News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Why is Hebden Bridge the lesbian capital? (of the UK)

Started by Tank, February 09, 2012, 07:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Why is Hebden Bridge the lesbian capital?

QuoteCertain areas of the UK have greater concentrations of gay people and lesbians living there. But why?

Manchester. London. Brighton.

Some places in the UK are known for having a disproportionately high number of gay and lesbian people.

Such concentrations can be visible in the form of rainbow signs on bars or shops in places like Old Compton Street in London and Manchester's Canal Street.

Bigger cities are often assumed to be more tolerant places. But while one can imagine how metropolises like London, Paris and New York might disproportionately attract gay people, what about the smaller havens?

How, for instance, has a small, peaceful market town like Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire become known as "the lesbian capital of the UK"? ...

Read on to find out  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on February 09, 2012, 07:15:03 PM
Sounds like a nice place to live.
Been there a few time. It's where they shoot 'Last of the Summer Wine'. It is very full of character and people with strong calf muscles!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dobermonster

And here I thought the answer would be 'hot chicks'. :P

Sounds like a lovely place to live. The arts, charming architecture, bohemian culture, an easy-going and open community . . . wonder what the cost of living is like . . .

Amicale

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 10, 2012, 06:36:13 AM
And here I thought the answer would be 'hot chicks'. :P

Sounds like a lovely place to live. The arts, charming architecture, bohemian culture, an easy-going and open community . . . wonder what the cost of living is like . . .

It sounds awesome! If I was a citizen of the UK and could find a job in that area, that type of town is one I'd LOVE to settle into. The pictures of the area are pretty, and the way it's described as a family friendly, accepting, interesting area really paint it as the sort of place that'd be just about right for me. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

En_Route

Quote from: Tank on February 10, 2012, 07:05:10 AM
If you all moved there I could come visit!

Each to their own. I'm scouring the map for the nymphomaniac capital of the UK.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

The Magic Pudding

Tank

Quote from: En_Route on February 11, 2012, 12:45:59 PM

I know where that is  ;D

And I'm keeping it secret!  :D

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on February 11, 2012, 03:09:24 PM

I know where that is  ;D

And I'm keeping it secret!  :D

I hope it's not the chair you're sitting on.  :-\

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Crow

I'm scouring the map for the nymphomaniac capital of the UK.

Wherever has the highest concentration of Aussies.
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

En_Route

Quote from: Crow on February 12, 2012, 09:40:40 PM
I'm scouring the map for the nymphomaniac capital of the UK.

Wherever has the highest concentration of Aussies.

Thanks.I've just bought a ticket to Earl's Court.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Crocoduck

Quote from: Tank on February 09, 2012, 07:22:00 PM
Quote from: Crow on February 09, 2012, 07:15:03 PM
Sounds like a nice place to live.
Been there a few time. It's where they shoot 'Last of the Summer Wine'. It is very full of character and people with strong calf muscles!
If that sexy Nora Batty still lives there I'm up for the trip.
As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank