News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Constitutional change in Norway

Started by Guardian85, April 12, 2012, 06:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

The King of Norway presided over his last national Church Council today. As of May, the King will no longer be the leader of the Church of Norway, which is a big step in the direction of secularizing the norwegian government.
While the King up until now has had the figurehead of the church, this is changing.

QuoteDenne våren er det ventet at Stortinget vedtar endringer i Grunnloven som gjør at Kongen ikke lenger er Den norske kirkes øverste leder. Relasjonen mellom stat og kirke endres.
QuoteThis spring it is expected that Parliament vil ratify changes to the Constitution that will make the King no longer the leader of The Church of Norway. The relation between state and church is changing.
http://www.kirken.no/?event=ShowNews&famId=253545

While this will not mean much in the day to day of norwegians, it is an important symbolic act.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

I'm still boggled that Norway has a king. LOL!!

This is good news though, yes? :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Like! Maybe eventually we will have an atheist king too.  :D

I doubt the current crown prince is atheist, although he doesn't seem actively religious, but maybe his kids..?  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Asmodean

His Majesty is not the one making laws, but he probably didn't have too much against this one.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

In a constitutional monarchy the parliament writes and votes on the law.

And this is a good thing. For me at least. The only problem I have had with His Majesty is that he doubles as a religious leader.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Yes. Separation of church and king first, separation of church and state later.  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 12, 2012, 10:22:03 PM

You still have a Queen you know.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ali

Quote from: Guardian85 on April 12, 2012, 10:44:35 PM
In a constitutional monarchy the parliament writes and votes on the law.

And this is a good thing. For me at least. The only problem I have had with His Majesty is that he doubles as a religious leader.

So what does the King do?  (Honest question.  We don't have royalty, so I'm never sure exactly what they do if they don't actually make up the laws.   Are they like a perma-President? Also, can a King break the law, or would he get in trouble like anyone else?)

Ali

Quote from: Tank on April 12, 2012, 11:10:54 PM

???  I know you know that SD is an American, so I can only conclude that you do not accept that the US is no longer under the rule of Her Majesty.  *takes out a glove and slaps Tank across the face with it* 

Tank

Quote from: The Ali on April 12, 2012, 11:19:40 PM

???  I know you know that SD is an American, so I can only conclude that you do not accept that the US is no longer under the rule of Her Majesty.  *takes out a glove and slaps Tank across the face with it* 

I knew somebody would bite  :D

Asmodean

Quote from: The Ali on April 12, 2012, 11:17:58 PM
So what does the King do?  (Honest question.  We don't have royalty, so I'm never sure exactly what they do if they don't actually make up the laws.   Are they like a perma-President? Also, can a King break the law, or would he get in trouble like anyone else?)
He is the head of state, he has a limited right of veto and a few more or less cosmethic functions. I think he has a limited immunity when it comes to law, but not sure if that really is the case and, if so, how far that immunity goes.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on April 12, 2012, 11:21:33 PM

Hahaha, Tank's just feeling secure because there are so many of us Common-wealthers around. :P
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 12, 2012, 11:50:23 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 12, 2012, 11:21:33 PM

Hahaha, Tank's just feeling secure because there are so many of us Common-wealthers around. :P

Buhahaha.
Exactly as planned.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.