News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Hello

Started by xXxWashburnxXx, January 26, 2012, 06:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xXxWashburnxXx

Hi, my name is James. I recently became an atheist after having "thoughts" pertaining to my religion, Christianity, questioning its validity and messages it spreads. Mostly how genocide is ok some of the time and homosexuals should be killed, neither of these views I agree with. So, eventually after HOURS of thought I came to the conclusion that a "compassionate, loving, just God" could not exist. I have not told anyone irl about my religion (or lack there of).
Evolution is JUST a theory. Ya know, like gravity!

Amicale

Hey James, a very warm welcome to you!

I hope that you find the forum a great place to 'break your ideas in' -- I know I have. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

MadBomr101

It's fascinating how atheism is like the new gay.  Don't let it be.  Own it.  If someone asks you to pray for so and so or attend a service, speak in a loud, booming voice and a chest swelled with pride and tell them "No, thank you.  For I am atheist and do not participate in such activities!"

Maybe you don't have to be that theatrical about it but own it none the less.  Tank (or someone) will be along shortly for the reading of the rules.

Welcome.  We understand.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

xXxWashburnxXx

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Here's the thing, I'm 15, and still live with my parents. My father is a hardcore christian, but a truck driver and thus is almost never home. My mother... not so much. She still considers herself a christian but has begun to question the bible's message as well. It is a complicated situation. I came here seeking the opportunity to talk to like-minded people. As of right now I have no plans to tell them.

Tank

Hi Washburn

You'd be surprised how many people go through the 'WTF!' moment around your age. It's when the BS simply doesn't hold together anymore unless you really want it to!

I suggest you might like to look at the bottom link in the list below.

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Hello Washburn.

I thought teens were supposed to keep secrets from their parents.
It's good practice for later life.  ;)

Siz

Hi Washburn,

Nice to have you here.

You know there are many people here who, like me, 'tried Atheism on for size' and then discovered that it fit prefectly. Everything else just seemed to fall into place. I think it'd be a useful exercise for all agnostics and Christians to try. Just commit to one day living as if there were no god. Contrary to what most Christians think, chaos does not ensue (atheist morality is well explored on this forum). I'm sure many who genuinely gave a solid commitment would find nothing other than a well-fitting jigsaw piece in their lives. It's a more beautiful universe without god.

Anyway, have a nose around and have fun.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, xXxWashburnxXx. (I like the extra Xs.) Unless you feel a deep need for some additional drama in your life, there's no urgency to come out to your parents, in my opinion. I think that it's likely your father would blame your mother for not providing you with sufficient Christian guidance, and it could get rather unpleasant. Early days yet, and in the mean time you can learn more about both atheism and Christianity (yep, I did say Christianity; I think it's good to have a solid understanding of just what it is that you're rejecting).

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Buddy

Quote from: xXxWashburnxXx on January 26, 2012, 07:06:55 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Here's the thing, I'm 15, and still live with my parents. My father is a hardcore christian, but a truck driver and thus is almost never home. My mother... not so much. She still considers herself a christian but has begun to question the bible's message as well. It is a complicated situation. I came here seeking the opportunity to talk to like-minded people. As of right now I have no plans to tell them.

Welcome to the forum, Washburn. I think you'll fit in nicely around here.  ;D Don't worry about being young, I'm 16.

You may want start with your mom since she isn't tied to Christianity, then you'll have someone on your side if/when you tell your dad.  :)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xXxWashburnxXx

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support  :)

Firebird

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: xXxWashburnxXx on January 26, 2012, 06:23:57 AM
Hi, my name is James. I recently became an atheist after having "thoughts" pertaining to my religion, Christianity, questioning its validity and messages it spreads. Mostly how genocide is ok some of the time and homosexuals should be killed, neither of these views I agree with. So, eventually after HOURS of thought I came to the conclusion that a "compassionate, loving, just God" could not exist. I have not told anyone irl about my religion (or lack there of).
Welcome! The great late George Carlin once said if you sin he has a special place, full of fire, smoke, burning, torture, and anguish, where he will send you to live, suffer, burn, choke, scream, and cry forever and ever until the end of time. But he loves you! And he needs money!! Billions of dollars come in tax free and still they need just a little more! I guess god forgot to hire an accountant  ;D
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey