News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Hello Everybody!!

Started by rainbowcat212, May 09, 2012, 03:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainbowcat212

Hello, my name is rainbowcat212. I live in Ohio. I am an electronic media sports production major. I just completed my freshman year of college. I realized soon after I went off to college that the beliefs of the church did not match up in the least bit with my beliefs. After a bit of exploring my beliefs, I realized that I was an atheist. At college, nobody really cared. Now that I am home for the summer, my friends (and some of my family) still think that I am a christian. (Before I went off to college I was the student leader of my youth group and was heavily involved in the church.) I have not been to my church for 6 months now. I have been so much happier leading my own life!!

So.. that's a little about me. Thanks for having this nice little forum!!
So many years have passed, since I proclaimed my independence, my mission, my aim, and my vision, so secure, content to live each day like it's my last, it's wonderful to know, that I could be, something more than what I dreamed, far beyond what I could see -Dream Theater

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, rainbowcat212. It sounds like you might be in for a bit of grief from some of your former fellow congregants, given your past involvement and relative prominence in the church. If such does come your way, may you weather it in good spirits and with cheerful aplomb.  ;)

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

rainbowcat212

So many years have passed, since I proclaimed my independence, my mission, my aim, and my vision, so secure, content to live each day like it's my last, it's wonderful to know, that I could be, something more than what I dreamed, far beyond what I could see -Dream Theater

Amicale

Hi, Rainbowcat, welcome! I like your username! :)

Here you go, juuuuust for you:

I hope you enjoy HAF! Have fun here, I'm looking forward to talking with you. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

Hello rainbowcat212

Good to see another good mind find its way out of the fog of Institutionalised Superstition (Religion).

Welcome to HAF  ;D

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Greetings and welcome, rainbowcat212.

I'm delighted you've escaped from superstition.  If you get a lot of stick from your old church people, come to us for support and light relief.  :D

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Hello and welcome! You have a sixth month anniversary for being away from the church?!? I shall drink for the occasion.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Anne D.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

DeterminedJuliet

Annnd now I have the Nyan Cat song stuck in my head.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 10, 2012, 02:43:48 AM

Me too. Thanks. A bunch.  :P  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Buddy

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 10, 2012, 02:43:48 AM

Same here, but it is my ring tone so I get it in my head every time I get a call.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Recusant on May 09, 2012, 04:08:31 AMIf such does come your way, may you weather it in good spirits and with cheerful aplomb.  ;)

Aplomb, I think I've defined that word through context and the word web definition isn't quite want I imagined.
"Great coolness and composure under strain"
It's not a satisfactory definition, the word sounds bouncy.

"Origin: 1820–30; < French à plomb according to the plummet, i.e., straight up and down, vertical position"
That sounds bouncy, plumb bobs don't really bounce though.

"A 1905 book Grammar of the Art of Dancing, Theoretical and Practical referring to Bernhard Klemm, wrote: "Aplomb is the absolute safety in rising and falling back which results from the perpendicular attitude of the upper body and the artistic placing of the feet. By means of aplomb the dancer acquires a precision and an elegance which insure the successful execution of every foot-movement, however artistic and difficult, and thereby creates a pleasing and a satisfactory impression upon the observer. Aplomb may be compared with the sureness of touch of the pianist."

I suppose you could do things with aplomb while of an indifferent or grumpy state of mind, but you probably shouldn't let it show.

Anyway rainbowcat212 as a cat you probably should do things with aplomb, the best ones do.

Jimmy

Ahem... Speaking of which: Welcome:)
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~