News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

A friend of mine vs his parents.

Started by Infraclear, May 18, 2012, 03:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infraclear

This year and last, a friend of mine has decided that he doesn't believe in god. Kudos to him and from this point on, I'll give him the fake name "Gabe". Gabe's parents are his big obstacle here though. They go to church three to four times a week, and really pressure the poor guy into getting baptized, but he's just not interested, and can't tell them for fear of punishment or having to go to church even more.

I wonder though, if he doesn't believe because of himself and his ideals, or because he's just sick of going to church. Should I encourage him to tell them, or for him to ride it out until he moves out? Should I address my concern about the reason for his shift in ideology? Any good stories similar to this one?

Velma

In most situations like this, it's better for the child just to ride it out.  Sadly dogma can trump parental responsibility for some people and they could use this as an excuse to 'lock-down' his life. 
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on May 18, 2012, 04:00:06 AM
In most situations like this, it's better for the child just to ride it out.  Sadly dogma can trump parental responsibility for some people and they could use this as an excuse to 'lock-down' his life. 
Velma gives good advise.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

DeterminedJuliet

Yeah, I kind of agree with everyone else. How old is your friend?
I remember reading a letter that someone wrote in to Dan Savage - it was a gay teen with really bigoted/religious parents. His advice was really similar, when you're a minor, there's a legal power dynamic that you really can't fight (yet). 
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Asmodean

I agree, assuming your friend is a kid or is otherwise not ready to stand alone if he has to.

If he can stand alone, however, my advise is to take the chance and confront them now rather than wait until later.

EDIT: Another assumption is that the theatre of this particular problem is the US. We are pretty much back at advise two if in the civilised world  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

I would say wait it out. As long as you are under 18 your parents are in control for the most part. 
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

ThinkAnarchy

I have to agree with everyone else. If your friend is still too young to provide for himself, it's best to just keep it to himself until he is able to move out.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Ali

I would like to hear more about the situation before I make a final weigh in.  The reason for this is, in general I agree with the concensus that riding it out is probably the best course if your friend is not yet of age, but with the caveat that I think that some situations are so toxic as to potentially be damaging (the example I was thinking of was a gay teen hearing 3-4x a week from his parents and peers that homosexuals are "sinners" et cetera.)  If I had to go to church 3x a week, it would be an annoyance, but no more than that because I am too old and cynical to be vulnerable to the mumbo jumbo.  This may not be the case for your friend, depending on the situation and his temperment, and if it is damaging, I would advise that he tell someone.  Tell his parents, tell his guidance councelor, et cetera, before those messages get too deeply internalized.

As for confronting his friend about "why" he has embraced atheism....meh....honestly.  If he's the age I'm picturing (high school) then trying on different hats and identities, including a bit of rebellion, is an entirely appropriate developmental task.  Leave him to it.  If he's older, one hopes that he is no longer so under the thumb of his parents that he feels a need to rebel for rebellion's sake.  If he does, that's all the more reason for him to try to find a way to move out.

Sweetdeath

Well, even if he isn't 18, they cant force him to go to church; only school.

Hopefully he is old enough. For now, all you can do is talk to him via txt or email.  Give him your opinions, but try not to pressure him yourself, or you'd  be as  bad as his parents.

Good luck with everything.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Crow

They should do whatever feels right to them. Sometimes taking the path of least resistance is the easiest option even if it goes against your/their ideology, with some people its best to let them think they are in control. After all a baptism is only a bit of nonsense and water.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Well, personally, I'd nearly go to war over baptism. But then, even as a 15-16 year old, I was able to live with quite a bit of scorched earth.

It comes down to the personalities of those involved, this particular friend's priorities and what happenes in the worst and the best case.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

kitty

as someone in her thirties and still afraid of telling her parents (lol i know!), i would just try to be there for him whenever he needs you as a friend. i wouldn't try to push him into telling them if he's not ready, as everyone else has said. his time will come. i do hope that all their nonsense doesnt get too inbedded in him before then.
all the best x
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

Asmodean

Quote from: kitty on May 19, 2012, 10:37:32 AM
as someone in her thirties and still afraid of telling her parents (lol i know!)

Why? Are you trying to protect them, yourself or both? Or are you just afraid of a good confrontation?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

Quote from: AsmoIt comes down to the personalities of those involved, this particular friend's priorities and what happenes in the worst and the best case.

Exactly.  And ...

Quote from: TolkienAdvice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill.