News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Inappropriate funeral wear for singer

Started by Sweetdeath, January 31, 2012, 05:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: En_Route on January 31, 2012, 11:59:10 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 31, 2012, 10:31:17 PM
Quote from: En_Route on January 31, 2012, 10:24:36 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 31, 2012, 09:49:00 PM
Quote from: En_Route on January 31, 2012, 09:08:59 PM
The outrage expressed on the website is no doubt wholly manufactured and a mere excuse to regale the reader with sightings of Ms. A's boobs from various angles. I think nonetheless they have a point. Boobs are erogenous zones (or at least so I have it on good authority); flashing your boobs therefore constitutes a significant distraction and also serve to draw heightened attention to their owner. So in a ceremony designed  to celebrate the momery of the deceased, this kind of self-promoting exhibitionism is out of place and more than a trifle crass.

I would agree with you if this were Joe Schmoe's funeral, but I guess I just expect a "Hollywood" funeral to be a little more "Hollywood."  I also didn't think her outfit was that racy, to be honest.  It was low-cut to be sure, but other than that it was a black suit with a knee length skirt and full length sleeves.  I wouldn't wear something that low cut, and particularly not to a funeral, but I'm also not a famous pop star giving a performance.

I take your point about showbiz which often seems to require its practitioners to showbitz. Not so totally convinced that famous pop stars (or their boobs) should be given a get-out-of-jail card on the decorum front(age).

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think Etta James would have minded CA's low cut top.  Ms. James was a rather famous sexy bad girl herself. 

Your post has had a moderating effect. I shall stop harrumphing at once.

Very wise.   ;D

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on January 31, 2012, 11:42:09 PM
Wtf, why is this even worth reporting?

Because it's America, and these things are important!! Unlike the job crisis or violence on the rise. Or human rights!!
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: En_Route on January 31, 2012, 11:57:39 PM

Because  gossip  pertaining to celebrities and  photographic evidence of the boobs belonging to them are of all-consuming interest to a large swathe of the population.

I know, but whhyyyyyyy.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 01, 2012, 04:22:10 AM

Because  gossip  pertaining to celebrities and  photographic evidence of the boobs belonging to them are of all-consuming interest to a large swathe of the population.

I know, but whhyyyyyyy.

$$$$$
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

What did she sing? 'Thanks for the Mammaries?'

*ducks before a tomato hits her*

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Asmodean

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 31, 2012, 09:59:13 PM
Quote from: Davin on January 31, 2012, 09:18:43 PM
Quote from: En_Route on January 31, 2012, 09:08:59 PMSo in a ceremony designed  to celebrate the momery of the deceased, this kind of self-promoting exhibitionism is out of place and more than a trifle crass.
That's why everyone should plainly, wouldn't want to draw attention to oneself, otherwise they're being crass.

On some level I agree with the above. Something a little bit more...conservative for lack of a better word, would be more normal in a funeral setting. On the other hand, she was performing and there are some expectations in that category.

These opinions may not be entirely unbiased,  as I really like boobs!  ;)
I don't think a funeral should be a costume parade of black and boring. Why exactly is it inappropriate, for instance, to attend in a skull t-shirt?

In general, I think people should dress the way they like, unless wearing a uniform for the purpose of easy identification or protective gear.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

En_Route

I know, but whhyyyyyyy.

Because many people  look to gossip, glamour and and melodrama as a form of escapism. Life is grim and life is earnest and it is natural to seek a refuge from its tribulations. Three cheers for a good dollop of fantasy and frivolity. Why administer intravaneous misery agonising over shit which is beyond your control?
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Buddy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 01, 2012, 12:28:48 AM

Because it's America, and these things are important!! Unlike the job crisis or violence on the rise. Or human rights!!

It's funny, because the national news was reporting a girl who could say anything backwards and I said something along the lines of that. (I think it was Fox, but I'm not sure.)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ali

Quote from: Amicale on February 01, 2012, 09:36:03 AM

;D ;D ;D ;D

Buddy

Quote from: Ali on February 01, 2012, 02:21:20 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D

No tomato, but I do have chocolate.  :D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Amicale

Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 01, 2012, 02:32:53 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 01, 2012, 02:21:20 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D

No tomato, but I do have chocolate.  :D

Ooooh. Nom nom nom.  :D

Eh, seriously though, I suppose the most obvious reason people are expected to dress conservatively and in black is because everyone at a funeral is supposed to be depressed and upset, and not focused on showing themselves off. So when someone deviates from that, others get all indignant about it. When a family member of mine died a few years ago though, she had her 'memorial service' planned in advance, and it really fit her well: she said that everyone was to show up at a specific house, dressed only in 'comfy clothes' (jeans, t-shirts, whatever else you felt was comfy), and we were to drink wine, eat good food, play favourite music, share photos, and basically just have a party. It was awesome. J hated black funeral clothes, and she loved a good party... so she chose cremation, skipped having an actual funeral, and wanted us to remember her while we were having fun. It was one of the best, truest 'send offs' I've ever seen.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

The Magic Pudding

I know, but whhyyyyyyy.

Quote from: En_Route on February 01, 2012, 01:25:55 PM
Because many people  look to gossip, glamour and and melodrama as a form of escapism. Life is grim and life is earnest and it is natural to seek a refuge from its tribulations. Three cheers for a good dollop of fantasy and frivolity. Why administer intravaneous misery agonising over shit which is beyond your control?

It's not just fantasy and frivolity, some people seem to enjoy putting another down.  Your village may have had an unwed mother people could focus their petty disapproval on.  The world now gets to focus their disapproval on someone like Amy Winehouse.  Taking satisfaction in seeing another fail, not a criminal just someone failing to be a butterfly, it is an ugly thing.

Fantasy and frivolity are OK as an aspect of existence but the difficult shouldn't be ignored.  A democracy doesn't function well with a population of air heads.  I've seen links to news stories where the page is full of links to absolute crap stories designed to titillate.  These things are the equivalent of junk food.  I advise against basing your diet on junk food or your world view on this sensationalist crap.  

En_Route

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 02, 2012, 04:18:32 AM
I know, but whhyyyyyyy.

Quote from: En_Route on February 01, 2012, 01:25:55 PM
Because many people  look to gossip, glamour and and melodrama as a form of escapism. Life is grim and life is earnest and it is natural to seek a refuge from its tribulations. Three cheers for a good dollop of fantasy and frivolity. Why administer intravaneous misery agonising over shit which is beyond your control?

It's not just fantasy and frivolity, some people seem to enjoy putting another down.  Your village may have had an unwed mother people could focus their petty disapproval on.  The world now gets to focus their disapproval on someone like Amy Winehouse.  Taking satisfaction in seeing another fail, not a criminal just someone failing to be a butterfly, it is an ugly thing.

Fantasy and frivolity are OK as an aspect of existence but the difficult shouldn't be ignored.  A democracy doesn't function well with a population of air heads.  I've seen links to news stories where the page is full of links to absolute crap stories designed to titillate.  These things are the equivalent of junk food.  I advise against basing your diet on junk food or your world view on this sensationalist crap.  

I'd distingush between the faux-outrage at Ms. Aguilera's (not unprecedented) disporting of her decolletage and the narrow-minded  sanctimoniousness which in my experience has largely disappeared from the British Isles. In my town girls wheel their fatherless kids around almost as a badge of pride and indeed are fairly handsomely rewarded by the state for both their sexual insouciance and adamantine unemployability.  Democracies don't function especially well- not least because the majority of people are probably airheads by your standards- but the wonder is that like Dr.Johnson's dog they function at all.

DeterminedJuliet

I agree with Puddin`. I like a bit of frivolity as much as the next person, but most people who are into gossip-news don`t even seem to enjoy it. They read it so they can tear another person apart or hyper-analyze any perceived flaw they might have. It`s just so much time, energy and money wasted on so much meaningless negativity.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

En_Route

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 02, 2012, 02:46:58 PM
I agree with Puddin`. I like a bit of frivolity as much as the next person, but most people who are into gossip-news don`t even seem to enjoy it. They read it so they can tear another person apart or hyper-analyze any perceived flaw they might have. It`s just so much time, energy and money wasted on so much meaningless negativity.

Au contraire, I think  that they enjoy it very much. Schadenfreude is one of the more timeless human pleasures. For many people, the soap opera of celebrity is meaningful and who are we to gainsay them?