News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

The Health and/or Diet Thread

Started by Sandra Craft, January 21, 2012, 08:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

My plan today was to take my new camera and go for a walk.  Unfortunately, my arthritis acted up today, especially in my knees and hips.  Hopefully, I can get out tomorrow.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on May 04, 2012, 05:44:00 AM
My plan today was to take my new camera and go for a walk.  Unfortunately, my arthritis acted up today, especially in my knees and hips.  Hopefully, I can get out tomorrow.
A new camera? Do tell!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Velma

Quote from: Tank on May 04, 2012, 06:28:41 AM
A new camera? Do tell!
Nothing special.  It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS19K - a point-and-shoot megazoom.  Bit simpler than my old one.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on May 04, 2012, 06:56:06 AM
Quote from: Tank on May 04, 2012, 06:28:41 AM
A new camera? Do tell!
Nothing special.  It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS19K - a point-and-shoot megazoom.  Bit simpler than my old one.
That looks quite decent for a carry-about camera. You'll have to post some pics when you have time.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding

There have been some interesting segments here lately.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/healthreport/

Anne D.

The story on calorie restriction and/or intermittent fasting protecting against Alzheimer's was really interesting. From all the articles in the past few years, it sounds like calorie restriction has a whole host of health benefits. No way I could ever do it, though. I can exercise regularly with no problem, but I love to eat. Quality of life and all.

Squid

Quote from: Whitney on May 04, 2012, 03:22:09 AM
I've been going to the gym consistently for a couple weeks now in addition to physical therapy.  I put back on about 10lbs from not doing anything when my ankle started having issues but i can feel that it is coming back off again...however I'm going to avoid weighing myself for a while since I'm also incorporating weight lifting and don't want to get hung up on weight gain that isn't bad.  I'm having to invest so much time and money into this ankle issue that I think it alone will be a good motivator to not get lazy later down the road....that and I don't want to have worse issues when I'm old.

I've been hitting the gym consistently again too.  I had a long stint without a car of my own because Suzukis are evil and it sat in a shop for over two months plus I got my yearly ass-kicking illness on top of that.  So I eventually made it back to the gym and am lifting mostly and doing a bit of treadmill afterwards.  I also started doing some bodyweight exercises - mostly old school bootcamp stuff (the real bootcamp where someone's yelling at you with threats of bodily harm and not the one on TV where they have camo spandex bike shorts and headsets) and slowly trying to bring back some of my old shaolin drills.  All this was much easier 12 years ago...

I've also started eating more veggies like spinach, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, etc.  As for supplements, so far I'm just taking a multivitamin and green tea extract.  I'm going to add BCAAs as soon as I can grab some from one of the health stores.

Ali

Considering going to get a snack.  I've been watching what I eat the last couple of days because I tried on some capris at Target on Sunday and the size I usually wear was a bit snug.  Not that I'm obsessing about my weight or anything, but I do try to monitor and get things under control before it becomes a big problem.  I'd rather lose 5 lbs now than have 20 to lose later.

Anyway, had a bagel with cream cheese and fruit for breakfast, and a big salad with egg and cheese and more fruit for lunch.  Per my calorie counter I'm at 900+ calories, so it's not like I'm starving, and I still have a good 600-800 to spend for the rest of the night to stay within my goal.  But my MIL is bringing me dinner, so not sure what that is going to be (might take up the rest of my calories!)

I think I'll drink a glass of water and go for a walk.  If I'm still hungry after that I'll go get some trail mix out of the vending machine.  Not the lowest cal thing I could find, but the nuts and fruit should have more nutritional value than a candy bar or a bag of chips.  I hope.  LOL

DeterminedJuliet

I hear you, Ali. I'm normally pretty balanced in my eating, but I have to watch myself. I have been known to binge on chocolate/sweets from time to time. There was an infamous Easter weekend when the husband and I ate an entire 1.2 kilogram bag of mini-eggs in about 72 hours. It was baaaaad.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Oh man.  You know what I love?  Those Cadbury Creme eggs that they sell around Easter....*drool*  I could easily eat about a kilo of those in a weekend....

Tank

Quote from: Ali on June 05, 2012, 11:08:05 PM
Oh man.  You know what I love?  Those Cadbury Creme eggs that they sell around Easter....*drool*  I could easily eat about a kilo of those in a weekend....
Welcome to type 2 diabetes!!!

Ali

Quote from: Tank on June 06, 2012, 02:27:38 PM

Hahaha!  Lucky for me, they only come out once a year.  Unfortunately for me, my darling husband knows how much I love them and always comes back with at least one when he goes to the store during that time of year.

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on June 06, 2012, 03:56:25 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 06, 2012, 02:27:38 PM

Hahaha!  Lucky for me, they only come out once a year.  Unfortunately for me, my darling husband knows how much I love them and always comes back with at least one when he goes to the store during that time of year.

I shouldn't do this to you, but I cannot but point out that round here anyway, Frys Chocolate Cream Bars which offer a similarly sinful but  seductive combination of chocolate and goo, are available the whole year round.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Crow

Quote from: En_Route on June 06, 2012, 04:32:42 PM
I shouldn't do this to you, but I cannot but point out that round here anyway, Frys Chocolate Cream Bars which offer a similarly sinful but  seductive combination of chocolate and goo, are available the whole year round.

They still sell them! where? I haven't seen them for years, the orange were my favorite. But you can buy cream eggs and the bar versions of them year round here (oh and mini eggs as well).
Retired member.

En_Route

Quote from: Crow on June 06, 2012, 04:44:56 PM
Quote from: En_Route on June 06, 2012, 04:32:42 PM

They still sell them! where? I haven't seen them for years, the orange were my favorite. But you can buy cream eggs and the bar versions of them year round here (oh and mini eggs as well).

Here  in Northern Ireland they are freely available, tribute to  our infatuation with tradition and historic continuity.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).