News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

How Much Sleep do YOU need?

Started by Jimmy, March 26, 2012, 02:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy

I absolutely LOVE sleep  :-* and truely value its presence in my life. However, I hardly EVER get enough. Its probably from working irregular hours and having a family and all that, I'm sure, and I can only dream of the day when I can sleep as long as I want every night, like on Saturdays, before I started my first job in high school.  YEAH, LIKE THAT WILL EVER HAPPEN AGAIN. Now I can go with maybe six hours a night for only a few days, after that it is ALL DOWN HILL.  Seven hours seems to be my average, but to really feel great, I could really go for eight or nine on a regular basis. How about YOU?

What's the average number of hours you sleep?

How many do you think you should be getting?

Anyone out there feel great with less than six per night (If so, you are my hero)
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Amicale

Quote from: Jimmy on March 26, 2012, 02:55:45 AM
I absolutely LOVE sleep  :-* and truely value its presence in my life. However, I hardly EVER get enough. Its probably from working irregular hours and having a family and all that, I'm sure, and I can only dream of the day when I can sleep as long as I want every night, like on Saturdays, before I started my first job in high school.  YEAH, LIKE THAT WILL EVER HAPPEN AGAIN. Now I can go with maybe six hours a night for only a few days, after that it is ALL DOWN HILL.  Seven hours seems to be my average, but to really feel great, I could really go for eight or nine on a regular basis. How about YOU?

Anyone out there feel great with less than six per night (If so, you are my hero)

Prettymuch same answer as you! I keep odd hours working with people in different time zones, and I'm a parent, so I never sleep as much as I want. I can just barely function on 5 or so hours of sleep, but I never feel great. If I get 6 or 7 hours, I feel more or less human and not too bad... but ideally, if I could sleep 8 or 9 hours, I'd LOVE that. As it is, what I don't get in sleep I make up for in caffeine.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Firebird

Seven during the week, more on the weekends. Unless I'm going through one of my occasional bouts of insomnia, at which point it may be 0-4, and I'm a zombie :(
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

skwurll

Lately? 3-4 hours a night. I've been having sleep problems.
8-9 hours a night, but that's easier said than done.

Asmodean

Usually, i sleep five to seven hours when I sleep well and 2x2 or 2x2.5 hours when I sleep like me.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

I need a solid 8 hours to feel rested. I get tetchy on much less and lack energy if I get too much more.

My wife has the most appalling sleep patterns and has done since she was a kid. Her parents where of the 'follow routine' school and she was of the 'fuck you' mentality. Thus bed time became a battle and she would try to stay awake as long as she could. Even now she will fall asleep on the couch and when she wakes up deny she had fallen asleep. She's the only person I know who snores while awake  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on March 26, 2012, 08:08:30 AM
I need a solid 8 hours to feel rested. I get tetchy on much less and lack energy if I get too much more.

Same, I get grumpy if I have any less than 8 hours. I think my "perfect" number of hours would be 9.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

hismikeness

I tend to get 6.5-7 hours about average. If I get to bed late where hitting that amount becomes impossible, I stay awake long enough to get 5 hours. I don't do well when I am startled awake from the deepest of sleep, and my sleep cycles seem to be about every ninety minutes.

I don't nap and don't sleep that much extra on the weekends. I get up at 4am for work, so sleeping in is 6am for me.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

The Magic Pudding

Piratenerforsej

I can only sleep for 8 hours, then my head says: "WAKE UP!!!!" and I can't sleep more... My boyfriend can sleep like 12 hours in a row.

At weekdays I sleep 6-7 hours per night, so I'm pretty tired when I go to school.

MariaEvri

I sleep about 7 hours (go to sleep sometime between 23:30 and midnight and wake up at 6 a) never feel tired during the day although I wouldn't say no to a couple more hours of sleep!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Siz

Ditto - though I NEVER get to have anything over 8 hours and I'd probably regret the wasted time if I did. If there were more hours in the day, I'd fill them with more stuff rather than sleep.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali

Quote from: Piratenerforsej on March 26, 2012, 03:10:50 PM
My boyfriend can sleep like 12 hours in a row.

I could too, if T, having a job, et cetera, would let me.  I love to sleep.  I think about sleeping like some people think about rich desserts. 

Most nights I get about 8.5 hours of sleep.  LOL  I didn't even realize it was that much until I sat down and counted it up.  On the weekends I also like to take an afternoon nap whenever possible.  Yum. 

Velma

On the days I work, I function fine on six or seven hours.  On my days off I've been known to sleep for 10 hours, but usually feel a bit groggy for the rest of the day.  Actually, anything over eight or so hours leaves me feeling that way.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

philosoraptor

Quote from: Tank on March 26, 2012, 08:08:30 AM

My wife has the most appalling sleep patterns and has done since she was a kid. Her parents where of the 'follow routine' school and she was of the 'fuck you' mentality. Thus bed time became a battle and she would try to stay awake as long as she could. Even now she will fall asleep on the couch and when she wakes up deny she had fallen asleep. She's the only person I know who snores while awake  :D

Sounds like my husband!  I'll see him nodding off on the couch and suggest he should go to bed.  He'll deny being tired.  When he starts to snore, that's when I throw things at him and make him go to bed.  He's seemingly incapable of going to bed earlier than 1-2 in the morning, but it's usually closer to 3-4 in the morning.

I NEED at least 6 hours a night to not be miserable, but 9 is my preference when I can get it.  I can function (kind of) on small amounts of sleep, but i don't like doing it.  In some cases, it's easier for me to pull an all nighter than it is to nap for 2 or 3 hours and then have to get up.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse