News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

K-E Diet through feeding tube.

Started by ThinkAnarchy, April 19, 2012, 07:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThinkAnarchy

I'm stunned by how U.S. citizens keep getting dumber and lazier.

http://gma.yahoo.com/k-e-diet-brides-using-feeding-tubes-rapidly-080053646--abc-news-health.html

Brides-to-be looking to shed that final 10, 15 or 20 pounds in order to fit into their dream wedding gown have taken a controversial approach to crash dieting that involves inserting a feeding tube into their noses for up to 10 days for a quick fix to rapid weight loss.

Quote"It was emotionally difficult, the 10 days of not eating," Schnaider said. "And sometimes I had to give excuses to people who were asking are you sick? And I was like, 'No, I'm not sick, I'm not dying, I'm fine.'

"I was tired. I didn't feel like exercising. The doctor told me that if you can compliment with walking for a half an hour on the beach, that would be great, but I didn't feel like doing that. I'm a very energetic person, but those days I was a little tired."

Quote"The main side effects are bad breath; there is some constipation because there is no fiber in the food," he said.

Although the K-E diet is new to the United States, it has been around for years in Europe. Dr. Di Pietro charges $1,500 for the 10-day plan, and says the before-and-after pictures sell themselves.

It's good to know Europeans are trying to make Idiocracy a reality as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Tank

This sort of thing does make one worry about the sanity of some people when faced with the intense peer pressure of US media. I don't see it getting better either.  >:(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Jeeze. When I get a little pudgy around the middle, I just borrow Vinnie's neck sweat to use while I run.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dobermonster

And all the patients who actually require naso-gastric feeding for therapeutic purposes say, "Are you fucking kidding me?"

How desperate do you have to be to do that? Just getting the damn tube down is an extremely uncomfortable procedure. I remember one poor patient crying and gagging while the nurse tried to feed the tube past the soft palate . . . it kept getting stuck . . .:(

DeterminedJuliet

Isn't that how they used to torture suffragettes?

Oh, the irony.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 19, 2012, 08:26:41 PM
Isn't that how they used to torture suffragettes?

Oh, the irony.
It wasn't done to torture or punish (although that was undoubtedly considered an advantageous side effect by some) but to prevent successful hunger strikes.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

DeterminedJuliet

Yeah, I guess saying they did it "to torture" might not be the most accurate. But that's how I'd probably consider it if I was the person getting a tube shoved into my body against my will.

Nonetheless, it makes me sad that people think this is a good idea.  :(
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 19, 2012, 08:39:57 PM
Yeah, I guess saying they did it "to torture" might not be the most accurate. But that's how I'd probably consider it if I was the person getting a tube shoved into my body against my will.

Nonetheless, it makes me sad that people think this is a good idea.  :(
Absolutely true.

Crocoduck

When we had patients who we thought were faking unconsciousness, most times someone in the local lock up who thought they would rather spend the night in the ER instead of jail. We used to "Secure their airway" by inserting a nasopharyngeal cannula.

Inserting the device is unpleasant enough that someone who is faking has a hard time lying still. 

As for this K-E Diet feeding tube, I don't see it as either dumb or lazy. Anyone who thinks only lazy people are over wight is just narrow minded and doesn't understand the issue. I admit it's over the top but many people are pretty desperate. I also think it sounds safer and less drastic then liposuction and thats been used for decades.
Why be so hateful and condescending to people who are trying something thats new?
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Crocoduck on April 21, 2012, 03:29:27 AM
As for this K-E Diet feeding tube, I don't see it as either dumb or lazy. Anyone who thinks only lazy people are over wight is just narrow minded and doesn't understand the issue. I admit it's over the top but many people are pretty desperate. I also think it sounds safer and less drastic then liposuction and thats been used for decades.
Why be so hateful and condescending to people who are trying something thats new?

Because I was responding to the article which focused on the dumb brides undergoing this treatment to loose a few pounds before their wedding. Exercise and eat right.

Added: Also this treatment wouldn't appear to work for people who need to lose a lot of weight. So yes, the brides are lazy and stupid, in my opinion. People who weren't lazy would diet and exercise to fit into their dress.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Whitney

I admit it's over the top but many people are pretty desperate. I also think it sounds safer and less drastic then liposuction and thats been used for decades.

I agree that it is much less drastic than surgery...of course I'm not a big fan of those methods either since the only sustainable approach is to eat right and exercise even if someone does have medical condition.  

I think ultimately it's personal choice.  I actually gained some weight before our wedding (moving to a new town to a new job then getting married a month later was probably not such a great idea) and didn't flip out over it; still fit in the dress but I also didn't buy a dress that was too small.  If I have a special event coming up that I want to look good for I know that I'll have to work really hard at least 3 months out if there is something I want to fix...we are actually coming up on our 5 year anniversary and I was planning on being as fit as when we first met and it's still looking possible despite setbacks and I'll be happy with just dropping one size instead of 2 or 3.  I think more women should work on being okay with how they look now...took me a while to get in that mindset and it's hard to keep it up but it's a lot healthier approach than trying to be a certain size overnight.

Velma

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 21, 2012, 04:06:42 AM

Because I was responding to the article which focused on the dumb brides undergoing this treatment to loose a few pounds before their wedding. Exercise and eat right.

Added: Also this treatment wouldn't appear to work for people who need to lose a lot of weight. So yes, the brides are lazy and stupid, in my opinion. People who weren't lazy would diet and exercise to fit into their dress.
What amazes me is how many women buy a dress that is too small and then at virtually the last minute decide that NOW is the time to lose that 10 or 15 pounds so that they can fit into it.  Of course they are going to wind up resorting to idiotic stuff like this - they have convinced themselves that if they don't fit into THAT dress, their wedding day is going to be a disaster.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Crocoduck

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 21, 2012, 04:06:42 AM

Yeah narrow minded and hateful.

Narrow minded because your judging people after reading one article. and Hateful because calling people you don't know stupid is hateful.
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Siz

Quote from: Crocoduck on April 21, 2012, 04:51:06 AM
Yeah narrow minded and hateful.

Narrow minded because your judging people after reading one article. and Hateful because calling people you don't know stupid is hateful.

It's sad that people are made to feel that fat is bad in western society today and that only skinny beauties hold any value. But it is also sad that some lazy and stupid people use that sentiment as a vindication of their self-destructive eating habits - to the detriment of tax payers who must pay for their healthcare.

So, on the one hand we have the liberal crybabies calling for a change in attitudes whereby fat people are not considered second class citizens and on the other we have an obesity crisis requiring some direct action.

Yes, I know some people just can't help being fat -  its in the genes, have an over active thyroid, are depressed, can't afford healthy food etc...etc...etc... But let's get real - most people are fat because they eat too much - however healthy the actual food is. It's a simple equation: Calories in > calories out. Some people find this harder than others to control, but that's life. Let's not allow those unwilling to sacrifice their gluttonous intake of extraneous food to tell us that its not their fault while at the same time jamming up the healthcare system for people who are able to control their desire to overeat. I'm sure a lot of this comes down to education - a generation of unhealthy eaters have bred unhealthy eaters so that some families simply haven't the tools to cook or eat healthily. But this is exactly the reason we cannot pussy-foot around the issue. I see no benefit in trying to de-stigmatise the fat condition. In fact to help us in tackling this we really need to confront the proponents with pragmatic candour.

If some people want to try this method to lose some weight then be my guest. But is it a cure for overeating? No!  The fact that there's a market for this (and many other outrageous, unhealthy, dangerous and costly endeavours) shows us that people are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to lose weight rather than simply not eating so much. I'd call that lazy and stupid.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Please note there are a number of members who do or have suffered from eating disorders of different types. Making personalised observations about the position/attitude of non-members could well be unintentionally offensive/hurtful/upsetting to some of our own members. Please take care in the way comments are phrased and recognise that generalisations are generally not helpful.

Thank you
Tank