News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Okinawa deal between US and Japan to move marines

Started by Tank, April 27, 2012, 07:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

QuoteThe United States and Japan have reached a deal to move thousands of US Marines from the island of Okinawa.

Some 9,000 marines will be sent to ''locations outside of Japan'', a joint statement by Washington and Tokyo said. Some 10,000 troops will remain.

The revised agreement comes ahead of a visit to Washington by Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda.

The two sides have still not reached agreement on closing the controversial Futenma airbase on Okinawa.

The troops leaving Okinawa will be moved to Guam, Hawaii and other locations in the Asia Pacific region...

Okinawa is the only part of Japan that Allied forces invaded during WWII. American forces have remained there since then. The bases have been a political grinding point for over 60 years now. Is there any need to keep the bases at all?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

history_geek

Quote from: Tank on April 27, 2012, 07:41:49 AM

QuoteThe United States and Japan have reached a deal to move thousands of US Marines from the island of Okinawa.

Some 9,000 marines will be sent to ''locations outside of Japan'', a joint statement by Washington and Tokyo said. Some 10,000 troops will remain.

The revised agreement comes ahead of a visit to Washington by Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda.

The two sides have still not reached agreement on closing the controversial Futenma airbase on Okinawa.

The troops leaving Okinawa will be moved to Guam, Hawaii and other locations in the Asia Pacific region...

Okinawa is the only part of Japan that Allied forces invaded during WWII. American forces have remained there since then. The bases have been a political grinding point for over 60 years now. Is there any need to keep the bases at all?

Well, to me it seems impractical to keep almost 20000 troops (half of which are now leaving) in a place where they are no longer needed. Some 50 years ago it made strategic sense, should some "samurai" go a bit wild (there actually have been a couple of attempts by some officers in the Self Defense Force (the current Japanese army) to get Japan into a different shape, but nothing ever came of them), but now? I'm not convinced. Then again, it is rather close to Korea, no?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Tank

The base locations are significant if hostilities broke out in Korea. The Japanese constitution would make it difficult/impossible for US forces to operate form Japanese soil, except from these existing bases. If the bases were physically empty they may still remain available to the US in time of war.

There is also the issue of Taiwan to consider over the next decade or so. Although the increasing mutual financial dependence of China and Japan make that conflict increasingly unlikely as time goes by. 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

There are most likely still a few aged Japanese soldiers hiding out on Okinawa, unaware that the war has been over for a while now.  Still, it shouldn't take 9,000 marines to deal with them - a couple of nurses ought to be enough.

history_geek

Quote from: OldGit on April 27, 2012, 11:17:13 AM
There are most likely still a few aged Japanese soldiers hiding out on Okinawa, unaware that the war has been over for a while now.  Still, it shouldn't take 9,000 marines to deal with them - a couple of nurses ought to be enough.

It all depends how rusty their rifles are. Just hope that they don't have any katanas with them. They are bound to be sharp, so they might actually hurt someone. Besides themselves I mean.

And knowing that the previous record for an Imperial Army soldier to keep his position is 1974..... :o
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

OldGit

markmcdaniel

It generally is a good idea to have military forces forward deployed in potential crisis areas. Okinawa is closer to Korea and Taiwan and would reduce both the amount of sea lift and the turnaround time needed to more troops in to this theater of operations.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Firebird

The US is also making a big push to establish more of a presence in the Pacific, mostly due to the rise of China. Obama recently announced a new base in Alice Spring, Australia as well. It's also why they're trying to muscle their way in Myanmar as it appears to be moving ever-so-slowly towards a democracy. The Chinese were trying to extend their sphere of influence into Myanmar, but elements of the country are resisting them and the US sees an opportunity.

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ali

It's their (Japan's) country.  If they don't want us there, we should leave.  We wouldn't take it gladly if the shoe was on the other foot and Japan was camped out in Michigan in case they ever need to invade Canada.

McQ

Quote from: Ali on June 08, 2012, 04:22:31 PM
It's their (Japan's) country.  If they don't want us there, we should leave.  We wouldn't take it gladly if the shoe was on the other foot and Japan was camped out in Michigan in case they ever need to invade Canada.

Best reason to stay, quoted by a friend's child.

But the beaches are soooo nice! I don't wanna leeeeave!

;D
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Guardian85

The base on Okinawa has been one of the most important bases the US has had in the Pacific since WW2. They used it in Korea and Vietnam as a base and staging area for strike craft hitting targets on the ground in support of the US Army and Marines. And it was used as a check for Soviet and Red China interests in the theater.
The fact that they are reducing the number of marines on the island makes sence in the current economic climate, especially as it can be used to curry favor with the japanese government.
The fact that the base is still maintained with it's complement of aircraft and facilities still means that the base will remain a efficient power projection tool for the US.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Crow

I cant fault the US wanting to keep their military bases in Okinawa, from a military perspective its perfect (far better than Australia). Its understandable that the locals see it as a violation of the agreement made after WW2 for the end of the American occupation of Japan, then with the crimes that had been committed by US nationals staying at the bases, and the cities/towns basically being built around them (the Okinawan's can only blame themselves for that) having to deal with very high levels of noise on a daily basis I can understand why they want them to go. The Japanese government can't really do anything to get rid of the bases though.
Retired member.

Firebird

It's still beneficial to Japan to have a US presence on the island, which is why they're not trying to kick them off completely. Japan only has a small civil defense force since WW2 and needs a better counterweight against China. Doesn't excuse some of the horrible behavior by the marines, of course, but that's probably why they want to move the base as opposed to kick the US out.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"