News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Petition to remove In God We Trust from money

Started by Gawen, January 26, 2012, 12:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawen

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!/petition/replace-words-god-we-trust-us-money-e-pluribus-unum-40-us-dont-believe-christian-god/XYW2KM7Q

I signed it. You have to make an account to do so. Spread it around to your friends and other Discussion boards you frequent.

EDIT: Sorted link so it pointed to the specific petition - Tank
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

DeterminedJuliet

The new Canadian 100 dollar bill doesn't have anything about God, we have science!

But, it's made out of plastic, and apparently isn't as sturdy as they had hoped, so it looks like it's going to be discontinued. But still. Science!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

I love it when Americans find that who is on the £10 note  ;D

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Traveler

I'm trying to sign it but they haven't sent the email confirmation yet. And its been awhile. :(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Whitney

it won't acknowledge that I'm signed in no matter what I do.  I can sign into the account, the petition page just doesn't work right.

Ali

Traveler

Quote from: Ali on January 26, 2012, 05:03:19 PM
Waiting for my confirmation email....

I'm still waiting too ... almost two hours later. It's a shame, because I think its an important enough issue to warrant my input. At first I was thinking of all the money it would cost to retool the bills, but then I realized they've been redesigning our bills quite frequently anyway, so let's redesign in a way that's more inclusive of our population. I would really, really like to sign this petition. I hope they get things fixed so we can do so.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Ali

Quote from: Traveler on January 26, 2012, 05:50:24 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 26, 2012, 05:03:19 PM
Waiting for my confirmation email....

I'm still waiting too ... almost two hours later. It's a shame, because I think its an important enough issue to warrant my input. At first I was thinking of all the money it would cost to retool the bills, but then I realized they've been redesigning our bills quite frequently anyway, so let's redesign in a way that's more inclusive of our population. I would really, really like to sign this petition. I hope they get things fixed so we can do so.

Maybe this is the way that they stop us unpatriotic Atheists from having an input, just don't actually let anyone sign the petition.  Then they can claim that they didn't get enough signatures.   :P

Davin

It only tooke me 30 minutes to get my confirmation email, but I just signed it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sweetdeath

I'm going to sign this now. This has been as issue IMO for too long.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Harmonie

I shall sign it! When I remember my login information.  :-[

I made an account a while ago to sign a gay rights petition... but that was several months ago.

On the note of this petition, there should also definitely be a petition to take "Under God" back out of the pledge, as well.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Davin

Quote from: Sweetdeath on January 26, 2012, 06:38:23 PM
I'm going to sign this now. This has been as issue IMO for too long.
Only about 60 years. :P
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Gawen

Odd that it's taking so long for some of you. I went through the sign up and then to email and it was already there. But that was at 6:30am.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Ali

Maybe that's a hopeful sign - the White House website is so awash with atheists that they're having trouble keeping up with us?  :D

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.