News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Feathered T-Rex Relative

Started by Amicale, April 05, 2012, 01:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17612354

QuoteYutyrannus lived long before T. rex, in the early Cretaceous Period

A newly described relative of Tyrannosaurus rex is the largest known feathered animal - living or extinct.

The feathered meat-eating dinosaur lived about 125 million years ago and is estimated to have weighed a whopping 1,400kg as an adult.

The new species, known as Yutyrannus, has been identified from three fossils found in north-eastern China..... rest at the link

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

Well there goes Jurassic Parks credibility  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

joeactor

Interesting.

I wonder what purpose the feathers served?

Also, I wonder how the wings are with BBQ sauce...

Tank

Quote from: joeactor on April 05, 2012, 05:39:54 PM
Interesting.

Apart from flight feathers insulate and often form part of a species sexual dimorphism. It has been theorised that dinosaurs were warm blooded so insulation would be a good thing. Ostriches can't fly, are warm blooded and highly sexually dimorphic.   
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

joeactor

Quote from: Tank on April 05, 2012, 06:36:54 PM
Interesting.

Apart from flight feathers insulate and often form part of a species sexual dimorphism. It has been theorised that dinosaurs were warm blooded so insulation would be a good thing. Ostriches can't fly, are warm blooded and highly sexually dimorphic.   

makes sense... didn't realize ostriches were warm-blooded.  I assume emu's are also...

Tank

Quote from: joeactor on April 05, 2012, 06:51:18 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 05, 2012, 06:36:54 PM
Interesting.

makes sense... didn't realize ostriches were warm-blooded.  I assume emu's are also...

Birds are thought to have descended from dinosaurs and are all warm blooded, so yes.

Crow

Quote from: Tank on April 05, 2012, 06:52:58 PM
Birds are thought to have descended from dinosaurs and are all warm blooded, so yes.

Yup, Building a dinosaur from a chicken is one of my favorite TED talks about the subject.
Retired member.