News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Continuum of Preparedness

Started by Squid, April 22, 2012, 06:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

Every since I was in high school I remember being interested in survival topics because I loved to go camping.  I wanted to know how to make a fire without matches, how to get water and hunt and forage for food.  Mostly typical outdoors kind of stuff.  Later on, after being in the military, I became more interested in emergency preparedness intertwined with tactical skills - firearm home defense and the like.

It seems that at some point here in south Texas there'd be a power outage, once in a while hurricane (I live just 30 miles or so from the Texas coast), wilfires (last year was a good example), drought, unbearable heat, city water contamination, tornados, and more recently even small earthquakes in an area that is not even remotely equipped to handle the earth moving.  So some measure of emergency preparedness has always been the norm - flashlights, batteries, water purifiers, plenty of can goods, weather radio, duct tape (101 Uses for Duct Tape) and of course, the camping gear that can also be useful.

However, within the last couple of years and even more so over the last year preparedness has become more a part of the social consciousness.  From the usual basic government recommendations to the full on EMP/Nuclear attack ready folks on shows like Doomsday Preppers.  I think everyone has some level of preparedness they partake in - just having some cash saved in a firebox at home "just in case" would be considered a preparation tactic.  So I guess my purpose of this thread was to see where everyone falls on the continuum of preparedness? From the very casual - extra case of beer in case it's too late to buy more to the steel fortress made out of shipping containers ready to fight off zombie hoards - I'm sure we all fall somewhere in there.

So what about old Squid?  I would most likely fall on the other side of the mean.  I've wanted to do things like have some land to have a garden, toss up some solar panels, store up some can goods and teach family and friends combatives and firearm use.  I have an SAS tatics book right next to my Principles of Neural Science text.  However, I have yet to construct a fortified, self sustaining compound to wait for the descent of civilization into a post apocalyptic chaos...although I do think it would be pretty cool...like a modern day castle... ;D

Tank

We have some bottled water and wine in the garage. That's it  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I have nothing. I'm absolutley vunerable. ;D

:-\

:(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 22, 2012, 07:45:19 PM
I have nothing. I'm absolutley vunerable. ;D

:-\

:(

Aside from the emergency $10 i try to take in my wallet...i dont have any kind of emergency anything.
I really fail. Aside from "stop, drop,roll" and "see a stranger, run or cry for help" they dont teach you much in NYC.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Gawen

Quote from: Squid on April 22, 2012, 06:13:48 PM
So I guess my purpose of this thread was to see where everyone falls on the continuum of preparedness?
This is a huge topic. It is such an immense topic that if it stays on topic and enough people join in, it could easily go 100 pages.

I'm 100% prepping and counting.  I prep for my family. I prep in case I or my wife lose our jobs; for whatever reason.

There have been studies that show most American people have about 3 days worth of food in their home. Most supermarkets in any particular area have enough food to feed the local population for 3 days before they start running out. My opinion is everyone should have at least one week worth of food in the house and the means to cook it for small emergencies.

QuoteSo what about old Squid?  I would most likely fall on the other side of the mean.  I've wanted to do things like have some land to have a garden, toss up some solar panels, store up some can goods and teach family and friends combatives and firearm use.
So what's stopping you?

QuoteI have an SAS tatics book right next to my Principles of Neural Science text.
And neither one will do you any good if the SHTF (Shit Hits The Fan).

QuoteHowever, I have yet to construct a fortified, self sustaining compound to wait for the descent of civilization into a post apocalyptic chaos...although I do think it would be pretty cool...like a modern day castle... ;D
Ahhhh...the romanticists survivalist attitude. Once you see the amount of stuff you need, you'll lose that attitude pretty quick. There is a great deal to discuss. I'll offer you my opinions and advice of what I know and do about it with over 30 years (off and on) experience of prepping.

But, the very first thing you need to do is get serious. Prepping is a short to long term insurance policy. You keep a spare tire in the trunk in case you never need to use it. You have home (or flood insurance in your case) and auto insurance hoping you'll never need it. Depending on what you're prepping for, well...prep yourself for spending a lot of time, commitment and money in the hopes you'll never need it.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Siz

Quote from: Gawen on April 23, 2012, 01:21:12 PM
Quote from: Squid on April 22, 2012, 06:13:48 PM
So I guess my purpose of this thread was to see where everyone falls on the continuum of preparedness?
This is a huge topic. It is such an immense topic that if it stays on topic and enough people join in, it could easily go 100 pages.

I'm 100% prepping and counting.  I prep for my family. I prep in case I or my wife lose our jobs; for whatever reason.

There have been studies that show most American people have about 3 days worth of food in their home. Most supermarkets in any particular area have enough food to feed the local population for 3 days before they start running out. My opinion is everyone should have at least one week worth of food in the house and the means to cook it for small emergencies.

QuoteSo what about old Squid?  I would most likely fall on the other side of the mean.  I've wanted to do things like have some land to have a garden, toss up some solar panels, store up some can goods and teach family and friends combatives and firearm use.
So what's stopping you?

QuoteI have an SAS tatics book right next to my Principles of Neural Science text.
And neither one will do you any good if the SHTF (Shit Hits The Fan).

QuoteHowever, I have yet to construct a fortified, self sustaining compound to wait for the descent of civilization into a post apocalyptic chaos...although I do think it would be pretty cool...like a modern day castle... ;D
Ahhhh...the romanticists survivalist attitude. Once you see the amount of stuff you need, you'll lose that attitude pretty quick. There is a great deal to discuss. I'll offer you my opinions and advice of what I know and do about it with over 30 years (off and on) experience of prepping.

But, the very first thing you need to do is get serious. Prepping is a short to long term insurance policy. You keep a spare tire in the trunk in case you never need to use it. You have home (or flood insurance in your case) and auto insurance hoping you'll never need it. Depending on what you're prepping for, well...prep yourself for spending a lot of time, commitment and money in the hopes you'll never need it.

Well, we've got a choice of competing Indian-owned corner-shops near us so we're pretty invulnerable to anything less than a sun supernova  :D

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

The Magic Pudding

I don't keep water, there's things I could fill if I had warning.
I use powdered milk and keep a couple of weeks worth of that.
I usually have a few litres of fuel for the chain saw and there's timber about and a wood heater.
A portable butane cooker and some cans of fuel.
There are wallabies and roos that come by but they move quite fast.
I have a cricket bat for defence and a guard dog which should be good for a couple of meals.
When stuff is on 50% off sale I buy a lot of it.  I bought twenty cans of salmon last week, still working through the six 5kg sacks of Basmatti I bought last year, tea, canned corn, tomatoes, beetroot, peaches.  Lots of pasta.
I think I'd last quite a while before I'd even have to consider eating the children but if it's going to be long running problem it would be logical to eat them early on, before they consume any non perishables.
I could go fishing, I've been thinking I should get a beach rod, I used to have one.

Hector Valdez

I know how to cut down a tree with an axe, and how to make deer jerky. I can forage for food if I really need to, and I can navigate with or without the use of a compass. In the event of natural catastrophe, I'm more capable of traveling light and finding temporary shelter than I am of putting immense amount of resources into a giant fallout shelter that other people will want. I say, if you're going to be living in an infrastructure less world, travel light.

This seems to have been lost on most americans these days.  :-\

Squid

Quote from: Gawen on April 23, 2012, 01:21:12 PM

I've learned that rather quickly.  There's so very much involved.  I've read over a couple of general preparedness books but still have a few more to go that I've picked up.

QuoteSo what's stopping you?

Money mostly.  The job I do now for the State doesn't pay much at all.  I make about half the salary I used to.  Working on finding something more lucrative since I finished my masters back in August of last year.  Unfortunately the job market is horrible.  I've bought a few books, have a decent bag to put together a grab and go or "bug out" bag, flashlights, laterns, couple of good knives, various gear I've had for mostly camping like survival kit, compass, binoculars, hiking boots etc.

QuoteAnd neither one will do you any good if the SHTF (Shit Hits The Fan).

The nueroscience text definitely not...maybe as a blunt weapon. The SAS book is pretty neat, besides stuff like squad tactics is does have a section on urban combat which has some good info and then the general wilderness survival stuff.  However, I think I've learned the most from a few books, the internet and Backwoodsman magazine.

QuoteAhhhh...the romanticists survivalist attitude. Once you see the amount of stuff you need, you'll lose that attitude pretty quick.

It's nice to dream sometimes.

QuoteThere is a great deal to discuss. I'll offer you my opinions and advice of what I know and do about it with over 30 years (off and on) experience of prepping.

