News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Still taking some part in religious traditions - how many of us?

Started by Amicale, April 01, 2012, 05:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

I was raised Catholic. Despite not being Catholic at all anymore, the culture of Catholicism still runs in my family. In the back of my head, I'm always aware of when Lent and Advent begin. I buy an advent calendar for my kiddo (the one where you open the little windows and there's a treat inside each day until Christmas) and sometimes, just for fun or as a personal goal, I give up something for Lent still -- not for the religion at all, but just for the tradition. On Shrove tuesday, I often make pancakes. It's just fun, and just another tradition. Some fridays, I like to eat fish, because that's just how I was raised, mostly by my grandparents. I admit I still enjoy some religious music, especially the old hymns, or Bach's Mass, or Handel's Messiah. Again, it's just beautiful music to me. So, yeah. 'Culture/tradition', but not religion.

I personally think it's valuable, to hold onto a few harmless traditions here and there. I enjoy them, they're familiar to me, I see nothing wrong with them.

How about you folks? Are there any traditions you still kind of hang onto, just for the sake of tradition?  :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Jimmy

former Catholic here, I actually tried to be a cultural Catholic, but couldn't stand the over-exposure to Catholic culture.....I like some of the music, LOVE the artwork, and appreciate their view of beauty. BUT I was fortunate in a way, although I was baptized, first communion, my family was not AT ALL concerned with going to church so it was relatively easy to give up. I aslo couldn't be Catholic anymore because I cannot believe the core tenets of the faith. Virgin Birth? Yeah right! Resurrection? Impossible!! *sigh* However, for the sake of tradition, and for my family's sake, I had our first child baptized and the second one will be in a couple of months, then "thy will be DONE"
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

MariaEvri

I used to go to church on easter for resurrection with my parents. Just for half an hour for midnight First time I didnt go when my mother died, I just wasnt in the mood. From then on, I stopped that.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

ThinkAnarchy

I'm an ex-Catholic as well, but I don't keep up with any of the traditions. I go and visit my family for Christmas and Easter, but that is about it.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

xSilverPhinx

I was never religious, and neither was my immediate family, but we borrowed religious traditions such as Christmas and Easter and gave them our own twist, just as Christianity did when they borrowed those from other older traditions. But nowadays we don't really celebrate even much of a secular Christmas or Easter anymore. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Whitney

I still like trees, lights and gift giving at christmas.  I also like thanksgiving...and well basically any other holiday where almost everyone has off work and you get together to have a party.  I really don't care if the origins of the holiday are religious since almost every holiday (from "holy day") has religious roots...even (what seems to be) the atheist favorite; halloween.

Jimmy

Yes, almost forgot... Thanks everyone!! :) We celebrate religious holidays in a secular fashion.
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Whitney on April 02, 2012, 02:09:32 AM
I still like trees, lights and gift giving at christmas.  I also like thanksgiving...and well basically any other holiday where almost everyone has off work and you get together to have a party.  I really don't care if the origins of the holiday are religious since almost every holiday (from "holy day") has religious roots...even (what seems to be) the atheist favorite; halloween.

I love the gift giving, present wrapping, lights and greeting cards of Xmas as well tho I'm not really sure if that falls under religious tradition, since I leave the religious part out.  I've never considered Thanksgiving a Xtian holiday, it's always seemed to me a national holiday.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sweetdeath

I don't do anything... :(

When was thanksgiving religious?
I dont celebrate it out of respect to the native people of this country.
Thanks for the lies and slaughter of our people? No, thank you.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

We don't do religious holidays at our house, but I think we more than make up for it by celebrating the religious holidays at our families' houses.  Hubby's family is Jewish, so we do most of the Jewish holidays with them (there are lots!) and my family is Christian so we do Christmas and Easter with them as well.  In our house, we also celebrate Solstice, Thanksgiving, and Halloween, which may have religious roots but are far enough removed from them that it doesn't feel weird to me.  So yeah, we are pretty much chock-a-block with holidays around here.  I don't care; I think one of the benefits of not following a dogmatic belief system is not having to be dogmatic.  :)

AnimatedDirt

Asmodean

Hmm... Let's see... I do not really do christmas when alone, I have no idea what easter is all about, except there was something about eggs, so I suppose I shall have an omelette one of these days. Beyond that..? Nothing.

To rephrase, I may "observe" some silly tradition while with family or close friends, but for and by myself..? Screw 'em all.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

My friends call Easter "zombie jesus day" so I guess it has something to do with ressurection.  :/
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

philosoraptor

I used to attend Christmas mass every year with my husband's great aunt, until she died.  It meant a lot to her, and from an athropological stand point, I found the ceremonies and rituals interesting.  My husband was raised in a mostly non-practicing Catholic family, but he still loves Christmas traditions, like the tree and traditional Christmas meals, so I try to indulge those things since I think they're relatively harmless.  He wasn't so keen when I suggested a Festivus pole.  :D

On the rare occasions I've gone to graveyards to visit the resting places of family members, I've been known to sit by the grave and talk to them as if they are present.  I know they aren't, and I know they can't hear me, but I still find it comforting to talk to their bones as if they can.

Some religious symbols and imagery are aesthetically pleasing-I have crosses and ankhs, etc.. that I hang up, more because I like looking at them than anything else.

ETA: I still dress up for Halloween and make turkey on Thanksgiving, so I suppose I acknowledge most holidays in some kind of secular fashion.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Siz

I pretty much follow Amicales thoughts as in her OP.

The thing is, in the UK anyway, our entire cultural heritage is interwoven with a Christian inspired calendar of events. If we remove all that goes with Christianity we are left with a pretty sterile cultural calendar. So I happily celebrate the traditional festivals because its fun and because I enjoy honouring my heritage. I'm not gonna throw the proverbial baby out with the dishwasher when I shun religion.

I've mentioned before in a similar topic that I have a lovely Indian couple as neighbours who are loosely Hindu. Along with their own, they often play along with traditional Christian festivals with gusto. When I asked them once 'why?', they say 'because its fun!'. And why the hell not?!  They are wonderfully inclusive when it comes to their Hindu festivals too - we are always invited over and enjoy joining them in celebrating their traditions, just as they do ours. It's not about god, its about giving our own little lives a bit of fun and sparkle.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!