News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Wish List and Trivial Problems

Started by DaveD, April 29, 2011, 01:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveD

A change to a new forum format is often confusing, even for people who are members of several fora. Different forum softwares have different ways of doing things, and often the differences are so subtle that the solution is easily overlooked, and a problem appears insurmountable.
I'm hoping that this thread will be a good place to post those problems, giving Whitney a chance to concentrate on smoothing out any transitional difficulties that really matter, and also a place to post requests for features that we'd all like to see, but which aren't all that urgent.
For example, I can't see a YouTube button, and previously posted videos aren't showing up for me. It isn't the end of the world though. The videos' addresses are visible, and can be accessed.
On the other hand, I might have missed something obvious, and someone in the know could point out what it is.  ;D

DaveD

One slight problem that I've noticed is that images that were posted before the change don't show, but it looks like those posted after do. I got a couple of mine to show up, at least for me, by clicking Modify in the post where I originally put them, then Save.

Ihateyoumike

I've been looking around and trying to find a button for the feature to return to the last post read within a thread, all to no avail.
I really liked that feature in the old forum because if a thread blows up it just pops you right back to where you were last time you read it.

Am I missing it or is it not an option? And if it's not on here, can it be added?
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Tank

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on May 03, 2011, 08:06:21 PM
I've been looking around and trying to find a button for the feature to return to the last post read within a thread, all to no avail.
I really liked that feature in the old forum because if a thread blows up it just pops you right back to where you were last time you read it.

Am I missing it or is it not an option? And if it's not on here, can it be added?
I think that it's just the little blue 'new' icon. Clicking it takes one to the last unread post on the thread. I think that's what you were looking for?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: Tank on May 03, 2011, 08:31:58 PM
I think that it's just the little blue 'new' icon. Clicking it takes one to the last unread post on the thread. I think that's what you were looking for?

Gracias Senor Tank! That's exactly what I was looking for. How I missed it, I don't know. That'll make my daily HAF browsing much easier.

Now, do you know if there's the equivalent of the 'show active topics' button? I did find the one under the statistics on the main page, but it shows the last message from every one, and not the nice tidy page that I'm used to.
Your littlest sin.

Whitney

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on May 03, 2011, 08:48:22 PM

Now, do you know if there's the equivalent of the 'show active topics' button? I did find the one under the statistics on the main page, but it shows the last message from every one, and not the nice tidy page that I'm used to.
The old forum also showed the most recent message and you had to click on the icon to jump to the last unread post.

hismikeness

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on May 03, 2011, 08:48:22 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 03, 2011, 08:31:58 PM

Gracias Senor Tank! That's exactly what I was looking for. How I missed it, I don't know. That'll make my daily HAF browsing much easier.

Up at the top left is the "Show unread posts since last visit" which I have been using. Seems similar.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: hismikeness on May 03, 2011, 09:34:16 PMUp at the top left is the "Show unread posts since last visit" which I have been using. Seems similar.

Yeah, I've been using that too. It's similar, but I did like the other one where if you posted on one, it would still keep it up in the list. With this one, it doesn't show back up until someone else posts on it so if I gotta go back and re-read something or make changes... I have to go find the post. Not a big deal, just gotta get used to the new setup.

And I really do hate you Mike.  ;)
Your littlest sin.

Whitney

So basically you'd like a link that just displays the most recent posts; not just most recent since last time you checked? 

I couldn't find a mod for that (feel free to search SMF's mod list we are running SMF 1.1.13)...but you could bookmark the RSS feed: http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?action=.xml;type=rss2

McQ

Being able to see the original date a thread was created is good too. We can see the date of the last post in a thread, but not the original date of the thread. Or have I missed it? And I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Quote from: McQ on May 04, 2011, 03:09:36 AM
Being able to see the original date a thread was created is good too. We can see the date of the last post in a thread, but not the original date of the thread. Or have I missed it? And I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet.
you can see it if you go to the first post.  Did it use to show elsewhere on the old forum?

McQ

Quote from: Whitney on May 04, 2011, 03:16:10 AM
you can see it if you go to the first post.  Did it use to show elsewhere on the old forum?

It did. It used to show it in the main page. I loved that, because then I knew, before going into the thread, how old it was. Often times I just ignore really old threads if I was in a hurry and didn't have time to investigate them all, but now I'll have to go into them just to see how old they are.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Quote from: McQ on May 04, 2011, 10:35:35 PM
Quote from: Whitney on May 04, 2011, 03:16:10 AM

It did. It used to show it in the main page. I loved that, because then I knew, before going into the thread, how old it was. Often times I just ignore really old threads if I was in a hurry and didn't have time to investigate them all, but now I'll have to go into them just to see how old they are.

ok, that should be something that I can implement later.

Recusant

Two requests; one probably trivial to implement, the other I'm not sure of.

1. A spoiler tag function. (I already mentioned this elsewhere, but this seems the place to centralize these things.)

2. In the old software, the "Search" function allowed a person to do a search of all of a particular member's posts without specifying a word to be searched for.  In other words, putting a name into the "by user" box and hitting "Search" would bring up all posts authored by that user.  I often found this helpful both for searching my own posts, and for other members'. The current settings require a particular word to be searched (and of course something vague like "the" is not acceptable).

Miscellaneous muttering: I too miss the "Active Topics" button, but I suppose the "Unread Posts Since Last Visit" will have to do.

Again-- Thank you Whitney, for providing this unique gathering place, and for all of the hard work you do behind the scenes to keep it working!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on May 19, 2011, 04:31:11 AM
Two requests; one probably trivial to implement, the other I'm not sure of.

1. A spoiler tag function. (I already mentioned this elsewhere, but this seems the place to centralize these things.)

2. In the old software, the "Search" function allowed a person to do a search of all of a particular member's posts without specifying a word to be searched for.  In other words, putting a name into the "by user" box and hitting "Search" would bring up all posts authored by that user.  I often found this helpful both for searching my own posts, and for other members'. The current settings require a particular word to be searched (and of course something vague like "the" is not acceptable).

Miscellaneous muttering: I too miss the "Active Topics" button, but I suppose the "Unread Posts Since Last Visit" will have to do.

Again-- Thank you Whitney, for providing this unique gathering place, and for all of the hard work you do behind the scenes to keep it working!

Comments seconded.

And a very big thank you to whitney for the time and effort she puts into this place.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.