News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Hi, I'm Gary and I am a Happy Atheist!

Started by WarrenPeace, March 23, 2012, 02:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WarrenPeace

There, I've outed myself.   :)

I heard a story on NPR this morning in which they mentioned a recent poll.  It seems that most respondents thought it more likely for an atheist to commit theft than a convicted rapist.  Living in the heart of the bible belt I know that is true.  I know that, if my neighbors, for whom I have dog sat, babysat, enjoyed parties with, etc,  knew I was atheist they might not invite me back into their homes.  And I wondered why that is.  It's because of people like me, hiding in the open, with a smile my face, doing good deeds and trying to make life more pleasant for myself and for all those I encounter.  "Why, that Gary guy is so nice... he MUST be a christian"... well I AM a nice guy and I AM NOT a christian.  There I have owned it.   ;D

I recognize that if reason is to win out over superstition that people like me have to acknowledge who we are.  And I can only start with me.

I was raised in NC and currently live in GA.  I grew up, like most others in the region, going to sunday school and enjoying the stories.  But I thought for myself and came to my own conclusions.  I became a secular humanist before I knew there was such a thing, I just thought I was odd (well that may still be the case, but not for that reason :) ).  I realized that the sunday school stories were a fun mythology to teach the concept of right and wrong.  But later I figured out that once you have accepted those myths as stone-carved fact that it leads to acceptance of someone else dictating your thoughts to you. As Terry Pratchett wrote in "Hogfather": "You have to believe the little lies before you can accept the big ones".

I believe that we have certain "rules" because it's in our nature as social animals.   I have always believed in doing the right thing not out of fear of punishment or anticipation of a reward but simply because it's the right thing to do.   I firmly believe that we each have to come to our own conclusions, but it helps if we think for ourselves along the way.  I also believe in the following rules:  Be kind, be generous, be positive, be productive, be happy.  I am a happy atheist.

Tank

Well hello Gary

I have added you to my signature, that's pretty good for a first post!

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Retired member.

Jimmy

Hey Gary!! Welcome!! I'm new here too!!! :)
Atheists are just like everyone else and come in all shapes and sizes, and can be HAPPY and MORAL. Anyone that says otherwise are just filled with POO-POO and KA-KA!!!  :-X Happiness is a way of life, my friend. Do NOT let them get you down!! Besides, actions speak louder than words........
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

You're right, those Christians who want to fight atheism in any way possible first conjure a strawman version of what atheists are and try to fight that. ::) The atheists they believe in don't exist.

As far as 'knowing your enemy goes' (in their point of view) talk about a massive fail.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Amicale

Gary, a warm welcome to you, glad to have you here. Man, a secular humanist AND a Terry Pratchett fan to boot! I like you!  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: WarrenPeace on March 23, 2012, 02:32:21 PM

I heard a story on NPR this morning in which they mentioned a recent poll.  It seems that most respondents thought it more likely for an atheist to commit theft than a convicted rapist. 

Ye, but the slow moving will never prove it.
They won't even know what we stole.

Guardian85

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 23, 2012, 04:45:16 PM
Quote from: WarrenPeace on March 23, 2012, 02:32:21 PM

I heard a story on NPR this morning in which they mentioned a recent poll.  It seems that most respondents thought it more likely for an atheist to commit theft than a convicted rapist. 

Ye, but the slow moving will never prove it.
They won't even know what we stole.

Ain't that the truth...

But really, Welcome to the thing Gary!
Don't mind if there are a few minor dust-ups.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

WarrenPeace

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome.

I hope my first post didn't come across as an angry tirade against Christians.  I have nothing against them,  why some of my best friends are christians.    ;)  I have nothing against anyone of any faith, I am tolerant of all belief systems... no matter how misguided they are.  :)

I do have a *very* Christian friend that I have had some thoughtful discussions with.  We both acknowledge that we aren't going to change each other's minds but enjoy the dialog nonetheless.   I just think I do myself and others like me an injustice by not acknowledging my beliefs when it comes up.  I certainly wouldn't try to 'evangelize' to my neighbors but I will at least own up to what I think is right.  

And, yes Jimmy I agree, I will let me "heathen" actions stand up proudly beside their words any day of the week.  :D

Oh and Tank, I am truly honored to have been added your signature, I think that is a first for me.  :)

Augustus

Quote from: WarrenPeace on March 23, 2012, 04:56:28 PM
Oh and Tank, I am truly honored to have been added your signature, I think that is a first for me.  :)

Made Tank's signature on his first post, now here is a member we can be proud of :D -Applause-

Tank

Quote from: Augustus on March 23, 2012, 06:52:39 PM
Quote from: WarrenPeace on March 23, 2012, 04:56:28 PM

Made Tank's signature on his first post, now here is a member we can be proud of :D -Applause-
:D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

SweetLaura286

I feel like we should say in unison.... HI GARY! I enjoyed your post, and can very much relate to your life experiences as an atheist!

Buddy

Wow, to make Tank's signature is quite the achievement and you made it on your first post! I'm a bit jealous.  ;D Welcome!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Welcome! I am living in GA too.  Good for you being from here and coming out though.  There are others like us down here just to let you know.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins