News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

The Health and/or Diet Thread

Started by Sandra Craft, January 21, 2012, 08:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

Quote from: The Black Jester on July 09, 2012, 07:00:26 PM
I've lost 13 pounds since starting Weight Watchers a month ago.  Which is nice.  I have a lot more I'd like to lose, since my healthy weight range is supposed to be 159-189, and I'm currently around 229 (I started at 242).  Still can't really see the progress, which is not so nice.  But I'm still pleased.

Congratulations on losing those pounds, firstly! As a successful WW "loser" in the past, I want to encourage you to keep at it. I'm willing to bet that like me, you didn't put on the extra pounds all at once, so give yourself permission to take lots of time getting rid of them.

I'll be entering the fray again, because a few years after I stopped going to my local WW meetings I began to find those lost pounds. So I've got to do some work again to get back on track.

We have the same weight range, btw. Hope to see it again on the bathroom scale some time!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

DeterminedJuliet

I've lost 13 pounds since starting Weight Watchers a month ago.  Which is nice.  I have a lot more I'd like to lose, since my healthy weight range is supposed to be 159-189, and I'm currently around 229 (I started at 242).  Still can't really see the progress, which is not so nice.  But I'm still pleased.

It's always harder to notice weight loss on yourself. I lost 30lbs of baby weight (not including the actual baby - haha) and I found it really difficult to see the difference, at the time. It's only now, when I look back at pictures that I'm like "yep! Definitely did lose the weight!" 13 lbs in a month is awesome.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Black Jester

Quote from: McQ on July 10, 2012, 03:01:00 AM

Congratulations on losing those pounds, firstly! As a successful WW "loser" in the past, I want to encourage you to keep at it. I'm willing to bet that like me, you didn't put on the extra pounds all at once, so give yourself permission to take lots of time getting rid of them.

I'll be entering the fray again, because a few years after I stopped going to my local WW meetings I began to find those lost pounds. So I've got to do some work again to get back on track.

We have the same weight range, btw. Hope to see it again on the bathroom scale some time!

You are indeed correct, sir, the pounds did creep up slowly, like a thousand tiny little fat ninjas.  Thanks for the encouragement, it is much appreciated.  I am definitely cognizant of the dangers of wanting to shed it all too quickly.  Therein, madness (and likely failure) lies.  Still, it's difficult to be patient.  I want my change NOW, damnit! 

Good luck in your efforts as well!
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

The Black Jester

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 10, 2012, 03:06:28 AM

It's always harder to notice weight loss on yourself. I lost 30lbs of baby weight (not including the actual baby - haha) and I found it really difficult to see the difference, at the time. It's only now, when I look back at pictures that I'm like "yep! Definitely did lose the weight!" 13 lbs in a month is awesome.

30lbs is awesome!  Good for you!

Yes, indeed: my wife says she's noticed the difference, but I have to take her word for it.  My suspicion is that this has to do with how relatively slowly any change in weight takes place, when compared with how rapidly we normalize our image of ourselves.  We don't store multiple self-conceptions in memory, we have only the day's impression from which to work, which is why photographic evidence is often required to show progression.  That's my guess, anyway.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

Crow

Nice one! just under a stone in a month is impressive.

Have you also included exercise or is that purely a WW diet? Try this out if you haven't including exercise yet. Its pretty much what a personal trainer will start you with, minus them kicking your arse.
Retired member.

Ali

Jester - you're doing awesome!  Keep it up!!!

Haha Crow, I read the article you linked, and then I read another article from Men's Health: The Worst Food in America.  I was laughing, but also getting kind of mad, like who crams 2700 calories in one dish?  What kind of deviant thought that up?  Grrrrr, this is why Americans are so freakin' hefty. 

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ali on July 11, 2012, 01:16:22 AM
Jester - you're doing awesome!  Keep it up!!!

Haha Crow, I read the article you linked, and then I read another article from Men's Health: The Worst Food in America.  I was laughing, but also getting kind of mad, like who crams 2700 calories in one dish?  What kind of deviant thought that up?  Grrrrr, this is why Americans are so freakin' hefty. 

