News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

End of days guest.

Started by Amicale, May 06, 2012, 02:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

I have an end-of-the-world doomsday end-times'er currently visiting my home. He maintains we're in the last days, that the prophecies kicked into place when Israel became its own nation, and that we're blind and deluded because we don't recognize the signs and warnings in our bibles. Meanwhile, he's ranting nearly incoherently about how God wrote the bible, and how nowadays people are falling away from the church but this was warned about, and it'll start with even more floods and earthquakes... and apparently we'll all give into the antichrist because the next Catholic pope will sign a peace treaty with the Muslims that'll usher in the last days... Etc etc.

The only reason he hasn't been kicked out the door on his fucking ass is because he's the husband of the person who we invited over, and he came along. Meanwhile, the peace in my home is disrupted, and I don't want my daughter hearing that shit so we're hanging out, hiding away from the ranting end-timeser. She couldn't/wouldn't even go to sleep with him getting all freaky.  >:(

Edit: I won't even get into all the Muslim, gay, transgender etc etc bashing coming out of that bigot's mouth.

He's the sort who would eat up and LOVE the words of that loon of a 'pastor' mentioned in the OP.

EDIT: Split from this thread http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=9960.0 - Tank

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Amicale on May 06, 2012, 02:02:23 AM
I have an end-of-the-world doomsday end-times'er currently visiting my home. He maintains we're in the last days, that the prophecies kicked into place when Israel became its own nation, and that we're blind and deluded because we don't recognize the signs and warnings in our bibles. Meanwhile, he's ranting nearly incoherently about how God wrote the bible, and how nowadays people are falling away from the church but this was warned about, and it'll start with even more floods and earthquakes... and apparently we'll all give into the antichrist because the next Catholic pope will sign a peace treaty with the Muslims that'll usher in the last days... Etc etc.

The only reason he hasn't been kicked out the door on his fucking ass is because he's the husband of the person who we invited over, and he came along. Meanwhile, the peace in my home is disrupted, and I don't want my daughter hearing that shit so we're hanging out, hiding away from the ranting end-timeser. She couldn't/wouldn't even go to sleep with him getting all freaky.  >:(

Edit: I won't even get into all the Muslim, gay, transgender etc etc bashing coming out of that bigot's mouth.

He's the sort who would eat up and LOVE the words of that loon of a 'pastor' mentioned in the OP.

Hmmm interesting, worth its own thread I think.

Tank

How long did you have to put up with this guy?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

I assume he doesn't know you're an atheist? Either way, you have my sympathies. We have a pair of Jehovah Witnesses in our (extended family) who literally make me grind my teeth whenever they're around. They make so many inappropriate comments about "coloured" people, vegetarianism, etc. They once made a remark about the fact that my son went to my husband for comfort (which I think is a good thing!) because "his mother is never around because she works." I haven't mentioned atheism around them because I shudder to think about how that conversation would go.

But no one says anything about their beliefs to keep the peace.
Hopefully they aren't staying long? At any rate, we'll have a good rant about it when you come for a visit in a few weeks.  ;D  
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

I assume the wife is a reasonable person (or else you wouldn't have invited her over)  What is she doing while her husband is spewing Hate 'N Crazy (tm)?  I would be absolutely mortified (and wanting to leave and take my Bigot with me) if I brought someone like that to someone else's house and they wouldn't shut up.

xSilverPhinx

I once had an end-timer start with his opinions and feelings in the middle of class. Needless to say I got a little pissed, what if there was someone who took his idiocies seriously? Not too mention the guy was extremely misinformed, as is the case with many of these types, and started having his say on what he sees as the signs to confirm that Jesus would be coming back in his lifetime.

I really felt embarrassed for him. It was an odd feeling.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Amicale

Thankfully they were only over for the evening. This is a pattern, though. Anytime they come over, the wife is funny, friendly, really sweet -- she's like extended family to me, I love her like an aunt. Her husband is the one apt to go off on wild crazy tangents, though. She never corrects him. It makes me wonder if she quietly agrees with him about this stuff but just wouldn't say it out loud.... or if she quietly disagrees, and wouldn't say it out loud either.

