News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Greetings

Started by Azure, April 26, 2012, 01:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azure

Hello there, everyone. I'm new around here, just joined a few minutes ago. I am an atheist and I have recently changed my world view to be more positive and happy about things so I think this would be a very good place for me to be. I am a gay male, nearly 27 years old, living in the great state of Kansas with my wonderful partner of nearly two years, my sister in law, and my brother in law when he returns from Afghanistan. I am a huge book worm and I love movies, especially sci-fi, action and horror. I will also admit that as a guilt pleasure I also like a lot of the Disney movies, especially the older ones, the Classics if you will. Well, I can't think of much more to say, so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Buddy

Welcome to the forum fellow book loving happy atheist!  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Azure

Tank

Hi Azure

Did anything in particular cause you recent change in attitude? Are you an ex-theist or a never theist?

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

ladyblackwell

Hi there, I'm a newbie who likes sci-fi and Disney movies too!

Tank

Quote from: ladyblackwell on April 26, 2012, 05:33:21 PM
Hi there, I'm a newbie who likes sci-fi and Disney movies too!
There are quite a few SiFi buffs around here. I have just finished the Commonwealth Saga and Void Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton. What sort of thing do you two like?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Amicale

Hey, Azure, welcome! :)

Looks like we've got quite a bit in common, including being bookworms, movie buffs, and fans of action and sci-fi. And yes, I also have a fondness for more than a few Disney movies.  :D

I'm glad you decided to join up! It's funny how many atheists are nerds or geeks, eh?  :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Azure

Quote from: Tank on April 26, 2012, 03:44:24 PM
Hi Azure

Did anything in particular cause you recent change in attitude? Are you an ex-theist or a never theist?

In all truthfulness I would have to say I am a never theist, as I am not all that sure I ever believed in any of the mythologies I studied from childhood on. As to my recent change in attitude I guess you could say I got tired of being a negative person. It made my life less fun and much more difficult.

To the rest of you thank you very much for the welcome. I don't find it at all weird that most of our group tend to be nerds, or geeks, or sci-fi fanatics.

OldGit

Welcome, Azure!  Seems to me you'll fit in here.

Tank

Quote from: Azure on April 26, 2012, 06:39:52 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 26, 2012, 03:44:24 PM
Hi Azure

In all truthfulness I would have to say I am a never theist, as I am not all that sure I ever believed in any of the mythologies I studied from childhood on. As to my recent change in attitude I guess you could say I got tired of being a negative person. It made my life less fun and much more difficult.

That's a good thing to hear. Being negative often leads to a victim mentality which can lead to depression, which is often the start of of a downward negative feedback loop.

Quote from: Azure on April 26, 2012, 06:39:52 PM
To the rest of you thank you very much for the welcome. I don't find it at all weird that most of our group tend to be nerds, or geeks, or sci-fi fanatics.
In my experience the majority of people that inhabit forums tend to be nerds, geeks and sci-fi fanatics :D

Is your BIL at the sharp end in Afghanistan or in a relatively safe place? 

DeterminedJuliet

Hello and welcome!
I like the colour Azure. It's nice.
There do tend to be a few of us geeky sorts, so you should fit right in!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

McQ

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the intro.
Favorite Disney classic?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

ThinkAnarchy

Welcome aboard. I enjoy sci-fi as well; I just wish I read more of them. I'm currently watching Fringe. It started off terrible, but after plowing through the first few episodes it has become very enjoyable.

Action movies are one of my guilty pleasures. I don't like enjoying them purely for the explosions and suspense, but can't help myself.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Azure

Tank: I am unsure where he is stationed exactly. I haven't asked because I wasn't sure he would even be able to tell me.

McQ: I would have to say my favorite Disney Classic is Alice in Wonderland because it has been one of my favorite stories since I was a small child. VERY close second is Little Mermaid, with my favorite character being Ursula. And yes, I realize that I just showed you all how very gay I really am.

To the rest of you, thank you for the very warm welcome, especially you ThinkAnarchy for the simple reason that Invader Zim is possibly the best cartoon ever created and you have Zim as your avatar.

AnimatedDirt

Welcome Azure.  :)

I must've watched The Little Mermaid one thousand times with my daughter up until she was 4ish.  To this day, I hear and see the opening blue screen with Cinderella's Castle and Tinkerbell at the beginning of a Disney movie and my mind instantly goes to The Little Mermaid intro music...

Anyway, welcome.  You're in good hands here at HAF.