News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Using the cane toad's poison against itself

Started by Tank, June 17, 2012, 05:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Using the cane toad's poison against itself

Quote(Phys.org) -- An effective new weapon in the fight against the spread of cane toads has been developed by the University of Sydney, in collaboration with the University of Queensland.

"This is the first powerful tool we have created to control cane toads," said Professor Rick Shine, from the University's School of Biological Sciences and the lead author of the study which is published in the Proceedings of Royal Society B on Wednesday 13 June.

The new research shows that the same powerful poisons cane toads use to devastate native species can be used as a weapon against the toads themselves - by using the poison as 'bait' in traps set in waterbodies to catch toad tadpoles.

"A chemical 'bait' created from the toads' poison is a real magnet for toad tadpoles," Professor Shine said.

The biggest obstacle to getting rid of cane toads is that a single clutch (the amount of eggs laid at a time by one female) can contain more than 30,000 eggs.

"This means that even if you catch and kill 99 percent of the adult toads in an area, the few that are left can produce so many offspring that before you know it you are back to where you started - just as many cane toads as ever," Professor Shine said.

The only way around the problem is to stop the toads from reproducing, Professor Shine explains...

One for The Magic Pudding.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Ye I heard that, not a total solution but hopefully better than an eight iron.

Buddy

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 18, 2012, 02:55:49 AM

Though not as fun as an eight iron, right?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Budhorse4 on June 18, 2012, 04:25:08 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on June 18, 2012, 02:55:49 AM

Though not as fun as an eight iron, right?

They are a bit large to enjoy killing.
Mosquitoes are OK, squashing them is satisfying. 

DeterminedJuliet

They obviously just need to release some toad eating snakes - and then when they get out of hand, they need to release some snake eating mongooses (mongeese?), and when the mongeese get out of hand, release some mongeese eating wolves, then bears.

Um.. I'm not sure what comes after bears.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

OldGit

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 18, 2012, 03:00:51 PM
They obviously just need to release some toad eating snakes - and then when they get out of hand, they need to release some snake eating mongooses (mongeese?), and when the mongeese get out of hand, release some mongeese eating wolves, then bears.

The toads kill the toad eating snakes, lizards and marsupials.

philosoraptor

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 18, 2012, 03:00:51 PM

I'm surprised no one has yet thought to bring in the Hypno Toads to work some reverse psychology on them, myself.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse