News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Caution on Twitter urged as tourists barred from US

Started by Tank, January 31, 2012, 05:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

QuoteHolidaymakers have been warned to watch their words after two friends were refused entry to the US on security grounds after a tweet.

Before his trip, Leigh Van Bryan wrote that he was going to "destroy America".

He insisted he was referring to simply having a good time - but was sent home.

Trade association Abta told the BBC that the case highlighted that holidaymakers should never do anything to raise "concern or suspicion in any way".

The US Department for Homeland Security picked up Mr Bryan's messages ahead of his holiday in Los Angeles.

The 26-year-old bar manager wrote a message to a friend on the micro-blogging service, saying: "Free this week, for quick gossip/prep before I go and destroy America."...

:-X
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

Quote from: Tank on January 31, 2012, 05:52:01 PM

QuoteHolidaymakers have been warned to watch their words after two friends were refused entry to the US on security grounds after a tweet.

Before his trip, Leigh Van Bryan wrote that he was going to "destroy America".

He insisted he was referring to simply having a good time - but was sent home.

Trade association Abta told the BBC that the case highlighted that holidaymakers should never do anything to raise "concern or suspicion in any way".

The US Department for Homeland Security picked up Mr Bryan's messages ahead of his holiday in Los Angeles.

The 26-year-old bar manager wrote a message to a friend on the micro-blogging service, saying: "Free this week, for quick gossip/prep before I go and destroy America."...

:-X
That is hilarious. Free speech in 'Merka is for 'Merkans only! But poor guy, planned and paid for a trip only to be denied for something so stupid.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

McQ

Well, his tweet did sound pretty stupid. How else are they supposed to interpret what he said without clarification? If you say, "I'm going to destroy x" then I take it literally, unless there's reason not to.

How about some common sense from all parties involved, including the idiot who tweeted the message?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

philosoraptor

How about government officials stop overreacting and worry about catching real criminals?

Destroy, in the context that he was seeming to use it, is a colloquialism.  As in:

"Man, I'm so hungry, I could destroy a 5lb burrito!"
"We're going to destroy the bar for his bachelor party.  There won't be any beer leftover!"

And so on.  I understand their need to at least investigate, but it seems kind of stupid to deny him entry to the country on the basis of something so silly.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Ali

Ridic.  You don't bar someone from entering the country on the basis of a flippant tweet.  If they had other reasons to suspect him of terrorism, sure.  But a silly tweet?   ::)  I'm sorry, but I think that the majority of the things they now do to try to "keep us safe" is moronic.  Like the no liquids over 3 oz thing?  Like SNL pointed out, what if a bunch of us are in cahoots and each bring 3 oz of whatever harmful liquid it is?  And seriously, you can make a weapon out of anything if you're determined enough.  Next they'll be banning socks and bars of soap because you can beat someone with a sock and a bar of soap, and no pantyhose because you could strangle someone with them, and no lap tops because you could bash someone over the head pretty good with one....and so on, until we're all sitting on the plane naked with no carry ons of any sort. 

Tank

Quote from: Ali on January 31, 2012, 07:43:57 PM
Ridic.  You don't bar someone from entering the country on the basis of a flippant tweet.  If they had other reasons to suspect him of terrorism, sure.  But a silly tweet?   ::)  I'm sorry, but I think that the majority of the things they now do to try to "keep us safe" is moronic.  Like the no liquids over 3 oz thing?  Like SNL pointed out, what if a bunch of us are in cahoots and each bring 3 oz of whatever harmful liquid it is?  And seriously, you can make a weapon out of anything if you're determined enough.  Next they'll be banning socks and bars of soap because you can beat someone with a sock and a bar of soap, and no pantyhose because you could strangle someone with them, and no lap tops because you could bash someone over the head pretty good with one....and so on, until we're all sitting on the plane naked with no carry ons of any sort. 
Sounds good to me  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

For the land of the freeee--

Seriously, how stupid is America?! Yeah, waste your time with a tweet taken out of context, and no time actually lowering REAL crime.
That poor guy.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

The Magic Pudding

Well done US Department for Homeland Security, you've saved America from destruction once again.
This should go into the stats as a thwarted security threat.  When budget time comes around their diligence should be rewarded.

