Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Why Are There Gay Men?

Started by AnimatedDirt, June 12, 2012, 09:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on July 09, 2012, 03:31:42 AM
Quote from: Stevil on July 09, 2012, 03:10:37 AM
You do have an image though, I've seen your Emo photo.
I'm just wearing eyeliner and a Korn hoodie in it. Why..? Because I really like what I see in the mirror when I go for that look. There is no image attached to it from my side. How others see it is, frankly, their business. I'm too icy and emotionless for any kind of emo-label in my own opinion.
I dislike labels as well.
And people tend to love to group certain people together, then the stereotypes come.. It's so irritating.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Crow

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 09, 2012, 03:56:08 AM
I dislike labels as well.
And people tend to love to group certain people together, then the stereotypes come.. It's so irritating.

It's the whole tribal nature of human society. People usually tend to want to be around people that are like minded and be associated as one, it doesn't always have to be about the way they dress but that is the most obvious case, people in groups are usually influence each by each other so its not surprising that they all start to conform to a group look, the thing is everyone can be placed in a group (usually more than one) whether they like it or not and probably can be stereotyped. You can fight it and pretend your the true individual or you can accept there are other people that are similar to yourself and that you are happy to be associated with them. If you accept that you might hit a few of the cliches but "cool that's just me" then it stops being annoying and also other groups of people being annoying.

I live in a city where close-minded culture is the masses by far which tends to also apply to the counter cultures, I don't necessarily mean people are unintelligent but people want you too conform, this use to irk the fuck out of me and was why I preferred cities like London and Liverpool where the Bohemia cultures . Now it doesn't bother me in the slightest, as I know I conform to a little tribe and choose to live in the area where it is prominently full of similar people and commerce that is geared towards people like myself and that there are lots of different variations that people want to be associated with, each to their own and all that.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Quote from: Crow on July 09, 2012, 12:45:22 PM
People usually tend to want to be around people that are like minded and be associated as one
Yes, I think that line explains it in my case. I have not found too many people who I consider like-minded in all the important things, and those who are do not fit a single label... Well, Asmoist, perhaps, but that is not too widespread.  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on July 09, 2012, 05:24:04 PM
Quote from: Crow on July 09, 2012, 12:45:22 PM
People usually tend to want to be around people that are like minded and be associated as one
Yes, I think that line explains it in my case. I have not found too many people who I consider like-minded in all the important things, and those who are do not fit a single label... Well, Asmoist, perhaps, but that is not too widespread.  :D

You can conform them, Asmo. Or let us minions do it for you.  ;)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

cncracer

Quote from: En_Route on June 27, 2012, 12:08:20 AM
Quote from: cncracer on June 26, 2012, 08:26:57 PM
I think it is genetic, and nature may be trying to correct the over population of humans by shifting a few genes around. Wish she had shifted a few genes in the religious rights brains before she shifted the sex genes. It would have made it a lot easier to live with them on the same planet. 

There is no purpose or end- game underpinning the laws of nature.

Nonsense, nature is always adjusting and making directional changes. It is called Evolution.

En_Route

Quote from: cncracer on July 15, 2012, 12:44:50 PM
I think it is genetic, and nature may be trying to correct the over population of humans by shifting a few genes around. Wish she had shifted a few genes in the religious rights brains before she shifted the sex genes. It would have made it a lot easier to live with them on the same planet.  

Nonsense, nature is always adjusting and making directional changes. It is called Evolution.

There is so such entity as Nature. It is a metaphor. Evolution is a process; it is not directed towards achieving any ultimate objective. The blind watchmaker did not set out to make a watch.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Asmodean

Quote from: En_Route on July 15, 2012, 01:48:14 PM
There is so such entity as Nature. It is a metaphor. Evolution is a process; it is not directed towards achieving any ultimate objective. The blind watchmaker did not set out to make a watch.
...And he wasn't even a watchmaker... Or a he... Or blind in any sort of conventional sense, really.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

I don't agree, natural selection has no purpose it is a mindless natural process in a sense like gravity which cares not what it draws together.  There is no grand purpose in results of evolution any more than there is design in any creature.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

En_Route

I often find incidentally than when people preface their remarks with  the exclamation "nonsense" , it turns out to be a declaration of intent.

Tank

I'm not sure calling somebodies comment 'nonsense' adds to the value of the discussion. Maybe a more focused and objective response would illicit a response in kind. 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

I think believing that evolution has "intent" is a trick of hindsight. Looking back, we can see that "A" evolved into "B" then "C". So we think "A" evolved into "B" TO evolve into "C". Evolution is "directional" in that it's a process that happens over time, but I don't think it's "directed" with regards to intent, purpose, or anything like that.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

En_Route

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 15, 2012, 05:56:50 PM
I think believing that evolution has "intent" is a trick of hindsight. Looking back, we can see that "A" evolved into "B" then "C". So we think "A" evolved into "B" TO evolve into "C". Evolution is "directional" in that it's a process that happens over time, but I don't think it's "directed" with regards to intent, purpose, or anything like that.

In fact, believing there is any intentionality underlying the process of evolution not only demonstrates a fundamental  and misunderstanding of how it works but also begs the obvious question- whose intention?

Stevil

Quote from: Tank on July 15, 2012, 04:55:21 PM

I don't agree, natural selection has no purpose it is a mindless natural process in a sense like gravity which cares not what it draws together.
The purpose of natural selection is to maximise sexual gratification. Having sex with beautiful is apparently more satisfying than having sex with ugly.

En_Route

Quote from: Stevil on July 15, 2012, 08:15:55 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 15, 2012, 04:55:21 PM

I don't agree, natural selection has no purpose it is a mindless natural process in a sense like gravity which cares not what it draws together.
The purpose of natural selection is to maximise sexual gratification. Having sex with beautiful is apparently more satisfying than having sex with ugly.

So who or what set up natural selection to achieve this  hitherto unsuspected purpose?

Stevil

Quote from: En_Route on July 15, 2012, 08:23:53 PM
So who or what set up natural selection to achieve this  hitherto unsuspected purpose?
Each and every participant, it's a personal choice.