News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

A Rat in the Woodpile....

Started by Happy_Is_Good, June 29, 2012, 10:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGit

In a little village not far from Hereford, England.  That's close to the Welsh border.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: OldGit on July 07, 2012, 08:56:36 PM
In a little village not far from Hereford, England.  That's close to the Welsh border.

*_* oh~
I'm sure i'd love to live near you/in your area!
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on July 07, 2012, 08:37:00 PM
Come and live near us.  It's pretty quiet here in the Herefordshire countryside.  We did have an invasion by the Welsh, who burned Hereford cathedral, but that was a while ago now.  1055, in fact.  We've not had a lot of trouble since.

LOL

:P

Before you said the date I was actually wondering if I had heard about something like that happening in the news. A bit too far back, I'm afraid.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 09, 2012, 01:41:44 AM
Quote from: OldGit on July 07, 2012, 08:37:00 PM
Come and live near us.  It's pretty quiet here in the Herefordshire countryside.  We did have an invasion by the Welsh, who burned Hereford cathedral, but that was a while ago now.  1055, in fact.  We've not had a lot of trouble since.

LOL

:P

Before you said the date I was actually wondering if I had heard about something like that happening in the news. A bit too far back, I'm afraid.

I would have been amazed and a bit concerned if you had heard that in the news.  :D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

OldGit

It's still news!

QuoteBy 1012, Bishop Athelstan (vir magnae sanctitatis, according to Florence of Worcester) found the church in a great state of decay and practically rebuilt it. The Bishop, although blind for thirteen years before his death in 1056, directed the affairs of his See with great fervour and it must have been a heavy blow to him when his Cathedral was burned down in 1055 by a Welsh horde who overran the city. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle says, "They burned the town and the great mynstre, which the venerable Bishop Athelstan had before caused to be built, that they plundered and bereaved of relics and of vestments and of all things and slew the folk and led some away."

But it probably won't happen again - not this week, anyway - so we're a lovely part of the world to come and live.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 09, 2012, 02:01:20 AM
I would have been amazed and a bit concerned if you had heard that in the news.  :D

I guess so. ???

Quote from: OldGit on July 09, 2012, 09:28:25 AM
It's still news!

QuoteBy 1012, Bishop Athelstan (vir magnae sanctitatis, according to Florence of Worcester) found the church in a great state of decay and practically rebuilt it. The Bishop, although blind for thirteen years before his death in 1056, directed the affairs of his See with great fervour and it must have been a heavy blow to him when his Cathedral was burned down in 1055 by a Welsh horde who overran the city. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle says, "They burned the town and the great mynstre, which the venerable Bishop Athelstan had before caused to be built, that they plundered and bereaved of relics and of vestments and of all things and slew the folk and led some away."

But it probably won't happen again - not this week, anyway - so we're a lovely part of the world to come and live.

So it is! :D But then again a bit outdated it seems. When does news become history?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 10, 2012, 02:27:08 AM
So it is! :D But then again a bit outdated it seems. When does news become history?

My policy is when you can tell a joke about said event without getting the stink eye, it counts as history.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

OldGit

QuoteWhen does news become history?

Depends on where you live. Out here, 500 years isn't all that long - at least to a medieval historian and architecture buff like me.

QuoteIn America, 100 years is a long time; in England, 100 miles is a long way.

I'm not sure who originally said that, but there's a lot of truth in it.

Crow

Quote from: OldGit on July 10, 2012, 08:49:32 AM

QuoteIn America, 100 years is a long time; in England, 100 miles is a long way.

I'm not sure who originally said that, but there's a lot of truth in it.

Nah we got trains that run regularly I can be at the other end of the country in 2 hours, 4 at the most if I am going end to end. If its by plane I can be in Spain in the same amount of time it takes me to get to London by train and for about the same price.
Retired member.