News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Germany seeking to ban Scientology

Started by jrosebud, December 10, 2007, 09:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrosebud

I'm not a big fan of censorship or philosophical/religious restriction, but I'm not too sad to see that Germany may be telling Scientology to take a hike.  IMO, it's a pyramid scheme and cultish organization that murders and blackmails in order to expand it's money-making empire.

Your thoughts?
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

Will

Bwahahahaha....

Yeah, scientology really isn't even a religion.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

pjkeeley

This would not be a good thing regardless of how shitty Scientology is. If there are illegal activities going on within German Scientology then they should be investigated and prosecuted. To ban an organisation however is to treat beliefs as thought crimes. Very Orwellian. Germany has surely experienced enough tyranny for one century. Gah! This type of proposal always makes me mad.

Will

Quote from: "pjkeeley"This would not be a good thing regardless of how shitty Scientology is. If there are illegal activities going on within German Scientology then they should be investigated and prosecuted. To ban an organisation however is to treat beliefs as thought crimes. Very Orwellian. Germany has surely experienced enough tyranny for one century. Gah! This type of proposal always makes me mad.
And if the whole organization is illegal? I mean it really is a scam. All of it.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

jrosebud

Scientology isn't recognized as a religion in Germany; it's a commercial enterprise hiding behind the cloak of religion.

As I understand it, they would ban the business portion of the organization rather than attempt to police the thoughts of the German citizens.
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise

rlrose328

I totally agree... Do some searches online about lawsuits and children in Scientology.  It's shocking.  And yet Mr. Cruise, Mr. Travolta and the other celebrities will go to great lengths to deny those things are happening.  Of COURSE they're not happening to THEM.  Duh.  :roll:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

0dan1

I'm hoping Germany are not banning it because they disagree with the belief.

It must be because of valid economical reasons, or something in their laws around business.

Although they need to be careful WHAT exactly they define as 'Scientology' and what about it they ban...

but yeah... scientology is fucking stupid. worst. religion. evar.

Will

Quote from: "0dan1"I'm hoping Germany are not banning it because they disagree with the belief.
Germany hasn't been quiet about their reasoning: it's a scam. It has nothing to do with Xenu or volcano souls and has everything to do with people losing money to a scam.

SteveS

I agree with Willravel on this one.  I think Scientology is a thinly veiled fraudulent enterprise.  I also believe this has a lot to do with the attitude of the German government and their position here.  They don't seem to be banning other religions.....

rlrose328

Count me a third in line on the scam thing... idiots.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

tacoma_kyle

You all coulda just watched the Southpark on it! lol. Well he locks himself in the closet haha.

But as far as banning it, really I don't think they should, big scam or not. But doesnt bother me if they do, by any means. Heck Germany is probably doing it because they cant collect taxes or somethin off of them lol. It is widely enough known that scientology has a rep for 'scamming' (interpret as you will), at least they aren't tryin to get it thrown in the gov like all these Christians are. Or at least as far as I know...
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

jrosebud

Quote from: "tacoma_kyle"It is widely enough known that scientology has a rep for 'scamming' (interpret as you will), at least they aren't tryin to get it thrown in the gov like all these Christians are. Or at least as far as I know...

Actually, they do.  They blackmail and coerce their way into government positions.
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise

tacoma_kyle

Oh ok. lol So its more like mafia?
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Will

Mafia + Xenu = Scientological good times

Gibson

Enjoying this whole topic.  Funny stuff.  Although it was probably unintentional, I thought the spelling of L. Ron Hubbard as "Elron" was good and insulting.  

I seem to remember that Hubbard created scientology for the tax breaks.  And then he mysteriously died, but then started publishing again.  Yeah.... uh, his kids found more books hidden in his attic.  Hm, something like that.

It's downright pathetic that ANYONE can believe this crap.  Xenu?  WTF?  Although, as Julia Sweeney said in "Letting Go of God,"  (paraphrased) - if people came to the door and started telling me about the Holy Spirit impregnating a young teenager, but she was still a virgin, and then her baby was the son of God... that's pretty weird too, but we're used to that story.
Anyone who can worship a trinity and insist that his religion is a monotheism can believe anything ... just give him time to rationalize it.
-- Robert A Heinlein, from Job: A Comedy of Justice