News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

The Mist

Started by Bella, November 26, 2007, 07:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

So, I saw this movie today (based on a novella by Stephen King). Like all of his stuff, it was a total mindfuck. I don't want to ruin it... but let's just say there's some crazy religious  stuff going on in there. I certainly wouldn't call it anything positive... I'd call it negative if I had to choose... but it's scary... a la Lord of the Flies but worse.

I'm a weenie when it comes to scary movies (especially psychological ones), so I don't want to be responsible for promoting this movie. However, if you're brave about it, you may want to see it.

SteveS

Heh, I like scary movies.  I check it out if/when I get a chance (prob. not in the theater - don't get to those too much anymore - when I do its a 'family movie').  Thanks for the tip!

myleviathan

I remember the newer version of the Lord of the Flies being really disturbing as a kid. Like when Piggy gets crushed by the rock. I would think about it at night. Poor Piggy.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

MysticalChicken

I've never seen the movie, but the book version of LotF is the only book that's ever truly scared me.  I had to read it in English class in highschool and I loved it so much that I kept skipping ahead.  I own it now.

"Down in the hall, embedded in walls, hear them screaming.  Stashed in a bar, a brain in a jar, no one sees them.  Sucking them blind and draining their minds, hear them screaming.  Stas

shoruke

I've never read Lotf or the Mist, but I've seen the Lotf movie in history class... It's not all that scary. Then again, I was kinda focusing on the Hobbes vs. Locke ideology aspect... Those kids murdered piggy! wtf
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

myleviathan

I had to read it in high school too. Great book. The whole idea of kids on an island for an extended periods of time while they set up a society of their own is an extremely interesting theme. I'm sure that's why we now have the show 'Kid Nation'. I don't watch the show but I was flipping through the channels and they were deciding whether to kill a chicken for fresh meat. They showed the kids chopping off the chicken's head and plucking the feathers. I heard they had to choose a religion as well.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

SteveS

Quote from: "myleviathan"Like when Piggy gets crushed by the rock.
Ditto.  I was utterly horrified.  It troubled me deeply.  I, too, loved the book.  Not because it was nice, but because it was so unlike other books I had read.  It wasn't afraid to include tragedy and horror - plenty of which exist in reality.

pjkeeley

Dudes! Spoilers argh! I haven't read LOtF...

Warnings before spoilers in future?

:pirate:

Bella

:shock: Really?! Go read it nooowwww! (Or, at least watch the movie... I found the black and white one to be more disturbing... but that may just be because that was the first one I saw and I was younger)

Will

NOT BAD! Surprisingly good drama, dark, intriguing, and a fundy that everyone loves to hate. Did I mention it was dark?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

BleedingOrchid

I've never been a huge Stephen King fan, but I really like The Shawshank Redemption. I read The Dark Half & really didn't care for it.
Here we are
Upon your stage
The love we share
The dreams we'll save
They're bleeding the orchid...~Smashing Pumpkins