Quote from: Tank on January 31, 2012, 08:15:31 PM
Sounds good to me  ;D

Those seat belts don't seem adequate, how about some proper restraints.

Ali

Quote from: Tank on January 31, 2012, 08:15:31 PM
Sounds good to me  ;D

Well yeah, you get to fly around with hot European types.  I have to fly with my fellow Americans.  Have you ever been smooshed in the middle seat between two people who are using part of your seat as well as their own?  Cause I have.  And now I'm picturing doing it naked, with their sticky thigh skin gluing itself to mine.  Ugh.  It would be all mottled and pink and sweaty. 

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on February 01, 2012, 01:37:19 AM
Have you ever been smooshed in the middle seat between two people who are using part of your seat as well as their own? 

Isn't there an airline rule that if you're the size of two people, you have to buy a seat for both of you?  Because otherwise I'm completely behind this nude flying idea, particularly if the attendants and pilots are also naked.  Fair is fair.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Buddy

Quote from: Ali on February 01, 2012, 01:37:19 AM

Well yeah, you get to fly around with hot European types.  I have to fly with my fellow Americans.  Have you ever been smooshed in the middle seat between two people who are using part of your seat as well as their own?  Cause I have.  And now I'm picturing doing it naked, with their sticky thigh skin gluing itself to mine.  Ugh.  It would be all mottled and pink and sweaty. 

I've got a pretty strong stomach, but that made me a bit queazy (sp?).  :D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

McQ

I still think the guy was a dumbass for his stupid tweet. Don't take that as me being in favor of the TSA. Couldn't be farther from a supporter of them, or big government (Libertarian-minded person).

But just like you don't yell, "Fire!" in a crowded theater, you don't joke about bombs on planes or destroying America, unless you are trying to invite trouble. Just avoid doing the dumb shit in the first place. Pretty simple. No one forces you to spout idiocy.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Traveler

Quote from: McQ on February 01, 2012, 09:08:22 PM
I still think the guy was a dumbass for his stupid tweet. Don't take that as me being in favor of the TSA. Couldn't be farther from a supporter of them, or big government (Libertarian-minded person).

But just like you don't yell, "Fire!" in a crowded theater, you don't joke about bombs on planes or destroying America, unless you are trying to invite trouble. Just avoid doing the dumb shit in the first place. Pretty simple. No one forces you to spout idiocy.

I agree with this. I'm the first to protest the scanners that see under our clothes, and strip searches, and anything else that violates our privacy. But it is the height of stupidity to make a statement that could be construed as a threat. Now, why someone was watching his tweets is another issue, and a potentially scary one. Why would they even have seen his tweet??? Without a search warrant, how are they entitled to track and trace something like that? What am I missing in this story???
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Davin

Quote from: Traveler on February 01, 2012, 09:17:19 PM
Quote from: McQ on February 01, 2012, 09:08:22 PM

I agree with this. I'm the first to protest the scanners that see under our clothes, and strip searches, and anything else that violates our privacy. But it is the height of stupidity to make a statement that could be construed as a threat. Now, why someone was watching his tweets is another issue, and a potentially scary one. Why would they even have seen his tweet??? Without a search warrant, how are they entitled to track and trace something like that? What am I missing in this story???
So someone can never use slang or joke in tweets ever? This just sounds a lot like punishing someone for practicing harmless free speech or just some people being extremely thick. Any jack ass can see that he was not really intending to destroy America, so even stupid humans should be able to tell.

Whatever you post on Twitter is public domain, so no warrants are required for that, so unless his name isn't easily linked to his Twitter account, there isn't a problem there.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.