Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

The Health and/or Diet Thread

Started by Sandra Craft, January 21, 2012, 08:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

Quote from: The Black Jester on July 18, 2012, 06:01:47 PM
Quote from: Non Quixote on July 18, 2012, 04:36:56 PM
I am now stuck with an uncomfortable 240 pounds on a 6 foot frame.

I accomplished a very similar feat over a very similarly contracted period of time.  I'm now fiercely counting my Weight Watchers points.  I've lost 15.6 lbs in 5 weeks.  What's depressing is that, despite all the care, sacrifice and general misery, I've still 35 or so pounds to go before I reach my goal weight. 

I'm thinking there's something wrong with my goal weight.

I'm afraid the problem lies with your actual weight. Maybe you should adopt a slightly dress drastic regime and  ease the pain a bit. 15 pounds in 5 weeks is good going though.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Non Quixote

Quote from: The Black Jester on July 18, 2012, 06:01:47 PM
I accomplished a very similar feat over a very similarly contracted period of time.  I'm now fiercely counting my Weight Watchers points.  I've lost 15.6 lbs in 5 weeks.  What's depressing is that, despite all the care, sacrifice and general misery, I've still 35 or so pounds to go before I reach my goal weight. 

I'm thinking there's something wrong with my goal weight.
Maybe.

I'm still a little pudgy at 200, but I'm okay with it so that's my goal.  If I continue a little below that, that's okay too.  The weight is just really starting to piss me off.
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

The Black Jester

Quote from: En_Route on July 18, 2012, 06:07:28 PM

I'm afraid the problem lies with your actual weight.

You are, of course, entirely correct.  The truth of this is nicely echoed by any reflective surface I happen to be passing.

Quote from: En_Route on July 18, 2012, 06:07:28 PM
Maybe you should adopt a slightly dress drastic regime and  ease the pain a bit. 15 pounds in 5 weeks is good going though.

Tempting, and the advice is much appreciated.  I fear that my disinclination to remain as I am is currently overwhelming any potential moderation in my approach.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

The Black Jester

Quote from: Non Quixote on July 18, 2012, 06:09:42 PM
The weight is just really starting to piss me off.

Indeed, I can relate, sir.  All too well.  Oh, it was all in a hurry to climb on, but it's taking it's sweet time in leaving.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Ali

So usually, I wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt to the gym.  My workout wardrobe has gotten a little bit more "tech-y" over the past year or so; now I have some tech shirts that are supposed to wick swear or something.  So last weekend, Costco had a really good deal on some ladies running tights, so I thought what the heck, let's give them a try.  Wicking, and all that.  Whatever, I've seen men in tiny running shorts and no shirt, and women in their sports bras working out at the gym.  I can't wear Spandex pants?  If they wick? 

So I bought some spandex capri pants to wear while I work out, is what I'm trying to say.

Yesterday when I was packing my gym bag, I grabbed the spandex pants, and then the first gym shirt that I happened to lay hands on, which was a shiny fitted tech shirt that comes down to the tops of my hips.  If I had thought more about it, I probably wouldn have grabbed a long baggy t shirt to wear with the spandex pants, so that it would cover my rear.  But I didn't think about it.

I got to the gym, changed, and realized that I looked a little bit like I was wearing a homemade super hero suit (think Aaron Johnson in his scuba suit in Kick-Ass, only without the face mask.)  Everything was a bit too shiny and form fitting and splashed with racing stripes.  But whatever, I'm at the gym, no one cares what I look like.

As I was leaving the gym, I got a text from Husband.  "Can you stop by the store on your way home and pick up some mayonnaise?"  I really don't want to go into the grocery store wearing spandex pants for the same reason that I wouldn't go to the store with no pants at all, but...well....okay.  So I went to the store, got the stupid mayonnaise, and hurried out.  "Just buying mayonnaise in my spandex pants, no big deal." I was getting ready to leave the parking lot, when my cell phone rings.  It's Husband again.  "Have you left the store yet?  I'm really sorry, but can you also get some sharp cheddar cheese?"  Oh sure.  Let me just go back in the store, dressed like an extremely low budget wannabe superhero, and pick up some cheese.  So I go back in, get the cheese, and am waiting in line to pay.  I hear a small but loud voice from the next line over pipe up to say "Mommy?  Look at that girl!  Why is she dressed like that Mommy?" I think I may go back to wearing shorts and baggy t shirts. 

Siz

Quote from: Ali on July 19, 2012, 05:00:35 PM
So usually, I wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt to the gym.  My workout wardrobe has gotten a little bit more "tech-y" over the past year or so; now I have some tech shirts that are supposed to wick swear or something.  So last weekend, Costco had a really good deal on some ladies running tights, so I thought what the heck, let's give them a try.  Wicking, and all that.  Whatever, I've seen men in tiny running shorts and no shirt, and women in their sports bras working out at the gym.  I can't wear Spandex pants?  If they wick? 

So I bought some spandex capri pants to wear while I work out, is what I'm trying to say.

Yesterday when I was packing my gym bag, I grabbed the spandex pants, and then the first gym shirt that I happened to lay hands on, which was a shiny fitted tech shirt that comes down to the tops of my hips.  If I had thought more about it, I probably wouldn have grabbed a long baggy t shirt to wear with the spandex pants, so that it would cover my rear.  But I didn't think about it.

I got to the gym, changed, and realized that I looked a little bit like I was wearing a homemade super hero suit (think Aaron Johnson in his scuba suit in Kick-Ass, only without the face mask.)  Everything was a bit too shiny and form fitting and splashed with racing stripes.  But whatever, I'm at the gym, no one cares what I look like.

As I was leaving the gym, I got a text from Husband.  "Can you stop by the store on your way home and pick up some mayonnaise?"  I really don't want to go into the grocery store wearing spandex pants for the same reason that I wouldn't go to the store with no pants at all, but...well....okay.  So I went to the store, got the stupid mayonnaise, and hurried out.  "Just buying mayonnaise in my spandex pants, no big deal." I was getting ready to leave the parking lot, when my cell phone rings.  It's Husband again.  "Have you left the store yet?  I'm really sorry, but can you also get some sharp cheddar cheese?"  Oh sure.  Let me just go back in the store, dressed like an extremely low budget wannabe superhero, and pick up some cheese.  So I go back in, get the cheese, and am waiting in line to pay.  I hear a small but loud voice from the next line over pipe up to say "Mommy?  Look at that girl!  Why is she dressed like that Mommy?" I think I may go back to wearing shorts and baggy t shirts. 

Haha! No don't change back. We gotta have some motivation for going to the gym...
I hope the mayo-cheese sarnies were worth it!

With the shoe on the other foot, I was on a bus with the kids once when a very large man (in comfy sports clothing) sat down opposite us. "That's a fat one" says little M (4) matter-of-factly. With a straight face I had to respond audibly something along the lines of "Yes, some people are big aren't they?!" and tried to usher the conversation elsewhere.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Crow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on July 19, 2012, 06:04:58 PM
With the shoe on the other foot, I was on a bus with the kids once when a very large man (in comfy sports clothing) sat down opposite us. "That's a fat one" says little M (4) matter-of-factly. With a straight face I had to respond audibly something along the lines of "Yes, some people are big aren't they?!" and tried to usher the conversation elsewhere.

I so wish adults could get away with saying things like that, I certainly think them.

Great story Ali, You could have probably got away with that in some little scally night club on a friday/saturday night over here.
Retired member.

Asmodean

...And why can't an adult say that?  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ali on July 18, 2012, 04:49:09 PM
Michelle Obama arms, here I come.

My mother says similar things about Madonna's arms, being more in the age range. :D

Non Quixote and The Black Jester, first of all, congrats on shedding all those pounds (or kilos)!

One thing though, you have to be realistic and see your efforts as a long term goal, because that's what it is. You're getting there.

That's what makes it a bit more difficult IMO. If you aren't noticing the fruits of your efforts as soon and you had expected, you could try and set up a system where you get your instant gratification elsewhere. Reward yourself constantly.

(though seriously, loosing all that weight will definitely mean you look slimmer, even if you don't see it in yourself).

I personally don't like to diet. :P If I could choose, I would rather take up an intensive exercise regime and give myself and earned right to eat a few things here and there. Thing is, I've stopped with the exercise and continue to eat a few things beyond what I should.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crow

Quote from: Asmodean on July 19, 2012, 06:28:42 PM
...And why can't an adult say that?  ???

Well you can say it just not get away with it.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Quote from: Crow on July 19, 2012, 06:43:34 PM
Well you can say it just not get away with it.
Oh, I got away with worse.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Scissorlegs on July 19, 2012, 06:04:58 PM
I hope the mayo-cheese sarnies were worth it!

Haha, the mayo was for something else, but he made these darling mini-grilled guacamole and cheese sammies on french bread last night.  Totally worth the public shame of parading around in the store in spandex.

Non Quixote

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 19, 2012, 06:29:06 PM

My mother says similar things about Madonna's arms, being more in the age range. :D

Non Quixote and The Black Jester, first of all, congrats on shedding all those pounds (or kilos)!

One thing though, you have to be realistic and see your efforts as a long term goal, because that's what it is. You're getting there.

That's what makes it a bit more difficult IMO. If you aren't noticing the fruits of your efforts as soon and you had expected, you could try and set up a system where you get your instant gratification elsewhere. Reward yourself constantly.

(though seriously, loosing all that weight will definitely mean you look slimmer, even if you don't see it in yourself).

I personally don't like to diet. :P If I could choose, I would rather take up an intensive exercise regime and give myself and earned right to eat a few things here and there. Thing is, I've stopped with the exercise and continue to eat a few things beyond what I should.
My problem is that I don't excercise anymore either, but my caloric intake has increased...lol.  I'm going to stay on half rations for another week or two and start to blend in a bit of excercise as well.

And thanks for the encouragement!
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

Crow

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 19, 2012, 06:29:06 PM

Madonnas arms always reminds me of this.
Retired member.

Velma

Just home from the rheumatologist.  It's official - I have both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.  I also have two new medications - one for the rheumatoid arthritis (methotrexate) and one to counteract one of the common side effects, mouth sores (for that folic acid).
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan