News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Thank you Eleanor Clift...

Started by Jeff Stryker, April 11, 2012, 05:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Stryker

...from last Sunday's McLaughlin Group for suggesting the Happy Atheist Forum. I regularly follow The Thinking Atheist and am glad to have another source to read.

Hello community,
Jeff in Northern Virginia

BonaireBound

Same here! Many thanks to Eleanor. My daughter and I often dispair of the lack of intelligent folks to converse with. Thanks be to science for the internet! We sure tried to go the Reason Rally but could not get there. Hope to make a lot of new friends here. We are in southeast PA.

Ali

Hi Jeff, nice to meet you!

I think we should bake Ms. Clift a cake for sending all of these new people our way!

Buddy

Yes! A new influx of people.  ;D

Welcome to the forum!  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

Welcome to HAF! I'm so glad to see all the new folks signing up because of one program!  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

Hi Jeff

We're getting a whole bunch of new people thanks to that program.

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Here's a link: http://www.mclaughlin.com/bb.htm?i=3353

I think there's a false assumption that if you go to church and you profess a religion that somehow you get a pass when it comes to morals and ethics, when, in fact, you can go to a website called HappyAtheistForum.com and they are saying that atheists need to change their image. And they are seen as sort of this gloomy bunch, when, in fact, they believe you should build a hospital instead of a church and you should help people in the here and now as opposed to praying to some hereafter.

-Eleanor Clift

AWESOME.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Buddy

Does this make me a hipster if I say I found this forum before it was featured?  :D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on April 11, 2012, 05:57:17 PM
Here's a link: http://www.mclaughlin.com/bb.htm?i=3353

I think there's a false assumption that if you go to church and you profess a religion that somehow you get a pass when it comes to morals and ethics, when, in fact, you can go to a website called HappyAtheistForum.com and they are saying that atheists need to change their image. And they are seen as sort of this gloomy bunch, when, in fact, they believe you should build a hospital instead of a church and you should help people in the here and now as opposed to praying to some hereafter.

-Eleanor Clift

AWESOME.
Very!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ali

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 11, 2012, 05:59:37 PM
Does this make me a hipster if I say I found this forum before it was featured?  :D

Hahahaha.  I found this forum before it even existed.   :P

Oh wait.

Buddy

Quote from: Ali on April 11, 2012, 08:24:28 PM

Oh wait.

I think we should save that one for Whitney.

Ali

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 11, 2012, 08:27:20 PM
Quote from: Ali on April 11, 2012, 08:24:28 PM

Oh wait.

I think we should save that one for Whitney.

That's true.  I dub Whitney Queen HAF Hipster.  Off to go knit her an Arcade Fire sweater she can wear to the Spam museum...

McQ

Wow! This is amazing. I am so intrigued by the shout out to HAF and the subsequent influx of new members. I have to throw my thanks in as well. Wish I knew who she is, who her husband was, and how I could see that broadcast.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Amicale

Quote from: McQ on April 11, 2012, 08:58:42 PM
Wow! This is amazing. I am so intrigued by the shout out to HAF and the subsequent influx of new members. I have to throw my thanks in as well. Wish I knew who she is, who her husband was, and how I could see that broadcast.

Here you go!

Transcript of the show: http://www.mclaughlin.com/transcript.htm?id=892

Youtube link for the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyo7AJUlJjU

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on April 11, 2012, 09:27:31 PM
Quote from: McQ on April 11, 2012, 08:58:42 PM

Here you go!

Transcript of the show: http://www.mclaughlin.com/transcript.htm?id=892

Youtube link for the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyo7AJUlJjU
Gold star material!!!