News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Batman US cinema shooting: 12 dead in Colorado

Started by Tank, July 20, 2012, 02:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 20, 2012, 05:21:59 PM
Quote from: Ali on July 20, 2012, 05:09:57 PM
This makes me so angry I am seriously a little shaky.

QuoteWASHINGTON -- Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said Friday that the shootings that took place in an Aurora, Colo. movie theater hours earlier were a result of "ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs" and questioned why nobody else in the theater had a gun to take down the shooter.

You can read the rest of the story at the link.

Yes, let's please make a tragedy where 12 innocent people lost their lives all about you and your stupid fucking religion and your fucking persecution fantasies even though like 80% of the people in the US identify as Christian but somehow somehow you are being persecuted by some ultra-powerful-ultra-secret minority even though an open atheist couldn't even be elected to public office, but yes, somehow you are being persecuted and SOMEFUCKINGHOW these people dying ties into that.

Also, yes, brilliant.  What would have made this situation better is to have a panicky amateur firing into a darkened smoky theater while running people dodge in and out of his line of fire.  FUCKING BRILLIANT.

What an ass.
He's a Texas Republican.  The fact that he's an ass is implied.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Ali

Holy crap.  Just found out that my ex boyfriend (the guy I dated right before Husband) was in the theater with his sister and her boyfriend.  My ex wasn't hurt, but his sister was shot in the leg, and her boyfriend is missing.  :-[

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ali on July 21, 2012, 02:06:24 AM
Holy crap.  Just found out that my ex boyfriend (the guy I dated right before Husband) was in the theater with his sister and her boyfriend.  My ex wasn't hurt, but his sister was shot in the leg, and her boyfriend is missing.  :-[

oh my gods-- really?
i'm super sorry to hear that...

Is the sister going to recover physically?? ;__;
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

markmcdaniel

The world is a small place. My condolences and hopes for the best are with you.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Ali

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 21, 2012, 02:11:30 AM

oh my gods-- really?

Yes, the paper said that she was going to have surgery on her leg today, but that she was in stable condition.  Holy crap.  I remember going to her 6th grade graduation.  I've known her brother since we were in high school in Ohio.  We don't keep in touch any more (acrimonious break up...) but I hate hearing that this happened to them.   :'(

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ali on July 21, 2012, 02:15:05 AM

oh my gods-- really?

Yes, the paper said that she was going to have surgery on her leg today, but that she was in stable condition.  Holy crap.  I remember going to her 6th grade graduation.  I've known her brother since we were in high school in Ohio.  We don't keep in touch any more (acrimonious break up...) but I hate hearing that this happened to them.   :'(

Yeah, of course. ex or not, unless you're a sadistic person, no one wishes such a terrible thing. I'm glad she will recover. Hopefully they will both recover mentally from such an incident...
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Just sent him a FB message to say how sorry I was to hear that they went through that and that I hope his sister has a speedy recovery.  I still can't believe it. 

Firebird

Quote from: Ali on July 21, 2012, 02:15:05 AM

oh my gods-- really?

Good to hear about his sister...hope her boyfriend is ok. How horrible.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ecurb Noselrub

Ali

Her boyfriend died.   The paper said that he was killed laying on top of her to protect her.  I just can't even imagine.  :'(

Tank

Quote from: Ali on July 21, 2012, 03:50:39 PM
Her boyfriend died.   The paper said that he was killed laying on top of her to protect her.  I just can't even imagine.  :'(
Did you know the boyfriend?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

No.  I guess he came from the same town in OH that we're from, but he and the sister are 6 years younger, so I didn't know him when I lived there.

The Black Jester

Holy crap.  Just found out that my ex boyfriend (the guy I dated right before Husband) was in the theater with his sister and her boyfriend.  My ex wasn't hurt, but his sister was shot in the leg, and her boyfriend is missing.  :-[

Oh no!!! How awful!!!!  I'm so sorry to hear that, Ali!  There's no word on the missing boyfriend?

Edit:  I just read the rest of the thread...sorry for the premature post.

That's just terrible.  No words can express it.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Tank

Isn't it strange how the Internet has turned the whole world into a village. What was for me a sigh of relief has turned out to be a tragedy for others so close to home even though you are thousands of miles away.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

Yes, the world has definitely gotten smaller.  That's probably the best thing the internet has done for us.  I feel lucky to live in a time when I can be friends with people all over the world.   :)