News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

2012: Year of the Bible in Pennsylvania

Started by Recusant, January 30, 2012, 01:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Lest we forget. . .  

Raw Story | "Pennsylvania General Assembly names 2012 'the year of the Bible' "

QuoteThe Pennsylvania General Assembly this week passed a non-binding resolution that declares 2012 as "the year of the Bible."

"As not only Pennsylvania, but the United States, continues to face great tests and challenges, House Resolution 535 serves as a reminder that we must look to our faith in God and the Holy Scripture to provide us with the strength, wisdom and courage to conquer these great trials," Rep. Rick Saccone (R[epublican]), who sponsored the resolution, said.

"All over the Pennsylvania Capitol, one can easily see the tremendous influence that Christianity and the Bible have had over our founders and predecessors," he added. "These images and quotes illustrating the beliefs and morals that have shaped our great Commonwealth must never be forgotten."

The symbolic resolution was approved by a unanimous 193 to 0 vote.

"[The] House of Representatives declare 2012 as the 'Year of the Bible' in Pennsylvania in recognition of both the formative influence of the Bible on our Commonwealth and nation and our national need to study and apply the teachings of the holy scriptures," it states.

. . .

[Quote from Freedom From Religion Foundation response:] "Our constitution grants sovereignty not to a deity or a 'holy book,' but to 'We, the People.' There is no reference to God, the bible, the Ten Commandments or Jesus in the U.S. Constitution, just as there are no references to 'consent of the governed,' 'civil liberties' or 'democracy' in the bible," the group said.

Freedom From Religion's article about Resolution 535

PDF file of letter from Freedom From Religion Foundation

Not one vote against; it would be a career killer. This is the United States in the 21st century.   I do like the Freedom From Religion response, though.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sweetdeath

That face palm Picard says right. The U.S continues to de-evolve. Soon, we'll be in the dark ages, where public hangings are held for using the lord's name in vain or cheating on a spouse. e__e
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

skwurll

I'll take 2012 as the year of the bible, as long as we get 2013 as the year of The God Delusion.

Tank

Quote from: skwurll on January 30, 2012, 08:04:53 AM
I'll take 2012 as the year of the bible, as long as we get 2013 as the year of The God Delusion.
No chance. 2013 will be the year of the Quran.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on January 30, 2012, 08:06:52 AM
Quote from: skwurll on January 30, 2012, 08:04:53 AM
No chance. 2013 will be the year of the Quran.
...And 2014-2042 are the Years of The Asmo.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

it seems like when it comes to the people of the US, every year is "The year of What the f¤¤k!?!"

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Chinese too. Year of the pig, monkey, dragon, Chairman, you-name-it... What's wrong with just the number?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

I wonder if we're past peak bible yet.
As a percentage I think we are but total bibles and biblers remains high.

Harmonie

We're only one month in, and 2012 is already ruined!

Seriously, though, what is the point of this?

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Traveler

Quote from: Radiant on January 30, 2012, 03:09:38 PM
We're only one month in, and 2012 is already ruined!

Seriously, though, what is the point of this?

You got that right. :(

As to the point, the point is to royally piss me off. Oh, wait, the world doesn't revolve around me, does it? Sigh. But seriously, what a sad state of affairs that an entire state's government can fail to remember that we were founded on various principles, including separation of church and state. And that many of our founding fathers were not christian. I shall now creep off to bang my head against the wall and check out immigration policies to countries with more sense.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Harmonie

I just don't understand how these things even get pushed through. Much less entirely unanimously.

I mean, I might expect for it to get passed in my state (which has people like Sally Kern). Even so, it shouldn't. State sponsored religion is dangerous.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Ali

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 30, 2012, 09:27:47 AM
it seems like when it comes to the people of the US, every year is "The year of What the f¤¤k!?!"

Sadly true.

I reject the motion to make 2012 the "Year of the Bible" and instead move to make 2012 the "Year of Ikea."

Firebird

Ugh. The worst part is that not a single politician had the backbone to stand up and say "no". It's things like this which drove me to finally say "Fuck it, I'm atheist"
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Buddy

Quote from: Ali on January 30, 2012, 04:24:35 PM

Sadly true.

I reject the motion to make 2012 the "Year of the Bible" and instead move to make 2012 the "Year of Ikea."

Technically, it would be "I move to amend the motion by striking out bible and inserting Ikea."

Hehe sorry, I had parliamentary procedure practice so it's fresh in my mind.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ali

Quote from: Budhorse4 on January 30, 2012, 04:33:21 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 30, 2012, 04:24:35 PM

Sadly true.

Technically, it would be "I move to amend the motion by striking out bible and inserting Ikea."

Hehe sorry, I had parliamentary procedure practice so it's fresh in my mind.

:P :P :P :P