News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

How Cold Is It?

Started by Bella, December 03, 2007, 02:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

It's 37* (it really doesn't get below 30* here... and it's not even winter yet!) and I think I'm going to die... my heater sucks! I know I'm a weenie because I've lived here my entire life... but I know a lot of you have MUCH colder weather right now... how do you live through it?  :cry: Is it just a matter of the right clothing? Do you develop super-human powers over time? :)

rlrose328

Layers... layers is the way to go.  While weather.com says it's 52 here, it's a very cold rain coming down and so I've got on a turtleneck under a sweater, two pair of socks and fluffy slippers, and warm pants (my sweats are dirty).  I find that jeans get cold and stay cold, so I don't wear them much in the winter.

Then when you're inside somewhere warm, you can remove the top layer and still be comfortable.  A friend of mine lives in the northern region and she wears lots of turtlenecks... that's where I got the idea.  LOL!  If you're super warm, find some shirts made of some sort of material that wicks away moisture or some waffle-weave shirt (like longjohns or something) to wear as a base layer.

Since you're in San Diego, one good pair of a warm underlayer should be good enough for the rest of your life.  LOL!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

SteveS

It was 26 when I drove in this morning (in Chicago) - the high is supposed to be 30 (that's Fahrenheit for my friends across the pond).  But, the wind is blowing pretty hard (I think they're estimating 30 mph), so it feels a bit colder (okay, more than a bit, I think the wind chills are single digit).

I've lived in this area my whole life - so I guess you just get used to it.  Tell you the truth, I'm almost more uncomfortable in the summer when the upper 90s / lower 100s hit - I just can't seem to cool down.  In the winter I can always wear more clothes.

The best way to keep warm is to protect your extremities: face/head, hands and feet.

If you're going outside, especially for an extended period, don't be shy about piling on the clothes.  Warm socks with boots will keep your feet warm & dry - an important first step.  Gloves/mittens are a must.  Also, the long coat is the way to go - it won't damage your look if you're fashion-conscious and it will really help keep you warm.  If you can't stand wearing a hat, then pick up some of those new ear-muff things that just wrap around your head.  Keeping your ears out of the wind will go a long way toward making you feel more comfortable.  I'd also recommend a scarf - you can wrap it around your neck, and if the wind is biting at your face just pull it up over your mouth - keeping your lips from the wind will also really help.

Finally, kind of a no-brainer, if it is raining or wet out it is essential to wear clothes that will keep you dry.  Being wet in the cold is not just miserably uncomfortable - it is actually dangerous (i.e. hypothermia).

That's my "Chicagoan" winter advice!  And don't worry, nobody will think you're foolish for dressing warmly in a northern climate.  Instead, you'll project both beauty and brains!  A winning combination....  :wink:

MommaSquid

The longer I live in AZ the harder it is for me to stay warm in the winter.  What used to feel comfortably cool in PA now feels down right freezing in AZ...what gives?  Hubby walks around in shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt while I wear socks, slippers, long jammies and put a blanket on my lap. :?

Bella, the others have given good advice.  Layer, layer, layer!

McQ

Quote from: "MommaSquid"The longer I live in AZ the harder it is for me to stay warm in the winter.  What used to feel comfortably cool in PA now feels down right freezing in AZ...what gives?  Hubby walks around in shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt while I wear socks, slippers, long jammies and put a blanket on my lap. :?

Bella, the others have given good advice.  Layer, layer, layer!

Brrrr......I need to move to AZ too!

I was out trying to photograph Bald Eagles this week, and my hands froze! I could barely work the controls of the camera. My body hates cold weather way more than it used to.

How are the winters in Flagstaff? I absolutely loved Flagstaff in the summer. Don't know what to expect there in the chilly months though.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

MommaSquid

Hey, McQ, I'd be glad to welcome you to AZ.  

Flagstaff gets a good amount of snow and cold weather, but it is short lived compared to northeastern winters.  

It is chilly in the Phoenix area right now...lows in the mid 40's and highs in the low 70's...which used to seem really warm to me!

Let me know if you decide to relocate.  We could get together and have a beer.   :cheers:

MysticalChicken

It was actually surprisingly warm today.  Last time I took the dog out there were some fairly warmish winds from the south.  At least I think it was south.  I'm sitting here with my arms outstretched--"Let's see, that's west, so... over there is east, and that's north... no, wait..."

"Down in the hall, embedded in walls, hear them screaming.  Stashed in a bar, a brain in a jar, no one sees them.  Sucking them blind and draining their minds, hear them screaming.  Stas

antares

Getting down to 33 tonight in the swamps. I really wish it would freeze here and kill the mosquitoes.
Every man, wherever he goes, is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with him like flies on a summer day.
 - Bertrand Russell

Will

The grass is always greener. Here in the SF Bay area, I miss snow and real cold. It never really gets cold here... trade?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Mister Joy

It's cold, dark, pissing down & very windy where I am. Tourist season. Oh and I'm craving a cigarette quite badly, so I'm going to go stand in the garden and shout as I enjoy my roll-up.

LSchune

It's fluctuating here in Findlay.  This weekend was freezing.  We had a nasty mix of snow, sleet, and rain all three days, leaving us with a lovely result of ice... everywhere.  I almost brained myself walking back to my dorm Saturday night, and I wasn't even drinking!

Now it's about 40, but I want some damn snow!  Where's my fucking white christmas here?  If I don't have snow by the time my surgery rolls around, I'll be pissed and needing the pills by then.
Steve, I am going to fucking kick your ass when I can find it.

"I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute."
Rebecca West

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Wh

Squid

It's currently 56 outside but it's already dark.  The high tomorrow is supposed to be 78.

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "MommaSquid"It is chilly in the Phoenix area right now...lows in the mid 40's and highs in the low 70's
Um, there's some disconnect in that statement.  I think it occurs between the "chilly" and the "low 70s".

For those of you that "miss" snow, or want snow, are you forgetting what happens after you view the pristine snowscapes outside of your windows?  By that I mean, the salt stains on everything, the gray-brown slush that covers parking lots and roads, the potholes, black ice, etc.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

BleedingOrchid

Quote from: "rlrose328"it's a very cold rain coming down

Oh please, oh please share some of your rain with our extremely dry southeast portion of the country! It's supposed to snow here 2nite, but only a bit. We need more precipitation & it's 32* right now...

Em   :?
Here we are
Upon your stage
The love we share
The dreams we'll save
They're bleeding the orchid...~Smashing Pumpkins

Tom62

Here in Germany we have temperatures between -2 degrees (in Munich) and 5 degrees (were I live). That is in Celsius of course. In Fahrenheit that would mean somewhere between 28 - 41 degrees. Last couple of days we've had cloudy weather with lots of rain.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein