News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

A Rat in the Woodpile....

Started by Happy_Is_Good, June 29, 2012, 10:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy_Is_Good

A little girl (7 years old) was gunned-down in Chicago as she was selling lemonade.  

Gawd...what a story!

It seems, it "just happened" because no reason is given - or even expected.

All we are told is Gang - Little Girl - Death - No Reason.

Seriously, does anyone believe this?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/29/ministers-urge-people-to-turn-in-gunman-who-killed-girl-7/

I smell a rat in the woodpile: there is something more to this that people are talking about.

Recusant

One thug shot at another, and managed to kill an innocent bystander. I don't see any mystery here. Personally, I don't think having your 7 year old daughter out operating a lemonade stand at 10:40 PM is a great choice, but that doesn't excuse the person who killed her.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Happy_Is_Good

Quote from: Recusant on June 29, 2012, 10:59:35 PM
One thug shot at another, and managed to kill an innocent bystander. I don't see any mystery here. Personally, I don't think having your 7 year old daughter out operating a lemonade stand at 10:40 PM is a great choice, but that doesn't excuse the person who killed her.

I don't know where you got that info - it may be true...I just don't know.

Here's some more info, and it seems like another guy was hit in the ankle. and it seems like the shooting happened very late at night.

Hmmmm...makes me wonder.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/28/girl-7-shot-dead-on-west-side/

Recusant

From the story linked in the OP:

Quote[The little girl, Heaven] was outside with her mother as they sold lemonade, candy and snacks under a canopy set up in front of their home. Two men opened fire around 10:40 p.m. Wednesday, and Heaven was struck in the chest.

. . .

The fatal gunshot was fired by a gangbanger who was aiming at a rival who apparently had stopped to buy lemonade.

Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said detectives know which gangs were involved in the shooting, and said he expects them to wrap up the investigation quickly.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Happy_Is_Good

Quote from: Recusant on June 29, 2012, 11:11:57 PM
From the story linked in the OP:

Quote[The little girl, Heaven] was outside with her mother as they sold lemonade, candy and snacks under a canopy set up in front of their home. Two men opened fire around 10:40 p.m. Wednesday, and Heaven was struck in the chest.

. . .

The fatal gunshot was fired by a gangbanger who was aiming at a rival who apparently had stopped to buy lemonade.

Police Supt. Garry McCarthy said detectives know which gangs were involved in the shooting, and said he expects them to wrap up the investigation quickly.

Yes...I think you got it.

Nevertheless, I would be damned if I let my child sell lemonade to Recharging "Gang Bangers": don't you see how insane this is?  Why should I want to fuel the means of my destruction?

Recusant

I was understating for ironic effect when I described it as not a great choice, especially considering the mother knew it was a violent neighborhood.
— H. L. Mencken

Happy_Is_Good

Quote from: Recusant on June 29, 2012, 11:20:39 PM
I was understating for ironic effect when I described it as not a great choice, especially considering the mother knew it was a violent neighborhood.

I agree.  You are right.

OldGit

These things happen:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9167701/Three-guilty-of-Stockwell-shooting-which-left-five-year-old-girl-paralysed.html

Our major cities also have gangs of half-crazed juvenile criminals indiscriminately firing their handguns.

fester30

Chicago has seen a huge increase in the number of murders and shootings recently.  Chicago used to have one specific part of town that had housing projects for poor people, on the south side of the city.  Most of the worst crime (drugs, shootings, gangs, etc.) were concentrated in that area.  The city tried to clean it up by getting rid of the projects, and replacing them with better housing.   That sent many of the poor people (and gangs) to scatter into other areas of town.  It worked for a little while, but crime has found its way back.  Now, the shootings are scattered over a wider area and gain more attention.  People notice more than they did when the shootings were a problem down at the projects.

EDIT:  doesn't seem like I have a point lol.  I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think that a 7 year old girl killed in Chicago by stray gunfire smells of conspiracy.  Sounds like she got hit by one of the many bullets flying around the city at any given point in time.  Chicago is an example of how extreme gun laws don't stop crime.  Gun control laws can help in the fight against crime, but they don't do any good without enforcement.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: fester30 on June 30, 2012, 12:53:05 PM

EDIT:  doesn't seem like I have a point lol.  I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think that a 7 year old girl killed in Chicago by stray gunfire smells of conspiracy.  Sounds like she got hit by one of the many bullets flying around the city at any given point in time. 

And it's sad that you'd be able to say that, isn't it?  I know my first reaction, living all my life in LA county, was "well, that's just more of the same".
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sweetdeath

Gang related violence is terrible. Just another reason i am working hard to move out the country and live in a safer place. I really do want to grow old with my girlfriend, and not worry about these terrible things.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Buddy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 07, 2012, 07:52:57 PM
Gang related violence is terrible. Just another reason i am working hard to move out the country and live in a safer place. I really do want to grow old with my girlfriend, and not worry about these terrible things.

I think every country has some degree of violence. It just depends on the area.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 07, 2012, 08:25:49 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 07, 2012, 07:52:57 PM

I think every country has some degree of violence. It just depends on the area.

Yes, i'm sure they do. Which is why i never want to live in a part of that area of any country.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

OldGit

Come and live near us.  It's pretty quiet here in the Herefordshire countryside.  We did have an invasion by the Welsh, who burned Hereford cathedral, but that was a while ago now.  1055, in fact.  We've not had a lot of trouble since.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: OldGit on July 07, 2012, 08:37:00 PM
Come and live near us.  It's pretty quiet here in the Herefordshire countryside.  We did have an invasion by the Welsh, who burned Hereford cathedral, but that was a while ago now.  1055, in fact.  We've not had a lot of trouble since.

Oooh~
Where are you again , OldGit?