News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

too much facebook?

Started by shoruke, November 29, 2007, 03:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoruke

Hey guys...

It might just be because I'm in high school, but these days, the word 'facebook' seems to be everywhere! I'm not on facebook, but I have trouble going a day without hearing about it. The kids in class (usually the advanced classes, oddly enough), my girlfriend, and even random people on the bus home all seem to talk about it. Why is this such a big thing? Personally, I think that it's another pervert magnet just waiting to happen, just like myspace. The way I heard it, people you've seen but don't know will offer to be your, quote unquote, friends. I'm sorry facebook, but I require a friendship to call someone a friend; an aquaintance doesn't cut it. If they fixed this I would be more inclined to join, but I probably still wouldn't anyway.

Anyhow, there's my two bits. Any comments guys?
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Will

Adulthood, for me, meant deleting most of my "friends" from myspace and facebook and simply maintaining both as a method of keeping a dialogue open with those I can't normally get ahold of and also acting as a way for people from my past to find me. I don't put personal information besides one picture on each.

Social networking sites are self-important and self-aggrandizing. They're actually just massive information collection devices.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Mister Joy

Facebook annoys me because it's one of these things that's becoming more and more of a necessity to have for any teenager, like a phone or an email address. It's not a case of "I need this otherwise I won't be cool" it's more a case of "I'd better get this because my idiot friends don't use msn or their mobiles any more and I'll fall out of touch if I stick to these now out-dated mediums of communication."

Mister Joy

Quote from: "WillRavel"Adulthood, for me, meant deleting most of my "friends" from myspace and facebook and simply maintaining both as a method of keeping a dialogue open with those I can't normally get ahold of and also acting as a way for people from my past to find me. I don't put personal information besides one picture on each.

Social networking sites are self-important and self-aggrandizing. They're actually just massive information collection devices.

You're probably right there. I've always preferred the simple effectiveness of hotmail and msn. Still, I think social networking sites can be a bit of fun for sharing photos and what have you.

rlrose328

I don't do Facebook... I only do MySpace because I HAD to do be connected to my neighbor and an old friend if I wanted to hear from them.  I did connect to some other atheists and then I connected to the contestants from "Who Wants to be a Super Hero" last season.  LOL!

I think the whole "everyone should be on the web" thing is out of hand.  Average people have no business on the internet.  (BIG wink there... LOL!)
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Bella

Facebook never really drew me in. Actually, myspace isn't as important to me as it was a few years ago... although I still keep it as a way to keep in contact with people. Perverts have found me both on myspace and on facebook... but they seem so much easier to spot on myspace, since there's more info available. I actually met up with a guy I knew in highschool via facebook... Worst mistake of my life. He tried to hold me down and tell me that I couldn't leave until I gave him a lapdance. Sseerriouusslly! He deleted his facebook a week ago, but had still been sending me messages about how I should meet him again and how sorry he was. Dude, when I see that guy at my highschool reunion, Ima punch him in the balls. :)

donkeyhoty

Bella, too much information.

I'm glad my college experience was ending as this Facebook bullshit was catching on.  The first time I saw it I thought, "This would be great for stalkers." and "Man oh man, this is stupid."

And Myspace, that god-awful eyesore disconnected me from the internet any time I tried looking at it.  So, I've never bothered with that crap except for a few band pages.

I use the internet a lot, but I hate it with a passion.  "Here's one of the greatest tools in the history of mankind.  Let's use it to share pictures of ourselves at a party with our heads tilted together."
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

saturnine

Perhaps unfortunately, I opened a facebook account, and have regretted it ever since. So if I could advise anyone, I would say not to do it. Is it really a good way to keep in touch? Fro some maybe, but it's so big right now. People just use it to show off, play mindless games, and market their causes. This could all be done by websites, e-mail, etc. or even an old-fashioned curteous phone call. And it's not just kids. people I know who are parents have accounts and access them daily for pictures, and to send just nonesense statements to each other. On the other hand, it can be good for community building, group dynamics, etc.

MommaSquid

Wow, I am so out of touch with the young whipper snappers and their face-my-book-space.  

Get my walker.  I'm feeling old.   :P

Will

In 1922? 41 may have been old. Today? It's the new 25.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Willravel"In 1922? 41 may have been old. Today? It's the new 25.

Not the way I'm living it!   :D

Whitney

When I joined facebook you had to have an .edu email to join.  

I hardly use it but did get contacted by one of my best friends from high school a few months ago...apparently he doesn't use it much either because he hasn't logged back in sense then.  Too bad he didn't contact me sooner because I was trying to find him earlier this year to invite him to the wedding...oh well.  I hope he's working on curing cancer, that guy was/is a genius...seriously, he did get into Mensa.

BleedingOrchid

I like having a facebook acct b/c it's interactive & offers the possibilities of making new friends while checking up on existing friends.
Here we are
Upon your stage
The love we share
The dreams we'll save
They're bleeding the orchid...~Smashing Pumpkins

Bella

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"Bella, too much information.

Not as bad as it sounded, he was bitty. More of an a$$hole move than anything creepy.

Ah, so no more .edu's necessary?

I just don't find it as interesting as myspace... until I can start monkeying with it, of course.  :roll:

LSchune

I was a facebook/myspace holdout all through my high school years.  Only when I started college this fall did I finally create a facebook account.  

It's a like/hate relationship.
Steve, I am going to fucking kick your ass when I can find it.

"I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute."
Rebecca West

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Wh