The night ended on a somewhat funny note. The first 'Sex in the City' movie was on, so... it somehow found its way onto my tv screen. The wife liked it, she thought it was funny. The husband started complaining about all the nudity and sex scenes, but I said "well, tear your eyes away from the screen then!" and he admitted he couldn't.  :D

That relieved me, somewhat.... under all the doom and gloom, end times bullshit, he's a typical straight guy who likes to stare at breasts. I would have been far more worried if he'd gone off on a tangent about how Jesus hates those, too.

And DJ, I am really looking forward to ranting and rambling with you.  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on May 06, 2012, 04:13:17 PM
Thankfully they were only over for the evening. This is a pattern, though. Anytime they come over, the wife is funny, friendly, really sweet -- she's like extended family to me, I love her like an aunt. Her husband is the one apt to go off on wild crazy tangents, though. She never corrects him. It makes me wonder if she quietly agrees with him about this stuff but just wouldn't say it out loud.... or if she quietly disagrees, and wouldn't say it out loud either.
Maybe she has tried debating/arguing/screaming and given it up as a bad job so simply let's him get on with it?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ali

Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2012, 04:21:07 PM
Maybe she has tried debating/arguing/screaming and given it up as a bad job so simply let's him get on with it?

If that's the case, if I were her, I wouldn't take him out in public anymore.

Tank

Quote from: Ali on May 06, 2012, 04:22:59 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2012, 04:21:07 PM

If that's the case, if I were her, I wouldn't take him out in public anymore.
What would you do? Chain him up in the cellar?

Amicale

Well, sometimes she convinces him to stay home. Convincing him of this is often easy, all she needs to do is put on a fresh pot of coffee, give him some popcorn, and sit him in front of his DVR to watch a pre-recorded sports game or bunch of shows and often he prefers to stay home. I think it was the invitation over for seafood lasagna that enticed him.  :D

It's funny, they're both fundies, they both believe that stuff, but only he spouts off about it. Last night I was more ticked than anything that he was a guest in our home, and was basically suggesting if we didn't believe the way he did, we'd be deluded and susceptible to the anti-Christ.  ::)

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on May 06, 2012, 04:30:35 PM
Well, sometimes she convinces him to stay home. Convincing him of this is often easy, all she needs to do is put on a fresh pot of coffee, give him some popcorn, and sit him in front of his DVR to watch a pre-recorded sports game or bunch of shows and often he prefers to stay home. I think it was the invitation over for seafood lasagna that enticed him.  :D

It's funny, they're both fundies, they both believe that stuff, but only he spouts off about it. Last night I was more ticked than anything that he was a guest in our home, and was basically suggesting if we didn't believe the way he did, we'd be deluded and susceptible to the anti-Christ.  ::)
He was obviously completely oblivious to the fact that you are the Antichrist  ;D

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2012, 04:32:57 PM

He was obviously completely oblivious to the fact that you are the Antichrist  ;D

Sssshhhh! It's best I be undercover for now!  ;D

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on May 06, 2012, 04:36:21 PM
Well, sometimes she convinces him to stay home. Convincing him of this is often easy, all she needs to do is put on a fresh pot of coffee, give him some popcorn, and sit him in front of his DVR to watch a pre-recorded sports game or bunch of shows and often he prefers to stay home. I think it was the invitation over for seafood lasagna that enticed him.  :D

It's funny, they're both fundies, they both believe that stuff, but only he spouts off about it. Last night I was more ticked than anything that he was a guest in our home, and was basically suggesting if we didn't believe the way he did, we'd be deluded and susceptible to the anti-Christ. ::)
He was obviously completely oblivious to the fact that you are the Antichrist  ;D

Sssshhhh! It's best I be undercover for now!  ;D
Can I get under the covers with you?  ;)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Amicale on May 06, 2012, 04:36:21 PM
Well, sometimes she convinces him to stay home. Convincing him of this is often easy, all she needs to do is put on a fresh pot of coffee, give him some popcorn, and sit him in front of his DVR to watch a pre-recorded sports game or bunch of shows and often he prefers to stay home. I think it was the invitation over for seafood lasagna that enticed him.  :D

It's funny, they're both fundies, they both believe that stuff, but only he spouts off about it. Last night I was more ticked than anything that he was a guest in our home, and was basically suggesting if we didn't believe the way he did, we'd be deluded and susceptible to the anti-Christ. ::)
He was obviously completely oblivious to the fact that you are the Antichrist  ;D

Sssshhhh! It's best I be undercover for now!  ;D

Heheh

Now wouldn't that be amusing. ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey