News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

The Art and things we've made thread...

Started by Claireliontamer, January 28, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

all blackbirds are black.

have to be, else they couldnt be black birds.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on August 11, 2023, 11:32:57 PMall blackbirds are black.

What about an albino Blackbird? Does it cease to be a Blackbird because it is white?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MarcusA

All generalisations are false, including this one. - Mark Twain
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

If it helps you out, Tank, I may have committed the Black Swan fallacy.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on August 12, 2023, 12:24:54 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on August 11, 2023, 11:32:57 PMall blackbirds are black.

What about an albino Blackbird? Does it cease to be a Blackbird because it is white?

Albino blackbirds

billy rubin

Quote from: Tank on August 12, 2023, 12:24:54 AM

i was hoping you wouldnt bring that up

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

I have, at long last, started making the concrete Bird Feeder sculpture. This is the piece that required me to make the aluminium tray I showed some time ago.

Aluminium Tray

This is my design, for which I used the Poser model Michael:

The concrete sculpture will be slightly bigger than life size and will consist of about 50% realistic and 50% abstract elements. Here are renderings of what it will look like:

I have done the right torso element, shown here in pale gold:

As usual, I am using rapid set high strength concrete that starts setting hard in 20 minutes, so there is no room for error or hesitation once the pour is started. This photo shows the concrete cast and on the left the sacrificial mould I used to cast it.

The embedded 30 mm stainless steel washers can be seen as well. I will use stainless steel M10 nuts and 10 mm stainless threaded rods that run through the washers to join the elements. This element weighs just under 4 kg.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on September 24, 2023, 12:57:35 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on September 24, 2023, 12:49:57 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 24, 2023, 11:21:49 AMAmazing!

:)

Where will you display him?

My daughter commissioned the piece, so it will be installed in her garden in Morningside, Sandton, near the swimming pool. That's where the more abstract reclining nude sculpture is I made about 2 years ago.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 24, 2023, 01:29:37 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 24, 2023, 12:57:35 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on September 24, 2023, 12:49:57 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 24, 2023, 11:21:49 AMAmazing!

:)

Where will you display him?

My daughter commissioned the piece, so it will be installed in her garden in Morningside, Sandton, near the swimming pool. That's where the more abstract reclining nude sculpture is I made about 2 years ago.

:thumbsup:

hermes2015

Here is a photo of the whole arm and shoulder. The arm is hollow, with orthopaedic plates inside. The weight is 11 kg. The arm is "realistic" and the hand is abstract.

The right leg is half realistic and half abstract. Here is the mould for the realistic half. I've included a plain white credit card as a size reference.

Mould lined with 15mm thick concrete.

Demoulded right leg, showing the colours that develop when the concrete cures to give an effect I like very much. I am inspired by ancient Greek sculptures, which I think the concrete textures show effectively.

This part of the leg weighs 10 kg.
― Charles Eames

Recusant

Splendid to see the work in progress. Thank you very much for posting the images, hermes2015:thumb:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken