News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Yet another (and peculiar) example of evolution

Started by Guardian85, April 08, 2012, 10:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Scientists have discovered a bacteria that has evolved the ability to survive in consentrated hairspray.
http://www.science20.com/news_articles/microbacterium_hatanonis_bacteria_contaminate_hairspray

QuoteScientists in Japan have discovered a new species of bacteria, Microbacterium hatanonis, that can live in hairspray, according to the results of a study published in the March issue of the International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology.

One more weird nail in the creationist coffin.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Interesting bit info. The article dates back to March 2008 but it's quoted quite a few times since them.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Oh wow!!
I'll think twice before using hair spray. I use  styling wax. xD

This is really interesting though.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Out of all the places that they could evolve to live in...well hair spray exists I guess it was a matter of time before some bug came along and started being able to live in it.

Cosmetic extremophile? ;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 09, 2012, 06:17:28 AM
Out of all the places that they could evolve to live in...well hair spray exists I guess it was a matter of time before some bug came along and started being able to live in it.

The next bug will be styling wax!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on April 09, 2012, 08:57:28 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 09, 2012, 06:17:28 AM

The next bug will be styling wax!

Noooo
Not my gatsby. :(
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

I shudder to think of all the bacteria alive and well in our toothbrushes, hairbrushes, showers, you name it...

...it's best not to think about it.  :D

Still, cool that one decided to want to live enough to bother living in hairspray.  ;) Must have wanted a stint on America's Next Top Model...

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Amicale on April 09, 2012, 09:22:30 PM
I shudder to think of all the bacteria alive and well in our toothbrushes, hairbrushes, showers, you name it...

Still, cool that one decided to want to live enough to bother living in hairspray.  ;) Must have wanted a stint on America's Next Top Model...

After I watched some TV show run a test on what happens to toothbrushes that are left in the toilet when someone flushes (without closing the lid)...I decided it was best to not leave mine in the toilet. Ever.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Stevil

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 09, 2012, 10:44:20 PM
After I watched some TV show run a test on what happens to toothbrushes that are left in the toilet when someone flushes (without closing the lid)...I decided it was best to not leave mine in the toilet. Ever.
Sometimes ignorance is desirable.
I watched a show explaining with video footage what happens when a person on a train/bus sneezes. Now I get an OMG moment every time someone sneezes.

Ihateyoumike

I would think that, regardless of whether the lid was open or closed, a toothbrush would just flush with everything else if left in the toilet. Though it would probably cause it to be clogged. ;)
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Jimmy

The scientists were SHOCKED to discover that one of the bacteria LOVED to sport its inner emo!!

For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Tank

Mythbusters did an excellent programme of germs spread in 'clean' toilets and it was disgusting what got where  :-\

chic

I look at the site and "discovered" something in the name of the bacteria: Microbacterium hatanonis!  If we parse the second word something becomes clear: "hat-anon-is" 

You get it in hairspray when you don't wear your hat - The hat is anon [unknown, like anonymous]  So wear your hat and fear ye not!

markmcdaniel

Interesting, but hardly surprising. Evolution seems to git it's pesky hands into every thing.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

En_Route

Quote from: Guardian85 on April 08, 2012, 10:27:04 PM
Scientists have discovered a bacteria that has evolved the ability to survive in consentrated hairspray.
http://www.science20.com/news_articles/microbacterium_hatanonis_bacteria_contaminate_hairspray

QuoteScientists in Japan have discovered a new species of bacteria, Microbacterium hatanonis, that can live in hairspray, according to the results of a study published in the March issue of the International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology.

One more weird nail in the creationist coffin.

Hardly. Evolution needs no further corroboration.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).