News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

US Election 2008

Started by saturnine, December 11, 2007, 07:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saturnine

I was going to make this a poll, but as of now I think too much is undecided. We don't know if Michael Bloomberg is going to run, and Al Gore and Ralph Nader might still take a stab at it.

I just wanted to see who we like and why.

My self I like Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich. Total opposites I know, neither with a realistic chance. I admire Ron Paul as has integrity like no other politician. He votes and speaks his mind, is critical of US foreign policies, advocates freedom, and wouldn't mix in any religious beliefs with his governing.

Kucinich on the other hand appeals to me as a genuine democrat. he is also transparent, tells things the way they are, would bring standardized health care to the US. But some of his speeches make him look like a huge hippie. I don't think he would make a bad president at all. Ron Paul on the other hand might be a little too extreme concerning some of his proposals like exiting the UN, etc.

To me most of the front runners (Clinton, Obama, Edwards, Guiliani, etc.) are all talking heads for the lobby groups they're going to represent. McCain might be a little better. Even if he does have common sense, he's still acting like a neocon with sense.

Will

I've donated to Kuchinich, but I can't really bring myself to support Paul. Besides some of his supporters being obnoxious, I personally believe that he's too free market for the good of the country. We're in the middle of the greatest shift towards corporatization of everything in history, and the cure for corporatization isn't free market at all because they've already got what they want from government. What we need is simply to remove corporate influence from government which means taking some power from the market and getting it back into government. It's not socialization per say, but it's not free market, I can tell you that.

So far as Kucinich, he had me as soon as he proposed an office of peace as a federal organization to mirror our war and intelligence organization and to stickily represent the interest of peace. Some call it naive, but I see it as brilliant. Not only that, but he is at the forefront of impeachment for the president and vice president. I wish Paul would back him on that.

Obama isn't bad, but I still get the feeling that he's not being honest, not like Paul and Kucinich. And sometimes Dodd, but I suspect he'd make a better grampa than president, like Reagan.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

rlrose328

I don't know enough, regardless how much I've read... and I've tried to read everything I've come across.  I still get all twirly and floopy just thinking about the candidates and all their various issues.

No Hillary... and Obama taking Oprah out with him was a MAJOR strike against him in my book.  I don't want Paul... I don't agree with libertarian views... I agree that the free market system would be just as bad as what we have now, just different.

What I've read about Kucinich is interesting...

Ugh... head hurts.  :-)
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

donkeyhoty

I don't vote because I refuse to play with a stacked deck.

Although I did hear John McCain say something lucid and cogent the other night.  He was talking about global warming and said something like, "If we start changing how we live now and it turns out we were wrong about global warming, So what?  We leave our children with a better world.  If we don't start changing now, and it turns out global warming predictions are correct, we're screwed."  That's not exactly what he said, and he wasn't talking only about global warming, but also about reducing our oil consumption.  That was the first time in a while that after hearing a politician speak I didn't want to jump off a roof or throw the politician off a roof.

I still wouldn't vote for him because I think he's a few bricks shy of a full load, and I don't really agree with his other "policies".  But, if more of these assholes would say something like he did, I might not fear for our future.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

saturnine

I was thinking that people would talk about religion and politics. People like Buchannan and Pat Robertson running bring up this subject. Luckily there is little talk of then in this race so far. Mitt Romney is the guy that seems a little 'scary' to me in this campaign. Whether intentional or not, I think he may be able to play off peoples' 'fear' and religious attachments to gain votes. As a strong Christian, his supporters will likely be able to convert people with such arguments pertaining to the 'Christian tradition of America' ending with immigration and issues like this.

Donkeyhoty, I always get a little disappointed and/or angry with people who say that they don't vote. Nothing personal, but if you are disgruntled enough, I would advocate spoiling your ballot, voting for a third party, or something like that. Send some kind of message, not none. When it gets to the point where about half of eligible voters do not vote, this means that whoever gets elected had the support of less than a quarter of the population. Those that don't vote are in a way supporting this by not making any opposition to the decisions of others, those that did vote, heard.

donkeyhoty

I disagree.  But, if there was a third party candidate worth voting for, I'd vote for them.  Alas, there isn't one, nor is there a "none of the above" choice.  Consider me self-disenfranchised until someone comes along worth voting for.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Will

Yes, Romney is a bit of a bigot when it comes to atheists and agnostics, but hey, there's no chance he'll be elected. I figure I'll find him someday and laugh at him for losing and everything will be square.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Bella

Al Gore may run? Lol. I've always thought that he looked like some sort of reptile. I used to think a lizard... but lately... a crocodile. You know, cuz he's bigger and all. :D

I know this is lazy of me, but I like to wait until later when there are fewer candidates to save me from the headaches. I can tell you that I will mostly be voting democrat. I went to a very liberal college and my dad and brothers are more republican than I can stand. We will see about other parties... I never feel like I'm doing anything that significant when I vote (I'm sure I'd feel differently if I wasn't in a democratic area already), but I do it anyways... I feel guilty enough that I do everything in my power to avoid jury duty...

SteveS

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"Consider me self-disenfranchised until someone comes along worth voting for.
Yeah, likewise!

Quote from: "saturnine"if you are disgruntled enough, I would advocate spoiling your ballot, voting for a third party, or something like that. Send some kind of message, not none.
How about a write-in vote for "Dennis Moore"?  He's got a catchy campaign song:

Quote from: "Monty Python"Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore
Galloping through the sward
Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore
And his horse Concorde
He steals from the rich
And gives to the poor
Mr. Moore, Mr. Moore, Mr. Moore.

Eh, on second thought, maybe "Yoda" would be a better vote....

Quote from: "saturnine"I admire Ron Paul as has integrity like no other politician.
I agree with some of what Ron Paul says, but some stuff just makes my hair stand on end.  Here's an example:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul120.html

I'm sure I don't have to explain to the other atheists why this sort of religious mindset in a politician bugs me  :wink:

Tom62

I don't know all these American politicians mentioned in this thread. From the ones I've heard about, I must say that I'd never vote for an inexperienced guy like Obama. I've never like Ophrah, so I apart from being inexperienced Obama has a taste as well :lol:. I admire Hillary Clinton, but doesn't your country have more qualified people than only the Bush and Clinton clan?
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

SteveS

Quote from: "Tom62"I admire Hillary Clinton, but doesn't your country have more qualified people than only the Bush and Clinton clan?
Funny to think about, isn't it?  If Hillary Clinton wins this election, then there will be at least 24 years in a row (4 = Bush Sr., 8 = W. Clinton, 8 = Bush Jr., 4 = H. Clinton) of American presidents from two families!  If she wins and gets re-elected to a second term, 28 years.

Steve Reason

Quote from: "SteveS"
Quote from: "Tom62"I admire Hillary Clinton, but doesn't your country have more qualified people than only the Bush and Clinton clan?
Funny to think about, isn't it?  If Hillary Clinton wins this election, then there will be at least 24 years in a row (4 = Bush Sr., 8 = W. Clinton, 8 = Bush Jr., 4 = H. Clinton) of American presidents from two families!  If she wins and gets re-elected to a second term, 28 years.

Oh god, please no. It would be different if I thought she was competent. If I vote, I might consider Richardson, Obama, or Rudy. Paul just seems flaky as hell. But I tend to agree with donkeyhoty--what's so great about voting for the lesser evil?
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

ryanvc76

In '04 I made sure to send off my absentee ballot just to make sure I voted AGAINST Bush.  I guess it's still too soon for me to decide on anyone right now.  If only Richard Dawkins were eligible.
---=---=---=---=---
http://www.vancleave.de
---=---=---=---
"[The Bible] has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies." - Mark Twain

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

---=---

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "Tom62"doesn't your country have more qualified people than only the Bush and Clinton clan
Hell, I'd be surprised if we have any one qualified(that would be elected).

MommaSquid

Being qualified and having the ability to get elected are two totally different things.

Ron Paul for President!