Space Shuttle Enterprise Lands in New York

Started by Amicale, April 27, 2012, 10:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

QuoteNASA ending shuttle program after 30 years
The Associated Press
Posted: Apr 27, 2012 9:01 AM ET
Last Updated: Apr 27, 2012 11:35 AM ET

An unusual flying object came to New York from Washington on Friday – the space shuttle Enterprise.

Enterprise zoomed around the city, riding piggyback on top of a modified jumbo jet, before landing at Kennedy Airport. Its trip included flyovers over parts of the city and landmarks including the Statue of Liberty and the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum on Manhattan's west side.

As the shuttle passed Manhattan, people gathered on rooftops to gawk. It was chased through the air by a NASA plane, and in the Hudson River by numerous ferries and other boats.

The rest at the link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/04/27/space-shuttle-enterprise-new-york.html

Man, would that ever be a sight to see! SD (or anyone else in NY)... did you see it??

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

The Black Jester

Quote from: Amicale on April 27, 2012, 10:35:16 PM
Man, would that ever be a sight to see! SD (or anyone else in NY)... did you see it??

Man, I knew I'd regret leaving New York City...
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Siz

Interestingly, Enterprise was never actually spaceflight worthy and never flew outside of Earths atmosphere - it was just a test vehicle.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Amicale

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Amicale

This exchange took place today on a friend's facebook wall. I thought it was funny.  :D

Crow

Quote from: Amicale on April 28, 2012, 05:48:37 AM
This exchange took place today on a friend's facebook wall. I thought it was funny.  :D

Fantastic!

Golden age my arse though. We have done bugger all up there and those spaceships were inefficient and impracticable from the beginning, the day the international space station got thought up they became redundant. They looked cool and were iconic of NASA though.
Retired member.