News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

The Hubble Deep Field Image

Started by Tank, March 13, 2012, 08:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Imagine taking a drinking straw and looking through it at the night sky. Point it somewhere you can't see any stars. This is what they did with Hubble. And what did it see? Thousands of galaxies.

This video goes into a little more detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjF_7ensg
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

I find it amazing that they got their camera to sit absolutely still (no angular momentum in any direction) while sitting in free space.
At least I can use a tripod.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on March 13, 2012, 08:58:55 PM
I find it amazing that they got their camera to sit absolutely still (no angular momentum in any direction) while sitting in free space.
It was also built up over 1,000,000 seconds (11.6 days.) and the camera was in continuous movement all the time as it was in orbit!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Stevil

Quote from: Tank on March 13, 2012, 09:13:41 PM
It was also built up over 1,000,000 seconds (11.6 days.) and the camera was in continuous movement all the time as it was in orbit!
In orbit, well, that's even worse. Incredible.

joeactor

well... *there's* your missing matter!

very cool.  constantly amazed by new discoveries...

KingPhilip

I always see these images and wonder how many other species are out there with their own telescopes, looking at our speck of a galaxy. Probably billions.
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti

Stevil

I like to think of all the different types of fruit or meat that could be added to our menu.

Strange and crazy animals and plant life. It would be so fascinating to see evolution take a different path.
Our own Jurassic period was very different to current times, so it is quite likely there is a variety out there.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on March 13, 2012, 10:47:45 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 13, 2012, 09:13:41 PM
In orbit, well, that's even worse. Incredible.
It's all done with big gyroscopes continuously rotating the telescope. They had to use gyroscopes as they are powered by electricity which can be replenished by the solar panels.

Hubble has a problem that the designers didn't cater for, it shivers. Each time it passes into and out of the Earth's shadow it 'shivers' for a few minutes as it adjusts to the temperature change. These minutes are lost to any observation.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on March 14, 2012, 03:16:20 AM
I like to think of all the different types of fruit or meat that could be added to our menu.

Strange and crazy animals and plant life. It would be so fascinating to see evolution take a different path.
Our own Jurassic period was very different to current times, so it is quite likely there is a variety out there.
It would be interesting to see a planet that had not had any significant catastrophes. If the snowball earth condition and great oxygenation event had not occurred it is conceivable that complex/multi-cellular life would never have come about. For about 3.5 billion years of the Earth's 4.5 billion year existence there was nothing more complex than a Paramecium. Given life kicked off within about 500 million years of the Earth's birth but then took 3,000 million years to go multi-cellular it would appear that life getting going is far easier than it getting complex. 

Stevil

Quote from: Tank on March 14, 2012, 08:55:38 AM
It would be interesting to see a planet that had not had any significant catastrophes. If the snowball earth condition and great oxygenation event had not occurred it is conceivable that complex/multi-cellular life would never have come about. For about 3.5 billion years of the Earth's 4.5 billion year existence there was nothing more complex than a Paramecium. Given life kicked off within about 500 million years of the Earth's birth but then took 3,000 million years to go multi-cellular it would appear that life getting going is far easier than it getting complex.  
So the oxygenation event was a one off event for the earth?
That would mean, I guess, that this type of event is more likely not to happen than it is to happen, which would mean most Cinderalla planets with life have simple single cell organisms only.

It would also be interesting to compare the technological advancement history of other intelligent life planets. Did they invent TV, Microwave ovens, electric guitar, etc. Did they come up with crazy religions? Do they have countries, do countries have flags and national anthems?
It's funny, on the Catholic site that I visit, they were wondering if aliens would be Catholic LOL. They concluded No, because they wouldn't have come from Adam and Eve OMG.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on March 14, 2012, 09:32:08 AM
Quote from: Tank on March 14, 2012, 08:55:38 AM
So the oxygenation event was a one off event for the earth?
That would mean, I guess, that this type of event is more likely not to happen than it is to happen, which would mean most Cinderalla planets with life have simple single cell organisms only.

It would also be interesting to compare the technological advancement history of other intelligent life planets. Did they invent TV, Microwave ovens, electric guitar, etc. Did they come up with crazy religions? Do they have countries, do countries have flags and national anthems?
It's funny, on the Catholic site that I visit, they were wondering if aliens would be Catholic LOL. They concluded No, because they wouldn't have come from Adam and Eve OMG.

The Great Oxygenation Event was unique in the history of the Earth and had a profound impact on life at the time and then throughout history. Oxygen is a highly reactive gas and as a result poisonous as it disrupts chemicals and chemical reactions. Life that had evolved in an environment with very low oxygen concentrations really had a had time as the oxygen levels grew.

Personally on the basis of our current level of knowledge I would speculate that microbial life will turn up in a wide range of conditions as long as there is liquid water and will thus be relatively common. However I think complex life will be much rarer and that technologically capable life will be almost as rare as unicorn poo.  :(

Jimmy

Truely amazing!! I get this fanastic feeling everytime I think about the sheer size of the universe!!

Here're a video that REALLY gets me.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u595Y2xWPPI
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.