News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

The Mac thread

Started by ThinkAnarchy, April 05, 2012, 03:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThinkAnarchy

I'm curious how many here use Macs over Windows or Linux.

I personally hate microsoft with a passion. I bought a 360 and it red ringed within 2 years and scratched my favorite games beyond playability. I used to have Windows OS and had to keep reformatting to get rid of spyware and viruses. Anytime I logged onto the internet, my fast computer (for the time) would become sluggish due to the shitty operating system. Typically when I did reinstall the drivers, I would be missing a whole bunch of needed files and have to find them online.

With that said, if their are any other Mac users here, what software do you recommend.

Me personally:

Little Snitch - Particularly useful if you DL pirated software.

VLC- Plays nearly every video format

Pixalmator - A good cheap alternative to PhotoShop (About 39.99)

DesktopMonitor- Great for monitoring the heat level of your machine, free and used Ram, etc.

That is all I can think of now, but I'm curious if there are other Mac lovers on this forum.

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Asmodean

I have a Mac, but don't really like it nor use it. Mirosoft provides me with a better platform for my use and the drawbacks depend on the user, really.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Asmodean on April 05, 2012, 05:10:15 AM
I have a Mac, but don't really like it nor use it. Mirosoft provides me with a better platform for my use and the drawbacks depend on the user, really.

Really? I love my Mac. Microsoft required to much effort to keep it running smoothly.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Asmodean

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 05, 2012, 05:48:24 AM
Really? I love my Mac. Microsoft required to much effort to keep it running smoothly.
Well, all this beat-up old laptop has ever asked for was electricity.  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Mac user here. I don't really use any special software other than the standard Word, Photoshop and Safari.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

DeterminedJuliet

I was hoping that this was going to be about Mac and Cheese :(
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 05, 2012, 02:09:57 PM
I was hoping that this was going to be about Mac and Cheese :(

LOL  I was hoping it was going to be about Mac from Always Sunny in Philadelphia.  (Love that show!)

Siz

A mac in the UK is mainly used to cover your [ahem] modesty before exposing yourself temporarliy in public.

:D

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 05, 2012, 02:50:31 PM
A mac in the UK is mainly used to cover your [ahem] modesty before exposing yourself temporarliy in public.

Whaaaaaa?  Is it, like, some kind of loin cloth?

Siz

Quote from: Ali on April 05, 2012, 02:52:47 PM

Whaaaaaa?  Is it, like, some kind of loin cloth?

Err, nope...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Buddy

*snicker* I can't see the pictures due to the school blocking them, so I'm imagining a naked man with a Mac laptop covering his nether regions.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Siz

DeterminedJuliet

Huh. Learn something new every day.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 05, 2012, 05:48:24 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on April 05, 2012, 05:10:15 AM

I used to be a PC guy back about 5 years ago.  Much like the OP, I kept running into problems and having to purchase better and upgraded spyware/virus check programs.  Lost two HD's in under 6 months.  Went through 3 desktop PC's in as many years...just a multitude of issues that while the initial price was nice, the maintenance of that would turn ugly quick.

At one point I even was a Mac hater...but when my daughter started her senior year in HS, the school started a program of buying/including Macbooks in the tuition so every student started the year with a Macbook which the school implemented into their program.  I decided to give it a try...AND LOVED IT! 

There is a learning curve when going from PC to Mac, but after a week or so, it became like second nature.  Everything just works seemlessly.  Buy a program?  Pop it in and drag the icon into your program folder.  Done.  Want to get rid of a program?  Drag it's icon into the trash.  There are a few things that I still miss from PC, but the overwhelming ease is..well, lets just say I don't think about computer problems much at all anymore.  Two other things I like about Mac...OS updates = $29.99!  PC OS upgrades = $149.99 or more!  And the Genius Bar!  They will help you through any problem...FREE!

The Macbook we bought about 5 years ago...still in use running the newest OSx very smoothly and havent needed to purchase any spyware since.  Virus free for 5 years and running...