women are so totally fair game. Go for it!

Throw in the Irish too!
--Penn Jillette

McQ

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"Ok so no more threads titled 'damn fucking gum' lol. Sorry about that.

If only it had been titled, "Damn fucking Algonquins" or something....
--Penn Jillette

Big Mac

Quote from: "McQ"
Quote from: "Big Mac"So I can't have homophobic rants about minorities and women? You're no fun! :P

Oh, hell yes! Minorities and women are so totally fair game. Go for it!

Throw in the Irish too!

Damn Irish, all they do is drink and make shitty bands like U2. Being part Irish myself...I'm self-loathing!

And don't get me started on Norwegians!
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?