News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Christianity, why the need?

Started by Truthseeker, February 27, 2012, 04:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too Few Lions

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 05, 2012, 07:18:26 PM
The OT...think of it as a parent with a young child would dictate how to and what to do where as the NT assumes the child is now an adult and already has been taught...no longer "forced" as a child might be to follow rules in a household would, but now independant and can think and act as an adult would.
or otherwise more historically, think of the OT as the writings of Judaean and Israelite priests in the 9th-6th centuries BCE, and think of the NT as the writings of Hellenised Jews in the 1st-2nd centuries CE, living in a vastly different Roman world influenced by Greek philosophy. Society can change a lot in a thousand years.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Crow on March 05, 2012, 07:07:52 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 05, 2012, 06:53:02 PM
In other words, biblical interpretation is like science - when something is disproven, it is no longer believed, or it is reinterpreted. What's wrong with that?
This is something I thoroughly dislike, it grinds my gears when religion and science are held together on the same page, they aren't related even in the slightest.

They're not interpreted in the same way to begin with. Is it even correct to say that science is "interpreted"? ??? Not to spiral this thread into another semantic argument, but that word is more subjective than not.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Stevil

Would it be accurate to say that Christians are adept at either:

Not discussing the details of Christianity (with non Christians) with a goal of honest inquiry
or
Dancing around discussions and avoiding any direct attempt to address the issues of concern?

Is this the mental gymnastics they often get accused of?

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Stevil on March 06, 2012, 06:24:59 AM

I thought it was their leaps of logic.
And then there's the extremely complicated stuff.  Lots of little steps that seem straight but are all slightly curved and when all joined together create a lovely circular argument.

Truthseeker

Would it be accurate to say that Christians are adept at either:

Not discussing the details of Christianity (with non Christians) with a goal of honest inquiry
or
Dancing around discussions and avoiding any direct attempt to address the issues of concern?

Seems to me they do not even want to discuss the bare fundamentals let alone details. 
Suffering is the breaking of the shell that encloses one's understanding.  Khalil Gibran

history_geek

Isn't that what the apologists have been doing and refining for years, now? That and making philosophical arguments that lead nowhere but they try very hard to make it sound as if they actually had something to back them up...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Stevil

Quote from: history_geek on March 06, 2012, 11:09:19 AM
Isn't that what the apologists have been doing and refining for years, now? That and making philosophical arguments that lead nowhere but they try very hard to make it sound as if they actually had something to back them up...

Could you imagine what science would look like if they didn't bother with physical tests and observations?
The world would be flat, sitting on the backs of a stack of turtles, there would be monsters at the edges of the world, the sun, moon have specific paths where they traverse from one portal to another, teleporting back to the West so they can start the same journey over.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: Stevil on March 06, 2012, 06:26:59 PM
Quote from: history_geek on March 06, 2012, 11:09:19 AM

Could you imagine what science would look like if they didn't bother with physical tests and observations?
The world would be flat, sitting on the backs of a stack of turtles, there would be monsters at the edges of the world, the sun, moon have specific paths where they traverse from one portal to another, teleporting back to the West so they can start the same journey over.
yep, just the way the original writers of the Bible believed the world to be!

Truthseeker

Quote from: Stevil
...the sun, moon have specific paths where they traverse from one portal to another, teleporting back to the West so they can start the same journey over.

Actually, Joshua 10:13 tells of a time when the sun and the moon stood still .  So apparently, since the Bible is the inerrant, infalible word of god there was a time when, I guess, the sun and moon revolved around the earth. Hmm
Suffering is the breaking of the shell that encloses one's understanding.  Khalil Gibran

Stevil

Quote from: Truthseeker on March 06, 2012, 07:05:26 PM
Quote from: Stevil
...the sun, moon have specific paths where they traverse from one portal to another, teleporting back to the West so they can start the same journey over.

Actually, Joshua 10:13 tells of a time when the sun and the moon stood still .  So apparently, since the Bible is the inerrant, infalible word of god there was a time when, I guess, the sun and moon revolved around the earth. Hmm
The moon still does, apparently  ;D

But, yeah, maybe god changed things once people developed scientific knowledge, just to make things scientifically consistent. A cover up if you will, not to be deceitful, but just because gods wants us to believe without evidence rather than to know.

Truthseeker

There are actually numerous examples of the laws of nature being suspended in the Bible that are dubbed as miracles.  But this one here is just a straight up fallacy.  And yes I certainly did not mean to include the moon in my statement.  I just included that whole portion of the verse and was not thinking straight. 

Truthseeker

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Truthseeker

Tank

Quote from: Truthseeker on April 30, 2012, 04:40:05 PM
EEEKK!  Sorry.
No need to be sorry. I'd rather see a good story linked to multiple times than no at all. Don't feel inhibited from posting. The staff can merge and members cross reference as I did.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.