News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

National Atheist Party invites Westboro Church to Reason Rally

Started by m.condon, March 07, 2012, 02:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m.condon

Usanap.org
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMzqSDWbLfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buddy

I don't know about you guys, but I really want to see the Westboro's reply.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Firebird

What are you hoping to show by extending this invitation?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Whitney

Quote from: Firebird on March 07, 2012, 04:46:04 AM

I'm wondering that too because I can't think of anything productive.

Stevil

I would love to have my face up on a "God hates Atheists" picket board.
I would cherish it forever.

Asmodean

Quote from: Whitney on March 07, 2012, 05:10:31 AM

Why can't the whole point be to annoy them slightly?  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Mixed feelings about this. Frankly WBC thrive on publicity, so they'd love to come. I would have thought the majority of the attendees would want to see the WBC at RR as much as they would like to contract Aids. What if there's a punch up? Are NAP going to be responsible? Are there any other theist organisations being invited to attend? Was this invite approved by the RR organisers or not?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on March 07, 2012, 06:49:14 AM

Yeah.  I can't really think of anything productive that will come of it, but I'm childish enough to be fine with atheists (and anyone else for that matter) poking the WBC with a stick whenever they feel like it. 

Crow

What! That's a silly idea.

So lets say they do decide to attend the event and the media gets wind of it, they are going to be present because they have been invited by The National Atheist Party. Westboro baptist church is probably one of the most disliked group in America, and atheists don't exactly have a good public image in the States either, so why would you want to be associated with them in the slightest, you might say it's to show the National Atheist Party are accepting of the diversity and free speech of your nation but the media will not spin it that way.

The National Atheist Party is a young organization that is trying to gain credibility, so why the fuck would you invite a severely disliked group that could then be associated with your party? In fact its not a silly idea its a downright idiotic idea, did you have your thinking caps on that day?
Retired member.

m.condon

The Westboro Baptist Church has said that they will be attending the event. This invitation is an invitation to pick on someone their own size, as opposed to cowardly and hatefully protesting funerals. We at the National Atheist Party are fighting hard to protect our secular rights and values, and we are a force to be reckon with.  If they are already going to be at the even the National Atheist Party wants them to know that they are more than welcome and will be met with smiles, reason and swag bags as opposed to the hateful ignorance that the Church seems to project on everyone they encounter.
Usanap.org
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kMzqSDWbLfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ali

Quote from: m.condon on March 07, 2012, 04:46:32 PM
The Westboro Baptist Church has said that they will be attending the event. This invitation is an invitation to pick on someone their own size, as opposed to cowardly and hatefully protesting funerals. We at the National Atheist Party are fighting hard to protect our secular rights and values, and we are a force to be reckon with.  If they are already going to be at the even the National Atheist Party wants them to know that they are more than welcome and will be met with smiles, reason and swag bags as opposed to the hateful ignorance that the Church seems to project on everyone they encounter.

Works for me.  If anyone is the US is stupid enough to think that atheists are, like, aligning themselves with the WBC (which yes, some people are that stupid, especially when it comes to confirming what they already want to believe - that atheists are The Evil) then they already had that opinion of atheists (and don't know anything about what an atheist actually is) and frankly, meh, fuck 'em.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Asmodean on March 07, 2012, 06:49:14 AM

Maybe it's to lock them in a church and set them on fire?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Stevil

Firebird

Ok, makes more sense if they're already coming anyway. I saw them once protesting outside Harvard Law School and there was a counter-protest going on next to them, peacefully. I was impressed with the restraint of the other protesters, especially since my first impression was to find a rock and throw it at WBC :)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Quote from: m.condon on March 07, 2012, 04:46:32 PM
Sort of turning the other cheek then?  ;) :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.