I think right now it seems my biggest hurdle is time and money.  Time to learn the skills which is an ongoing process of reading, watching videos and seeking out the information and the money well, I just gotta keep filling out those applications and sending out my CV.  But I'd definitely like to discuss it further with someone with so much experience  :)

Whitney

Other than knowing how to find the safest possible place in the event of a tornado I'm not very prepared for anything.  But if everything went to shit I could make my own clothes out of twine and whatnot since I know how to knit, sew, and crochet.  My general idea is that if things were so bad that I'd have to have a huge stock pile and no one would be around to lend a hand that it's probably not worth living through anyway.  But if I lived in a hurricane area I would keep a small stock of food and water just in case I ever wasn't able to evacuate in time for whatever reason.

Gawen

Quote from: Whitney on April 24, 2012, 03:48:24 AM
My general idea is that if things were so bad that I'd have to have a huge stock pile and no one would be around to lend a hand that it's probably not worth living through anyway. 
I've never understood this mentality. Prepping is nothing other than self sufficiency with a will to live, not having a year's supply of food looking for someone to help you eat it. And if the world did throw itself off the cliff onto the jagged rocks below, there's gonna be a whole lot of people around, short of an all out nuke war.

Surrounding yourself in a small group of like minded individuals and/or family's helps make it worth it. You don't know if something like a total worldwide economic collapse is worth living through until you prepare for it and actually start living through it. Of course, that is the ultimate long term plan. Every other disaster is pretty much short term.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.

Gawen

Quote from: Squid on April 24, 2012, 02:46:18 AM

I've learned that rather quickly.  There's so very much involved.  I've read over a couple of general preparedness books but still have a few more to go that I've picked up.
It depends on how you want to survive. Common sense rules. If you want to run to the mountains and live off the land, for example, make sure you have lots of multi vitamins and vitamin C. Scurvy and loose teeth ain't all that great, so I hear.
Stay to the Rule of 3's (the last two being the more important):
    3 minutes without breathing (drowning, asphyxiation)
    3 hours without shelter in an extreme environment (exposure)
    3 days without water (dehydration)
    3 weeks without food (starvation)

QuoteMoney mostly.  The job I do now for the State doesn't pay much at all.  I make about half the salary I used to.  Working on finding something more lucrative since I finished my masters back in August of last year.  Unfortunately the job market is horrible.
I understand that all to well. To get started with food and water....have all your friends that drink out of 2 or 3 litre bottles save them for you. They're free water storage until you can find cheap food grade drums. As for food, store what you eat to start with and rotate it. Like oatmeal? How about beans? You're in Texas, do you have an Aldi's down there?

QuoteI've bought a few books, have a decent bag to put together a grab and go or "bug out" bag, flashlights, laterns, couple of good knives, various gear I've had for mostly camping like survival kit, compass, binoculars, hiking boots etc.
You're on your way. And you'll find as you get along into it that getting prepared is a lifestyle change. I'll list the entire contents of my BoB when I get home tonight and my swelling medium medical/trauma bag. Every member in your household must have a BOB.

QuoteThe nueroscience text definitely not...maybe as a blunt weapon.
This actually has a use. You have something to read. Moral will be an issue.

QuoteThe SAS book is pretty neat, besides stuff like squad tactics is does have a section on urban combat which has some good info and then the general wilderness survival stuff.
Do you have a squad? Do you have weapons? Are you planning wilderness survival with or without a squad? Your odds dwindle.

QuoteHowever, I think I've learned the most from a few books, the internet and Backwoodsman magazine.
Keep reading.

QuoteIt's nice to dream sometimes.
Way back then I used to think the same way. I have since learned that it is much easier to find a group of like minded folks and store food, water, protection, energy, moral items (including 'feel-good' food) and heirloom type seeds (amongst a plethors of other items) AND meeting these folks at a pre-arranged place BEFORE the SHTF than it is to pick berries, tubers and hunt for every single meal. And believe me, if you're set on wilderness survival with a case or two of back up MRE's, better take a large amount of antacids.

QuoteI think right now it seems my biggest hurdle is time and money.
As is mine. But there is so much inexpensive food and stuff to get. What you need to do is prioritize.
Prepare for?
How long?

Gotta have:
Water
Food
Shelter
Protection

QuoteTime to learn the skills which is an ongoing process of reading, watching videos and seeking out the information
I devote somewhere around 4-6 hours a week in this. That's why I'm not in HAF as much lately.

Quoteand the money well, I just gotta keep filling out those applications and sending out my CV.  But I'd definitely like to discuss it further with someone with so much experience  :)
Keep trying. Are you married? GF? Kids? Apartment or house? Got family near you? It helps you to get a better feel of WHO, besides yourself you may be prepping for/with.

Should be a cool thread.

Squid

Quote from: Gawen on April 24, 2012, 12:39:29 PMShould be a cool thread.

Oh yeah think so. I know I've got a lot to learn most definitely... :o

Do you have any recommendations as far as resources for learning?  Books, websites, etc?

As far as other people, my sister is very interested in preparedness but is a newb like me.  I also have a couple of friends who have voiced some interest as well; one of them is very interested in learning to make wine, beer and biodiesel at home...I just hope he doesn't mix them up...

Gawen

My BOB

Lighter and matches
Caution tape – 100'
Glow sticks x 2
Mini Maglite Flashlight + red filter
Cotton balls impregnated with Vaseline for starting easy fires (bagged)
Home made denatured alcohol camp stove w/ 1 liter alcohol
Water in 2 litre military canteen and one quart canteen
Coffee Filters (bagged)
Instant coffee
Multi vitamins
Antacid Tablets
Batteries , spare – for everything I have that's battery operated
Aquamira Frontier Emergency filter (survival straw)
Hand Sanitizer
Sleeping Bag
Datrex Emergency Ration x3
Homemade MRE's x 3
Bag of hard candy (Jolly Ranchers)
3 pairs of wool socks
Gloves – shooting/mechanic's
Goggles
Spare glasses
Poncho
Electrical tape, 1 roll
Ziploc bags – 4 quart sizes in a gallon freezer Zip Loc)
Extra boots
Clothes, (all top are long sleeved)
Bug spray
Sun screen
Chapstick
Waterproof Adhesive Medical Tape
2 Ace type bandages
Calamine Lotion
Hydrocortizone Cream
Ibuprofen/Acetaminophen
Thermometer
Immodium
Allergy meds, over the counter
Betadine
Lydocaine + syringes
Solarcaine
Triple Antibiotic
Saline Packets
Ammonia inhalants
Alcohol Swabs
EMT tool pack
Suture and needle
Surgical Dressings
3 Kotex sanitary napkins
QuikClot
Gauze Pads & rolls (all kinds/all sizes)
Roll up splint (can't remember the name of it... elastoplast?)
Instant Cold Pack
Pedialyte type powder mix
Cotton Balls
Assorted sizes of band-aids and bandages
Triangle Bandages
2 bandanas
Alcohol wipes, several
Butterfly Closures/Steri-strips
Latex Gloves – sterile x 2
Latex gloves – non sterile x 2
Moleskin
Condoms x 2
Saline eye wash, single use x 4
Fingernail clippers
Tweezers
Black trash bag
Area map
Hunting Knife
Toilet paper
Duct Tape
100 foot 550 paracord
P-38 Can Opener (military)
Spices
Cook Set, military
Tooth Brush
Tooth Paste
Shaving Cream
Razor
Antibacterial Bar Soap
Zip Ties (all sizes)
Leather Work Gloves
Crazy glue
2 Decks of Cards
Sewing Kit + safety pins, small
8'x10' Ripstop Tarp
Pencils and Sharpener
Crystal Light Water Flavor Packets
1911 .45 ACP pistol with 3 mags and 24 extra rounds
$50 in 5 dollar increments (should be 10 times that)
Water purification tablets
Long knife (5 inch), full-tang
Earplugs
Towel

That's just my pack.  The other members of the family have their packs basically the same, although some items omitted.
I'm looking to get or make a Camelback and forgo the 2 litre canteen (might keep it not filled). And a head mounted flashlight for hands free operation.
One may think this weighs a ton. But don't forget, it's to last 3 days until you get to where you're going. A lot of this stuff is scaled down and repackaged. I've never weighed it, but I reckon it's around 30-35 pounds. The water and extra boots are the heaviest items.

Gawen

Quote from: The Semaestro on April 23, 2012, 08:55:08 PM
I know how to cut down a tree with an axe, and how to make deer jerky. I can forage for food if I really need to, and I can navigate with or without the use of a compass. In the event of natural catastrophe, I'm more capable of traveling light and finding temporary shelter than I am of putting immense amount of resources into a giant fallout shelter that other people will want. I say, if you're going to be living in an infrastructure less world, travel light.

This seems to have been lost on most americans these days.  :-\
But what are you going to do after that?