Some of those foods were pretty shocking. Though, I don't know that I cared for the author's tone. He/she writes as though you've got to be a horrible person to eat these things: "Frying anything is a bad idea, but frying fish is a debasement of one of nature's purest foods." Debasement? Really? It's fish, b'y! I try to eat as healthy as the next person, but if I had to live a life without the occasional fish 'n chips or brownie sundae, you might as well shoot me now.  :P
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Buddy

I saw a website claiming to sell the world's largest gummy bear. It was 36,000 calories.  :o
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

Quote from: Ali on July 11, 2012, 01:16:22 AM

Yeah Men's Health is a pretty bad magazine but the exercise information is always correct and up to date with the science. I bet the foods actuallly look the pictures as well, just an orange stodge.
Retired member.

Ali

How to make your own salad dressing:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/06/27/should_you_make_vinaigrette_yes_always_.html?wpisrc=obnetwork

I'm also a fan of homemade vinaigrettes.  I use my mini-Cuisinart (easier to clean than a blender) and typically use extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, soy sauce, garlic, and then whatever else I feel like (marinated artichoke hearts make a yummy addition).

The Black Jester

Quote from: Crow on July 10, 2012, 11:51:28 PM

Nice one! just under a stone in a month is impressive.

Have you also included exercise or is that purely a WW diet? Try this out if you haven't including exercise yet. Its pretty much what a personal trainer will start you with, minus them kicking your arse.

Thanks Crow!  I've not included exercise at the moment, other than easy hikes around the hills near Santa Fe.  I am definitely familiar with interval training, which is awesome for dropping pounds, but also for dropping dead.  I definitely hope to work back up to being able to handle that kind of a routine.
The Black Jester

The Black Jester

The Black Jester

Non Quixote

I finished up my career in the military a couple of years ago and left with the intention of doing three things once I was free.

1. Grow my hair to at least shoulder length for a nice pony tail.

2. Smoke an entire bale of cannabis as soon as possible.

3. Get fat as a hog (after being forced to watch my diet and excercise for too many years).

I discovered that I can't stand my hair touching my ears (not a problem when I was a teen).
I took 2 swats on a joint and was stoned beyond belief (apparently it is much more potent now, who knew?).
I did however succeed in gaining over 40 pounds in less than 2 years, without even trying very hard.

I am now stuck with an uncomfortable 240 pounds on a 6 foot frame.

So...

Two weeks ago I began a massive calorie reduction diet with light excercise (I'm lazy) and am down 4 pounds so far.  I've just about reached the limit of what 1000 calories a day can do without getting dangerous, so now to up my caloric intake and increase my excercise routine to medium.  Hope to have it all gone by January of next year at the latest, but we'll see.

I have to admit it was easier going when I had to do this crap, or at least it didn't annoy me as much.
Ya give 'em books and they just chew on the covers...
"Faith is something you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."    ~ Archie Bunker

Ali

I would be fighting mean on 1000 calories a day.  As Pudding has noted elsewhere, I'm happiest when raiding the fridge. 

I love summer time.  The advantage of having a house husband (he's a teacher, so has summers off) is that he cooks and looks after T, so I have time to workout as many days a week as I want.  Going for 6 days this week.  Today I'll do 25 minutes on one of the cardio machines, and then some light weights.  Michelle Obama arms, here I come.

The Black Jester

Quote from: Non Quixote on July 18, 2012, 04:36:56 PM
I am now stuck with an uncomfortable 240 pounds on a 6 foot frame.

I accomplished a very similar feat over a very similarly contracted period of time.  I'm now fiercely counting my Weight Watchers points.  I've lost 15.6 lbs in 5 weeks.  What's depressing is that, despite all the care, sacrifice and general misery, I've still 35 or so pounds to go before I reach my goal weight. 

I'm thinking there's something wrong with my goal weight.
The Black Jester